Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering GPS-looking for others to share their experiences

Hello, I am new to this site. I am 40 years old with a BMI of 39.6. I have been overweight for most of my life, with the exception of high school and a couple of years after I was married. Right before my wedding, I had dieted down to 130 pounds with the help of Phen Fen. I had my daughter when I was 30 and gained over 60 pounds that I was never able to lose. In fact, the weight kept creeping up after that, and I now weigh about 10 pounds more than I did when I was full-term pregnant. I have been trying for the past 10 years to lose the weight, but I can only lose a little bit at a time, then I gain it all back plus more. You all know how it goes. I have lost and gained the same six pounds for the past year or so. I can never make any long term progress.

I got fed up and started considering a lap band, because I thought that was the only option besides a gastric by-pass, which I am not willing to do. When I called Bluegrass Bariatrics, they suggested that I consider the gastric plication. They said they had had a lot of success with it, and it was the cheapest option, which makes a difference for me because my health insurance won't cover a dime.

I've read all the posts here, and I am both excited about the prospect of having the surgery, and terrified all at the same time. I want my life back, I want to be able to do all the things that I can't or won't due because of my weight. Part of me still thinks this is ridiculous, that I should just be able to knuckle down and diet and exercise and lose the weight without any surgical intervention. But I've read the statistics, that only about 3-5% will actually succeed with this approach.

I went to a seminar this past weekend and met Dr. Oldham. I really liked him, and he's gotten good reviews on this site. I have my intake appointment on 2/15, and when all those results are back, I will have my surgeon consult. I am going through the process, with the knowledge that I can still back out if the fear gets to be too much for me to go through with it. I am terrified of severe pain and complications, although I have been through a c-section with a vertical incision. My husband is also very scared for me to do this, and people keep telling me that I'm not big enough that I should be considering surgery.

Is what I'm feeling pretty normal? I would love to hear from some others who have been through this, and also folks who have had their surgeries wiht Bluegrass Bariatrics. I am looking forward to talking with you all, and I thank you in advance for sharing your experiences with me.

Hi amw, what you're feeling is totally normal as I also thought why don't I try harder, but as you rightly say only ~5% dieters succeed. Sadly GPS hasn't really helped me apart from the first 4 weeks. Now that I'm fully recovered I get just as hungry as before and it really doesn't restrict me volume-wise. I'm 2 months out and feel saddened at this as this is obviously a self-pay procedure. There's another girl on here who's 6 months out who also had GPS who is the same. I have heard the same of one VSGer so it's not to say that it doesn't happen with that too, but I think it's a lower percentage, as there are A LOT more VSGers out there than GPSers.

With VSG I think you have better revision possibilities too (DS conversion, or ROSE technique which has limited success but some success nevertheless). I wouldn't rule VSG out. Just keep reading and keep posting both here and on other forums and find out as much as you can, so you can make the most informed choice you possibly can. Sorry if I've thrown you a curve ball, but I wanted to be honest - as most people that struggle probably keep it to themselves due to shame.

FYI I started at a BMI of 30 and have dropped to 28 and now I don't feel any different to before re appetite.

Anyway, I wish you every success with whatever you go for and hope you'll keep posting.

BTW this person here http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=12850 did suffer a complication. Whilst VSG complications are probably a lot more prevalent than GPS complications, I think the hospital looks for them more as they're a bit more expected. Tiffykins suffered a leak (although the band had eroded her stomach as conversions are more risky), but she came through and she totally advocates the sleeve.

I had my surgery in montreal by Michel Gagner. He was one of the doctors that invented ds, and vsg...He recently learned and practiced in Iran with Dr Tabelour who invented gsp. Dr Tabelour was the doctor that invented gsp and has 5 year results similar to vsg... Dr Gagner also sits on and supervises many worldwide conferences on bariatric surgery.... Im not boosting him as the only doctor to go to or the one that has done the most...I just want it to be known that he believes the gsp surgery will someday replace lapband. He did tell me of possible complications like stomach preforation, and lack of blood supply to the stomach...However he said that a surgeon should moniter the swelling and stomach for 3 days right after surgery...To prevent stomach preforation and lack of blood supply later on...He said that if you have to much swelling in the first 48 hours it may cause stomach preforation...If he sees this swelling he goes in and removes some stitching to loosen the stomach and try to avoid preforation later on...I had to have a stomach tube that came out of my nose for 2 days to elevate the pressure in my stomach, reduce swelling and help with vomiting...He said that my stomach swelled anymore that he would have to go in again and take out some of the stitches...but I was fortunate not to have a problem. I have major restriction still I can only get in about 2-4 oz of chicken in...and I still am lucky that i don't feel hunger. I actually have to remind myself to eat...I think that when researching this surgery you have to realize that 1. There are some like any surgery that will have complications 2. There isn't alot of info on GSP 3. Because of this I would research, research and research the procedure that is right for you and try to find a very qualified doctor...WOuld I do GSP again ....Yes...Do I feel restriction YEs...Did my doctor tell me that down the road if I needed more restriction I could have a revision with VSG YEs...Did he say that some will have to a revision like other wls...YES...I just chose GSP because I wasn't ready at the time to have a vsg and remove my stomach...but if down the road i might need a revision i would have a vsg..Hope this helps...

Just wanted to add that I had surgery on Dec 20, 2010...and have lost 25 lbs so far...