Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV x2, hopefully not TMI

I was at work the other day, and 2 of the nurses I work with were joking and said that they loved me, but I really needed to get some scrubs that fit me because I was swimming in the ones I was wearing. I knew my scrubs were getting pretty loose, but I have been so overweight for so long that I am afraid to try on new clothes because I worry that they will be too small. When I look in the mirror, I still see the old me. Anyways...and I hope I don't gross anyone out with the next part....the nurse manager of the ICU called me and said there was a patient on the surgical unit who was crashing and they wanted me to go out there and start an IV medication to keep her blood pressure up, stay with her and monitor her until they could get the ICU room cleaned and ready for her...off I went. While I was in her room taking care of her she started to vomit....and it was not pretty..I will avoid the description since I know this will be too much information for some...but I quickly turned her on her side to keep her from choking while I was turning on the suction. Unfortunately when I did that she totally nailed me! All down the front of my pants and my shoes!!! I am usually a quick dodger of all things nasty, but I was so worried that she would choke I was right in the line of fire. When she got transferred to the ICU, I went back to my unit and told my manager that I was leaving to go get some new shoes and uniform. I ran across to Wal-Mart and didn't have a clue what size to get. I had been wearing 3XL before the surgery and 90lbs later was still swimming around in them. As it turned out, I bought an XL!!!!!!!! I don't even remember the last time I wore that size!! I was smiling as I checked out in my barfy pants. That was NSV #1

NSV #2 - I got back to the hospital, ran into the bathroom to change clothes, threw my old scrubs and shoes in the trash and walked back into the ER. EVERYONE who was working freaked out!! They all couldn't stop talking about how good I looked. I do have to admit though, that it made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I am used to being large and in charge lol but not all of this! I had my back to the door of the triage room when one of the night shift girls walked in and she told me that she thought "Who the heck is that?" when she saw me from the back and then when I walked out she was stunned it was me. Feels so good, but a little un-settling at the same time. After Christmas, I am buying all new scrubs and getting rid of the old ones - after all, I will never see those sizes again. Oh, and by the way.. my coworkers from the morning cheered for the lady who barfed on me because she is what finally made me get something that fit me!

LOL that was great. Congrats on your NSV's. Enjoy the compliments. You DO deserve them.

That's so awesome, well minus the puking patient ! ! ! Many congrats chickee, you've been rocking your sleeve, and so glad you updated with such great NSVs.

That is awesome!!! And a great story to boot. Too bad you had to have a patient puke on you to get you into something that fits.

Congrats on -90lbs gone and you are right...you will never need those 3XL's again!! woo hoo!:thumbs_up:

Thats great news, maybe that was the patients way of saying u needed new scrubs too :D ......CONGRATS!!!!!!

Big congrats Kathy -- it feels awesome to have everyone notice your hard work :) And to have people not recognize you at all -- how awesome is that :)

Funny how things kind of fall into place the way they do haha congrats I can't wait til I need new clothes surgery in 3 weeks getting anxious & nervous

hard to believe that is what it took for you to buy some new scrubs. I am surprised they stayed on you for so long! I've heard of people walking and their pants fall off of them!

That is a great NSV. Thanks for sharing!

That story is actually pretty hllarious! I feel so bad for that lady, but she must have gotten a little chuckle herself when she found out that she was the catalyst behind your new look :-)). I know I'd feel rotten if I puked on someone, but much better if I knew the other side of the story :)))

As we nurses know, there are worse things that patients can christen your clothes with, than mere puke ;)

Huge congratulations on your new look though!!!

weight.png

That is funny. Treat yourself for Christmas - if I was your coworker I'd be buying you more scrubbies...You deserve to look good. I know it is weird to get compliments, but believe me, you'll get accustomed to it. They've probably been wanting to say something for a while.