Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So What's the Deal with Milk?

I totally get the Don't Drink your Calories as it's been told to us over and over again throughout all the different "diets" but now that my stomach can only hold a TINY amount of food, I HAVE to drink a lot of my calories in order to get my Protein in each day! I (and my Doc and NUT) are more concerned with my Protein intake in with the amount of calories I intake. Granted, I haven't gone over 900 calories yet even with drinking a lot of my calories!!

I have to agree with Sheila. Not only was I told to avoid drinking calories, your drink isn't just calories, it is is crazy high in calories, if my math is correct, this should be 60+200+100=360 calories. That is A LOT for 32 grams of Protein. I believe you that it tastes great but I think I rather get my 30g through my Wheybolic Protein shake for 140 calories. It may not taste as nicely, but the difference of 220 calories is basically a whole meal for me or an awesome treat. I can have a cup of Edy's Fun Flavor ice cream which is usually between 190 and 250 depending on flavor. Or I can have a nice glass of wine, or chocolate mousse or...you get my point :-)

I was told that I should stay around 900 calories (now 9 weeks out) and I have no problem doing that and not feeling like I am sacrificing. If I would have a cup of hot chocolate with 360 calories, I would get in trouble staying within my limit or have to sacrifice a meal

Each surgeon/nutritionist have different guidelines and calorie requirements, and we should respect that. I had a few chocolate mlikshakes w protein in and still enjoy them once in a while, they come to about 250 cal and if I have to sacrifice a meal fot them I do. We are all different and different things work for different people.

Chilo, that is probably true, but I just wanted to note that yeah - it probably tastes great but it also has more calories than anything else I take in as a single item. I am pretty sure that most people would be very hesitant to spend 360 calories on a cup of hot cocoa. And I also think it is not a good "new addiction" as Armstrong called it for someone who is still in the middle of the losing process. :(

You say your shake has 250 calories and you use it to replace a meal. 360 is almost 50% more than your shake!

Once the nutritional values are mention, everyone is of course free to drink it or not and I'll be the last to tell anyone they can't have it.

It's true, using (cow) milk in my Protein Shake does add in the calories, but what is frustrating on that score is that my Protein Powder itself is so dang high in carbs. I use MAX Protein, Click protein, and Syntha-6 protein powders, and a single serving of any one of these averages out to about half my daily quota for carbs! And while we are on the subject, we ar encouraged (at least I have been by my surg & nut) to continue to use Protein Shakes etc., isn't that "drinking" our calories? The only low carb protein shake I have found is SO disgusting, with the most hideous texture *shudder*.

Globetrotter, my nutritionist said the same, but I think this is just a trade-off because reaching the Protein goal is VERY important and the only way many can get there is with a Protein shake. But I think that was kinda my point - taking my Protein is a little bit akin to taking a Vitamin pill or so - I know I have to do it but I don't want this "chore" to add to my calories. If you have a problem taking in your calorie goal to start with, as Armstrong explained, it is probably OK. I generally have no problem eating my 800-900 calories with healthy, satisfying foods so to me (me personally, we are all different), it seemed like an excessive amount of calories.

I am actually mentally doing protein ratios or what I consider the "protein density" - protein grams per calorie. My Wheybolic Protein Shake has 30g for 140 calories which is a ratio of 0.214. The hot chocolate Protein Drink is 32g for 360 calories which is 0.089. My favorite Breakfast (an over easy egg on top of a slice of lean ham or chicken) is 32g for 190 calories so 0.168. My Fage 2% yogurt is 17g for 130 calories so 0.131. I am always trying to get a fairly high protein density in my foods - that doesn't mean I don't have a cookie or a scoop of ice cream, but if I am going for a protein supplement, I try to get the most protein out of the smallest amount of calories.

Did I mention that I am slightly OCD and ADD? Anyways...just thought I'd mention it :-)

PS: if you are focusing on carbs more than calories, it may be interesting for you to calculate the protein per carb ratio instead of protein per calorie

It's true, using (cow) milk in my Protein shake does add in the calories, but what is frustrating on that score is that my Protein powder itself is so dang high in carbs. I use MAX Protein, Click protein, and Syntha-6 protein powders, and a single serving of any one of these averages out to about half my daily quota for carbs! And while we are on the subject, we ar encouraged (at least I have been by my surg & nut) to continue to use Protein shakes etc., isn't that "drinking" our calories? The only low carb Protein Shake I have found is SO disgusting, with the most hideous texture *shudder*.

My surgeon is HUGE on NO shakes AFTER 6 WEEKS. So essentially we are cut off from using shakes as a protein source. All the NUTs push that as well. Of course there are times when it is appropriate to have a shake instead of a meal, but they push hard for us to get all our protein from our food and not from shakes or drinks. This is just my surgeon's plan, someone else might have a different plan.

Have you tried Jay Robb protein powder? It is sweetened with Stevia and for one scoop of powder you get 25g of protein and only 1g of carb.

yeah, it's funny how topics tend to migrate! I decided against the milk, just because it makes me too anxious to drink it, I'm afraid of all the carbs. So this morning I made my shake with Water, it's not as tasty that's for sure. Plus I found a GNC powder that is low carb, 4 gs. My surgeon and nutritionist both were happy to hear that I was still supplementing with Protein Shakes and bullets the last time we spoke which was around 4 months out.

So ... is milk like a big no no or something? I made my Protein shake this morning using a cup of whole D milk, then I input it into my online food tracker. Sure it had 11 grams of carbs but all in all I didn't see anything at all wrong with it - my daily total still didn't come above 30 grams. Here on the forum though, I keep seeing people talking about how their doctors and nutritionists pooh-pooh the drinking of milk and people seem to wag their fingers over drinking "too much" of it.

So, what's the scoop?

I, like you, used milk for my Protein shakes all the time from day one. . . only difference I used Mootopia instead (high protein low carb milk) it surely didn't hurt me either. . . but i guess like some folks state here, some people get lactose intolerant, but those are the ones to stay away, if it's working for you great. . . like i said, didn't hurt me and i lost 53lbs in the first 7 weeks and a total of 145lb thusfar. . . not too shabby if you ask me. . . good luck!

It's true, using (cow) milk in my Protein shake does add in the calories, but what is frustrating on that score is that my Protein powder itself is so dang high in carbs. I use MAX protein, Click protein, and Syntha-6 protein powders, and a single serving of any one of these averages out to about half my daily quota for carbs! And while we are on the subject, we ar encouraged (at least I have been by my surg & nut) to continue to use protein shakes etc., isn't that "drinking" our calories? The only low carb Protein Shake I have found is SO disgusting, with the most hideous texture *shudder*.

Have you tried the low carb Muscle Milk? It's pretty good.

ugh barf to the muscle milk, the RTD kind anyway. Also barf to the RTD myoplex, retch! I did find a GNC whey powder that has only 4 gs carb per serving and comes in chocolate caramel so that's good. Am definitely interested in JayRobb, will look into it when I go home. The only time I consume milk is if I put it in my shake and I've stopped doing that, just from pure guilt!! It didn't negatively affect my weight loss but seeing how high it made my daily carb and cal intake, was just too much anxiety and I couldn't take it!! I tried soy, but it still had ELEVEN freakin grams of Protein in an itty bitty cup. Maybe a cup of whole D full cream milk will be my once weekly treat on say, Monday mornings.