Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who have had revisions

As I'm trying to research and learn as much about the Sleeve as possible, bouge sizes, pre and post op challenges, etc, it seems that at least from this site that there are a lot of people on here who have had the lap band and going for the sleeve or have already gone the route of the sleeve.

I guess where I'm going with this is that I understand the WLS is only a tool, etc... And, so I'm curious for those that had previous WL surgeries (lap band or whatever), what was it that made you feel the surgery didn't work. Yeah, probably weight gain- but how much of maybe could it have been not following a a better lifestyle (food choices and exercise).

I realize some may have had medical complications, but other than that what do you feel was the cause for your 1st surgeries failure? Second, do you worry that long term you may experience similar challenges or weight gain?

I am asking this only because having had the VBG back in 1998, I think back to what led me to where I am today. To be honest, I felt I did fairly well after the surgery even though I never lost the last 40# or so. I started with a weight of around 305# and got down to about 170# in about a years time. I was not referred to a nutritionist nor were there any support groups (surgery was too new at the time here) and so while I knew I needed to make some major lifestyle changes, it just wasn't permanent. I'm now at about 240# and have bounced up and down over the years- just can't ever get it to stay off much less gain back more. It became worse with job losses/ high stress job a few years ago (triggers for me)...

So, it leads me to wondering, somewhat concerned about having this happen again. Yes, it means making a commitment to a healthy lifestyle change- but it obviously wasn't permanent or I wouldn't be here considering a revision. I ask myself now that I'm a little older if I am more mature (was 26 then), and now armed with more knowledge, access to support groups, etc if that will be enough.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice- I get that. Just wanted to hear from others if they had concerns going into a revision if they wondered if they might end up where they were "x" months post-op from their 1st surgery.

Thanks for anyone's feedback.

I feel like my band failed me more than I failed the band. I did work out and eat "the band way" the first year and my band still broke. It had a leak, fell apart, starting pulling on my esophogus, and I could go on and on. I never felt like I got what I was told I was getting with the band. I never really had restriction and I was always hungry. I decided to revise when my band stared causing me extreme physical pain. I know I have what it takes to lose the weight, I just need the help keeping it off. With the help of my doctor, the wonderful friends on this forum, and research, I felt that the sleeve was the best choice for me. I am just starting my sleeve journey, but I really am so happy and feel I made the right decision.

I worked my band to death. I did lose 23-25lbs the first 2-3 months, but then the pain really was getting out of hand. Add chronic pain not only from the flipped port that had migrated in my abdomen, and caused the tubing to pull on my stomach with every meal, every twist, every movement other than lying still, and a douchebag band surgeon that didn't believe it was "that bad", is why my band failed me. It was a combination of surgeon being a toolbag and the band not working properly. I could eat a steak one day, and then puke on Water the next. It was weird, my restriction would range, and some days I could eat dense, good foods, but most days, I had to eat sliders just to eat. I did gain back 16 of those initial pounds lost over the next 5 months while I jumped through hoops, fought our insurance, and tried like hell to get revised to VSG.

The band never gave me true satiety. I would eat, and get hunger once the food slipped through the pouch. I essentially dieted just like before I did before the band, but one some days(more days than not), I'd end up puking 2-3 meals up a day and have to go back to full liquids for a day or two to let my stomach relax again.

I honestly do not worry about a little bounce back gain. My goal was 150, I'm anywhere between 123-129 (hovering around 127 since Halloween, holiday junk food). Disciplined choices with the sleeve are so much easier than doing it on my own. I still am never physically hungry. Eating Protein first is just a habit now. Do I make the "not so greatest choice" on occasion? Yes, but I don't believe in depriving myself of the "good stuff" on occasion.

I wanted to be as "normal" as possible, and guess what naturally skinny bitches eat Cookies on occasion. That's what I wanted. To be a skinny bitch, and have a life outside of dieting and exercising myself to death, and being miserable.

The sleeve gave it to me.

Thanks guys, and I'm glad you posted Tiffkins. I knew you had a revision also, but couldn't remember the details.

So, Tiffkins question for you as you seem so knowledgeable about the different surgeries. I'm really leaning towards the Sleeve, but I feel I really need to understand the other options out there but scooping information up from this website and that website and on and on is getting overwhelming and still not really giving me a really good way to understand what my best option would be.

I understand speaking with a Bariatric surgeon is a good start, and I will do that as soon as I finish a couple of their hurdles- but a concern I have is that that surgeon typically will specialize in certain procedures which is fine- but then I'm still not going to have all the facts on all the different WL procedures. I'm considering calling my PCP tomorrow and see if he might be any help with helping me digest the information- but as a GP, I'm not sure that's going to yield me the results I want either.

I just don't want to hop on the latest fad because its popular right now and then regret it later.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks guys, and I'm glad you posted Tiffkins. I knew you had a revision also, but couldn't remember the details.

So, Tiffkins question for you as you seem so knowledgeable about the different surgeries. I'm really leaning towards the Sleeve, but I feel I really need to understand the other options out there but scooping information up from this website and that website and on and on is getting overwhelming and still not really giving me a really good way to understand what my best option would be.

I understand speaking with a Bariatric surgeon is a good start, and I will do that as soon as I finish a couple of their hurdles- but a concern I have is that that surgeon typically will specialize in certain procedures which is fine- but then I'm still not going to have all the facts on all the different WL procedures. I'm considering calling my PCP tomorrow and see if he might be any help with helping me digest the information- but as a GP, I'm not sure that's going to yield me the results I want either.

I just don't want to hop on the latest fad because its popular right now and then regret it later. The surgeries I've found so far are:

* DS

* Gastric Bypass

* Gastric Bypass w/Fobi

* Mini-Gastric Bypass

* RnY

* RnY w/ring around the Stoma

* Lapband (out for me)

* Realize Adjustable Gastric Band (is this like the lapband)

* VSG- (leaning towards)

* VBG (what I had already)

Did I miss any others?

I just don't want to hop on the latest fad because its popular right now and then regret it later.

The easiest way for me to break down the surgeries for you is:

RNY and DS both malabsorptive. DS is the most complicated, and most drastic with a true switch in how your body metabolizes food, fat, calories. High fat intake is necessary, and the Vitamin regimen is on average of 20-30 Vitamins per day, and this is not an exaggeration. RNY had too many long term complications, and far too many people looking for revisions due to stoma or pouch stretching and high incidence regain. DS was a no go for me. You could not pay me to have that surgery. Sorry, but the malabsorptive rate on DS is far too much for me to accept. I know it's a great surgery for some, but honestly I figured if I couldn't lose and maintain with a restrictive only procedure then I didn't need to be having WLS to begin with.

All of the others you've listed are, would not be an option for me, nor did I do tons of research on them. The mini GB is a waste of money. So many people have revised to the full GB because of lack of weight loss. RNY with ring or band is just wasteful and most end up revising, most good surgeons won't

In my blog, you'll find my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision.

Google : DS long term complications and Vitamin regimen

Check out obesityhelp.com and look at the revision board, and RNY board so you can get a good view of other people's experiences. I know more people with complications with RNY and DS than I care to count.

Also for me, I found great comfort in doing research on gastrectomies performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients. Gastrectomies have been performed for over 30 years, and I found a lot of people living very full, healthy, with either most or all of their stomachs gone.

The sleeve has actually been performed as the first stage of the DS for around 20 years. It was actually started as the first step for patients with BMIs over 60 as a safety precaution to get them down to a safer weight to either revise to DS or RNY later after losing some weight. The techniques have now been standardized after the first studies came out showing a higher incidence of slight regain (10-20% bounce back) was seen when bigger bougies were used in the stand alone procedures. When the standard size dropped from 50-60fr to 32-40fr bougies, the numbers for complications, weight regain, hunger returning, all decreased.

The bougie is the measuring tool they slide down your throat that the surgeon uses to guide the stapler while dissecting the fundus away from the "sleeved" portion of the stomach.

The VSG became a noted successful stand alone procedure when those same super morbidly obese patients didn't need the 2nd stage surgery to DS or RNY. Results were that good, that they started offering to lower end BMI patients, and it's since gained in popularity.

New research results will be out next summer from 2 of the pioneers of VSG. Dr. Cirangle and Dr. Jossart.

I could seriously go on and go on. And don't want to overwhelm you.

I think being informed is great, but make sure you get the good, bad and long term ugly on all of the options. The vitamin regimen, and personal friends in real life I have that have dealt with RNY kept me from having it. Neither the DS or RNY fit my lifestyle, and I wasn't willing to have a surgery that would not last a lifetime since I had already had one that failed me miserably.