Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long til cleared for travel?

jencomenz
Sign in to follow this  

I've been on this journey since August and finally get to meet with the surgeon on February 24th! So needless to say: no approval from insurance yet and no surgery date yet.

My family has a cruise booked for June 12th. I was wondering if I should have a cut off date in mind for surgery before the cruise vs surgery after the cruise? I don't care about being skinny for vacation (although it would be nice) I am mostly concerned about being healed and comfortable. It would be hard to pass up any surgery date at this point but I don't want to be miserable on the cruise either.

Any suggestions on a realistic timeline would be helpful.

Thanks, Jen

I've been on this journey since August and finally get to meet with the surgeon on February 24th! So needless to say: no approval from insurance yet and no surgery date yet.

My family has a cruise booked for June 12th. I was wondering if I should have a cut off date in mind for surgery before the cruise vs surgery after the cruise? I don't care about being skinny for vacation (although it would be nice) I am mostly concerned about being healed and comfortable. It would be hard to pass up any surgery date at this point but I don't want to be miserable on the cruise either.

Any suggestions on a realistic timeline would be helpful.

Thanks, Jen

I waited 3 month to get mine so I would have help around the house. I think its a good idea to wait... you don't want to feel crapy on your cruise, and to state the obvious, the cruise food would just go to waste immediately after surgery.

I went on vacation for three weeks out of the country, a month before surgery, and I'm glad it was then. I had enough time after getting back to lose a few vacation pounds, and have my meetings and blood tests and get the house ready for me. The time went by quickly.

The first four weeks are the most difficult - trying to figure out your food plan, lack of energy, etc.

People fly home from Mexico all the time at 3-4 days out so I don't think there are any "rules" for travel.

Yes, you won't be eating much on the cruise - you might want to consider if you think you'll be mentally ready to be around that much food. While we get through it, many people have a bit of an issue watching people throw down tons of food when you can only fit in 1/4c to 1/2c at a time.

I would say you are safe at 6-8 weeks as far as how you feel, healing, and energy levels. Your surgeon can provide more insight on that.

I'm in the same boat (ship? lol) I'm going on a cruise at the end of May and figure I might get scheduled for surgery in April... perhaps I'll have to delay it until I return, I'd hate to have zero energy on a trip I've been planing for over a year.

I'm in the same boat (ship? lol) I'm going on a cruise at the end of May and figure I might get scheduled for surgery in April... perhaps I'll have to delay it until I return, I'd hate to have zero energy on a trip I've been planing for over a year.

I went on a cruise Dec. 17-31 and then spent two day in Orlando, returning home Jan. 2. Came home and started my pre-op diet on Jan. 3. Got sleeved on the 13th.

I am so glad my surgery was right after a cruise. I had so much fun...and kind of saw it as my last chance to eat what I wanted, how much I wanted, and when I wanted. I was also very active... shuffle board, wave runner in the open ocean, boating, walking, swimming in the ocean. I would have hated to miss out on any of this.

Now I can't wait to lose all this weight and go on another cruise!

Yep, ThatDudesMom is right, wait till after. You'll be especially nauseated at the sight of all that food! Like she said, have a last blast, pig out THEN go on the pre-op diet and have surgery.

If you were to develop - God forbid - any kind of problems it is VERY expensive to get you off the boat and back to a hospital.

I'm sure whoever you are traveling with will appreciate it too.

I would do your surgery post cruise also. I did a wonderful family vacation to Hawaii 2 months before I was sleeved and yes it would have been nice to be "skinnier" but we had a great time, and I indulged in macadamia nuts every day! Also gave me some great "before" pictures at my heaviest.

Now I just need to go back after I hit goal and enjoy it all over again. ;)

I just talked to a fellow sleeveie about this yesterday who suggested if you're going on a cruise after surgery, wait at least 2-3 months after. The effects of motion-sickness on a newly sleeved tummy didn't even occur to me (I'm not prone to motion sickness and didn't have a problem on my last cruise over 10 years ago). I'm cruising the last week of May, so I'm hoping for a miracle and a surgery date in March, or I'll have mine done in June.

Thanks everyone for your insite! I think that I knew in my heart what the answer was, but I didn't want to admit that I might be waiting until July for the first day of the rest of my life. I will set my cut off date at 12 weeks and that would mean unless by some miricle I'm approved in early March then I will be stuffing myself silly on this cruise :)