Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 days Post Op. Vomiting everything. Can IV only. Help

My friend had VSG 24 days ago, and she's in a terrible state. She has yet to hold down the smallest amount of liquid. All is vomited. food is out of the question.

Dr says sleeve is not too tight. He cannot figure out why she can't hold down any liquid since he sees that all with her sleeve surgery is okay.

Suspecting an infection, he will do a biopsy on the stomach tissue.

Meanwhile, my once very strong, assertive, lively friend is wasting away barely able speak. She's lost 50lbs within 24 days and is always thirsty and is very, very weak.

Sent home after 2 weeks in the hospital, she goes to the ER to get IV liquid and nutrients since she's had no success in drinking anything while at home.

I'm very concerned.

Anyone else experience/observe this and what were the results? Any suggestions? All prayers of concern are welcome.

I am living the same exact painful life right now. I am going to ER for IV's, can't keep anything in me. Dr has done some many test and he says everything is normal and we just have to wait for these to pass. I can't do this make longer it's truly awful! Prayers for your friend that she can heal quickly.

I am glad both of you are under doctor's care.

We are not doctors here, and this is not the norm for most of us.

It will be good to find out what diagnosis the doctors have and we should all be able to learn something here.

I know a lot of people do experience nausea in the beginning, but usually with medication and taking tiny sips of fluids, they improve a little bit each day.

There is a video on youtube where this guy talks about some problems he had after the sleeve surgery and it ended up being an abscess on the stomach. Quite scary.

Mention that to your friend and have them ask the doctor about that as a possibility. I hope she gets better soon.

Moodiboo and Shine, please keep us posted on how it's going with your friend, Moodiboo, and with you Shine! It's very important for prospective sleevers to know these things going in the door. There are many great stories, but people need to know there are the few with serious complications. God Bless and here's to healing.

Banded 8/03

Revision 3/05 (slipped)

Removed 3/06 (slipped again)

Sorry sounds like spam to me. . . sorry to hear if it's not. . but i find this very hard to believe especially the 50lbs in 24 days???????

I am still in the hospital on IV fluids. They are going to do a GI scope tomorrow to see what exactly is going on. I can't wait for all of this to be over, I was sleeved 43 days ago!

I was sleeved 12/7/10 and experienced the same horrible recovery. I was not able to eat or drink without puking until this week! My problem was pancreatitis and gallblader. I spent 27 days in the hospital and was on TPN for 6 weeks.

Now I feel like my old self, finally!

Please keep us posted and I pray that you are on the mend soon!

My friend had VSG 24 days ago, and she's in a terrible state. She has yet to hold down the smallest amount of liquid. All is vomited. food is out of the question.

Dr says sleeve is not too tight. He cannot figure out why she can't hold down any liquid since he sees that all with her sleeve surgery is okay.

Suspecting an infection, he will do a biopsy on the stomach tissue.

Meanwhile, my once very strong, assertive, lively friend is wasting away barely able speak. She's lost 50lbs within 24 days and is always thirsty and is very, very weak.

Sent home after 2 weeks in the hospital, she goes to the ER to get IV liquid and nutrients since she's had no success in drinking anything while at home.

I'm very concerned.

Anyone else experience/observe this and what were the results? Any suggestions? All prayers of concern are welcome.

I know of someone who had a similar problem, she couldn't even keep Water down and vomited everything. Turned out she was suffering from dehydration, because she didn't drink enough post-op, and she's better now. I'm no doctor and I suppose your friends' doc ruled out this option already though. Did he?

I hope your friend is doing better and hope her recovery happens quickly. I've been in a similar situation with no-one able to say why. Some sort of infection with the sleeve swollen. Had to have IV fluids Sunday morning but able to sip fluids the last few days. It is all sooo disappointing and painful ...just hope your friend does better soon.