Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Las Vegas people out there?

prettyfaythe try efinancing solutions I found the on a link from my dr's website which was Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta....I also have seen it on other Dr's web sites like Ortiz etc............I think your credit has to be at 620 but maybe not it is just awful how if your credit is not so good they punish you further with higher finance charges.....good luck give it a try

Hello fellow lap banders!

I originally planned to have the surgery in late December. I went to Tijuana and met Dr. Ortiz. He is impressive. I am 55 years old, an attorney, and not impressed by too many people, but Dr. Ortiz was quite a plesant surprise! I've also reviewed Dr. Ortiz' CV, and duirng our meeting he told me that he proctored Dr. Fisher (Vegas lap band MD). His CV also stated that he proctored Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach, CA (my hometown). If he is good enough to train local docs and my hometown hospital, then he is the man I want. I've moved my surgery date up to 10/31/06.

I know what I am giving up by traveling out of the country for this surgery: My right to sue a doctor and to have his malpractice insurance cover any claim that I might bring. I am willing to give up the right to litigate because I believe Dr. Ortiz is an expert in lap bands. I have also investigated surgery in Europe, India and Asia. Dr. Ortiz' clinic was immaculate and he was willing to give me as much "face" time as I needed to answer my questions. Believe me, I had questions. I have been researching lap band surgery for years. I also enjoyed discussing the practice of medicine with Dr. Ortiz because too many doctors in the U.S. must do what insurance companies tell them to do (When was an insurance company given a license to practice medicine?). I went to Dr. Fisher's seminar and was amused that if Dr. Fisher did my lap band, I would have to meet with a psychologist to ensure that I was suitable for the surgery. I am an adult, let me make up my own mind as to whether or not I want weight loss surgery. A hurdle, such as a psych eval, must be an insurance company requirement, just as all of the other hurdles (such as requiring you to attend a seminar to learn about the types of weight loss surgery and the mortality rates associated with them) insurance companies throw at us to keep us from our benefits.

Sorry for rattling on like this - I have opinons about how our doctors are "allowed" to practice medicine and, in my opinion, how insurance companies keep us from getting the care we really need. :angry

I'm looking forward to loosing at least 100 lbs. How much can I expect to lose in the first 3 months? Do you think I will be down 50 pounds by March? I have an annual legal conference to attend and want to be well on my way to loosing weight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the trip home from Mexico comfortable?

Thank you for all the updates and information you provide. I'm hoping to repay you all in kind.

Lynn

Lynn,

Good choice! I love Dr. Ortiz too. I flew down and had them meet me at the airport. If you are flying try to get the time as close to the check out time as you can from the hotel. I had to sit around for 4 hours and lug my luggage around, Not comfortable for sure.

If you're driving, you should be comfortable in the back seat ;)

Because he has us on liquids for so long after the surgery, you will probably lose fast. I was dying for some real food but lost an unbelievable 19 lbs in 10 days! Well worth it :)

The one draw back to surgery in Mexico is making the time to get down there. My first fill has been too tight and I haven't been able to eat much of anything that's good, i.e., vegtables, meat... I'm looking into doctors here for a fill but I dont think they use the fluro ;(

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheryl

I am also in las vegas and had my first fill in TJ on Sept 11 I went to http://www.obesitygoodbye.com/the airfare was 100 and the floro fill was 200....They pick you up at the airport and bring you back ...I just feel better with the idea of floro....I couldn't get a floro fill for 300 in Vegas.....

Hi all,

I am new to Las Vegas. I moved here from the San Francisco Bay area in June of 2006. I had my surgery on August 1, 2006 in Tijuana, with Dr. Ortiz. I was very impressed with the treatment I received immediately before and immediately after the surgery.

I would love to hear your recommendations for a fill doctor in the Las Vegas area.

Also, if any of you are interested in working out together, I am a member of the Fitness 19 at Ann & Simmons (or is it Decatur & Simmons?) It is in N. Las Vegas.

I have flown to TJ 3 times for fills I get a 88 dollar round trip ticket and they pick you up at the San Diego airport.... and the fill with floroscope is 150.00 and have been very happy.....I go to Obesity Goodbye....my surgery was done in Puerto Vallarta but I was reccomended to the team in tj

oh! i'm in henderson (old school henderson... none of that fancy green valley crap) LOL. sorry... reflex!! i grew up here!

anyhow, not yet banded. next month!!!

Hi, Silverado Ranch, I am in Green Valley. Was banded 4/10/07 Dr. Aceves in Mexacali. Good experience. My weight loss is not what I would like...yeah I know it's only been 10 days, but 3 others having surgery the same day have lost 12, 14 & 16 # which makes my 5# ummm disapointing!Wanna walk? joanne

I know...superficial, well yeah. BUT the white fat is so unattractive and has anyone out there used a tanning bed in the first month or so post op? PUHLEEZ don't reference harmful effects, I'm aware of them. Just interested if you have done it and been prevented by doc's cautions. Thanks, jb