Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I have a question.... how the heck am I suppose....

I was sleeved on Monday and I know I am suppose to get in between 40-60 grams of Protein and between 48-64 oz of Water. But how in the world do I do that when I can only drink 30 ml every 10-15 minutes?????

I found that the Super whey Protein bulletins (which are 26g of protein) taste good so between that and other protein supplements I get a good 35g of protein but still this no where near the 48 oz of water. I feel like I sip all the time and still I don't see how I can get all my fluids in. Anyone else having the same problem???

Thanks for any advice. - Tiffany

I sipped 2oz every 15 minutes so over an 8 hour day I could hit 64oz of clear fluids. I couldn't tolerate Protein Drinks so I went without until I hit mushies, and my surgeon wasn't too alarmed because staying hydrated was far more important in his mind than Protein grams. The clear Proteins count as clear fluids as well so that counts towards your Fluid intake. sugar free popsicles are typically close to 3-4oz of fluid(I let one melt and measured the liquid) so I chowed down on sf popsicles as well.

I am right there with you. I can drink, but my problem is not having a desire for much. Most things make sick just thinking about it (broth, Jello, etc). I did drink some sugar free hot chocolate very thin and that helped. I drink a lot of decaffinated hot tea. The warm drinks are easy for me to get down. There is no way I can get the Protein in right now. I almost gagged when I tried to drink a Protein Shake today. I am getting my fluids in and that is my focus for the first week. We can do it!

I am right there with you. I am sipping gatoraid too because i am so scared of getting dehydrated. I can't possibly get in the liquids & the Proteins & the Vitamins. Esp the vitamins. they make me want to puke just smelling them:( I am sipping Water or crystal light and gatoraid. Eating little bits of Jello. Also have been sipping on the gladiator smoothie from smoothie king. It has 45 g of Protein. I was sleeved on Monday too and I thought I would be feeling better by now, but I am not!

Hi Firefly - congrats on your new sleeve!!

Right now, just do the very best you can. It is going to be extremely difficult to get in all your targets. It will get much better and much easier in time, and soon you will see that you can get all of that and then some. I'm almost four months out and I can get in about 80g Protein and 80 oz Water.

It does get better, hang in there!! Stay hydrated though, that is your #1 concern right now. :)

Hi TIffany!

To get 64 oz of Fluid we would literally need 4 oz an hour all day and night so I guess what Im doing (and what everyone else is saying) is just get in as much as you can :) This will pass (soon hopefully, I miss food already:\) Oh there goes my stomach making weird noises lol..

Well good luck if you feel like I do this is a crappy stage but we'll get through it!

I had my surgery done on 11/19/10 so I'm now 6 wks post op with my 6 wk appt tomorrow. I have a very hard time drinking Protein Shakes for some reason and have tried numerous kinds with no luck. What I do use now to get extra Protein to my soft/mashed foods is adding plain greek yogurt to my foods, which tastes basically like sour cream. There are different kinds of greek yogurt out there with different amounts of protein but what I found best to use is Athenos Greek Strained nonfat yogurt. It has 140 cal for one cup, 0 fat and 23 grams of protein. I try to add it to whatever I can (some foods of course don't work). I'll have a baked potatoe with about 1/4 cup of it on it with some reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I'll make smoothies and add it to those as well. Scrambled egg, I'll add a dab if it to that. I've made white bean chicken chili (ground up chicken) and include it in there too. There are also times I will try to eat just the yogurt and some sliced peaches to it or mix it with cottage cheese. Of course there are those days I just have a hard time eating anything so I've been eating a lot of egg drop soup.. That goes down really well plus its some protein and fluids at the same time. I always add the yogurt to potatoe Soup too. I make things from scratch so I can control the sodium in but have also gone to a chinese restuarant for egg drop soup for a "quick" meal. Back in the nasty pureed days I didn't think I would ever be able to eat normal food again but its getting better and better with each day. I have lost a total of 56 lbs (26 lbs pre op) and I walk a lot. Good luck to you! It does get better.