Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide goal weight?

I set my goal weight at the smallest weight I believe I can get to without looking sick. I would probably be very happy and satisfied at 150 pounds. I think that is the weight that I can hold and maintain, but I always want to strive for just a bit more. Like others said then that gives me some wiggle room and room to find my personal "sweet spot" :rolleyes:

You CAN make it to your surgeon's goal and below, I'm sure of it - I DID! My surgeon's goal was 150 as well, and I weighed between 150 and 155 in HS.....I weighed 144.3, my all time low, yesterday morning. I am maintaining between 144 and 146 now....just this past week I've dropped to 143. It's amazing. MY personal goal was a size 8, which is nice and comfy, it has been for a while now. I still cannot believe they fit and are never tight. I pass by the women's section and I KNOW I'll never shop there again - it's just now sinking in. Have faith, it will happen!!

My goal weight was set by my surgeon and I'm sure it based on a healthy BMI, rather than my own history, bone structure, etc. He put it at 150. I weighed 175 when I graduated from HS, so 150 would certainly be a shock (I was probably 15 last time I weighed 150). But then every single statistic you read says something about how even WITH the aid of WLS, most people lost about 65% (not sure on the exact number so I'm paraphrasing what I've seen in literature, websites, etc.) of their excess weight. I see people here get to their goal and even go below their goal. I would love to be below my goal just so I can have some "wiggle" room, but honestly I'm not sure I will even make it to goal.

I'm like Julia, I just want to see how things feel before making hard and fast rules about how much I should weigh.

My hope was to reach my surgeon's goal by New Years Eve....I reached goal at just under five months, the first week in November!!! You will be SHOCKED at how quickly you can do it IF you follow the surgeon's and dietitian's advice. I was obessive about what I ate and what I did not eat. I didn't eat anything sweet until I reached goal. I am looking at what you have to lose and you don't have much more to lose than I did, you can do it!!! I felt like "Rocky" getting ready for a fight....ready to do battle. I know that this is NOT a diet, but until I reached goal, I treated it as one as far as what I put into my mouth!!! You'll succeed in each and every goal you mentioned!!! Good luck!!!!

This is definately a interesting thread. My doctor did not set any goal with me but with my Nut we talked about 125. I had that number in my head from one I was pregnant with my first child and had 4 months of morning sickness and dropped down to that amount. I loved myself at that time but my husband thought I was too skinny but then I gained 70 lbs with that pregnancy once I quit being sick. Thus the beginning of the yo yo dieting. I think this would give me a little leway as I learn to maintain that if I get back to 130 or so, I would still be in a healthy range. I have this down to 3 major milestones to get to that goal. The first is to be down to 175 by Mardi Gras-I always travel to New Orleans and my sister and I have tickets to one of the Balls in March.:martini_shaken: The 2nd goal is 150 by the end of July for my 30th class reunion.:cheer2: If I make that-I would be almost the same size from high school and the final goal is for October for my youngest daughter's wedding. :party4: Bonus to me if I can met these goals before that but I plan to be one of the statistics that lose all the weight and not just a percentage....Yea to me... I am on my way.

ok this is just my opinion. Im almost four months out.my original goal weight was 160. i started at 264. now I weigh 184. Trust me don't be afraid to change your goal weight i only wan't to get down to 175 at the lowest. Because my bones are showing and i can feel me ribs pretty well and its looks pretty weird.trust your own judgement i never want to be 160 pounds i would look sick. I'm 5'6" by the way. Things change don't be afraid of changing your goals along the way.

It all depends on how tall you are how you think you look at a certain point. My surgeon even had to change his mind about my goal weight. He thought 154 would be good for me until my last visit then he said ok a BMI under 30 and you can feel free to stop if you like to.

Hi,

I asked to meet with my surgeon ahead of time to answer some questions regarding his history of doing sleeves, etc. He said with his program (diet, excercise, surgery) most of his patients lost 80% of their extra weight by the end of the first year. It was pretty consistant and not many continued to lose much beyond the first year. For example....I weigh 280 and should weigh approx 165 at BMI 25. My expected outcome would then be 180-190 lbs. How did all of you decide what your goal weight should be? I know all about the BMI charts but I was wondering how other doctors and patients came up with their goal weight? At a specific BMI or what?

Interesting to read this...

my inital goal weight was to get into a healthy BMI, pretty much like everyone else's!! That is a goal weight of 133lb from a starting weight of 238lb- a difference of 105lb.

When I spoke to my surgeon he suggested that I lost between 5 - 61/2 stone which is 70lb - 91lb! So there is a little difference of 14lb!!!!!! I suppose it isn't that much in the wider scheme of things.

At the slow rate I am losing I will be more than happy to get to my 'lower' goal weight, which would mean a 70lb loss... however, in the fantasy world of 'The Coopster' I would LOVE to reach my own goal weight and a healthy BMI.

Time will only tell!!