Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get what "gas pains" are...?

Hey guys..

I keep reading a lot about gas pains, and know it's from the leftover gas that they use to blow up the abdomen area. Do they even attempt to release some of the air before they close us up..or do they sew us up all bloated and gasy? I'm also wondering what exactly that feels like. How does it work itself out of our bodies and why does it cause pain in the left shoulder and neck? Why do some people complain of severe gas pain, and others say that it's only a mild discomfort? Are some surgeons better at getting the gas out than others? It doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience..

Thank you in advance!

Steph,

I was fortunate enough to not experience the gas pain with my sleeve surgery! HOWEVER, I wasn' t so fortunate with my two C-sections. It was very painful! I was told the pain is caused by the gas pushing on your phrenic nerve. I had horrible shoulder pain! The only thing that helped, was to walk and walk! On the positive note, it didn't last more than a few days, and it's possible you won't experience it at all! Best of luck! The surgery is definitely worth the potential discomfort!

I did not experience any gas pain after surgery. I just felt bloated. I had a surgery about 8 years ago for an ovarian cyst where they went thru my navel, and I only felt bloated after that too. Hopefully you won't get the gas pains. The gyno that did the surgery 8 years ago told me that they try to get out as much gas as possible before they are finished. I believe he told me that they press on your abdomen. Not sure if its that easy. But its impossible to get it all out. I do not think it matters how good the surgeon is. Everyone is different so everyones body is going to react different . I did have pain after surgery, but just at the incision sites. I was not able to get out of bed until the day after surgery, but when I did walk, it helped a lot with the bloated feeling. No matter how crappy you feel after surgery, try your hardest to walk no matter what. Its hard at first (well it was for me) but it helps A LOT! Also, when I got home I took GasX, so I am not sure if that helped too. I was just so scared to get the gas pain.

I didn't have any either. Please keep in mind that you mostly get to read complaints - because no one starts a post "I have no gas pains". You post what you have - or what you not have if you should have it.

Wow, does that make any sense? It's too early for me I guess but no worries, I believe the majority of people do not have gas pains.

The only pain I had was gas pains! I had my gallbladder out a few years ago through my belly and had NO pains at all but this time I did, A LOT! LOL It's not like I was crying in pain but it was painful and I couldn't get comfortable. But everyday it got better and better and soon enough it was gone!

I had no gas pains either. And the Dr does try to remove as much of it as possible before closing you up to minimize the effects (if any). Gas X will also only help if you are gassy in your STOMACH, not the CO2 they pump in your ab cavity. Does this make sense?

Good Luck to you and hope you have an 'uneventful' surgery and recovery! :)

I think it must be individual...because I do have the "gas pains" and it does hurt...HOWEVER...it doesn't hurt bad enough I wish I didn't have surgery. I also had them when my gall bladder was removed a few years ago. You'll know if you have them...because it's a pain in your shoulder or neck...etc and it feels like something needs to get out (I know that sounds weird...lol) Walking is DEFINITELY the best medicine...I just walk around my house for a few minutes every so often. I also found if you have a rocking chair or a recliner that rocks...sit in it and rocks and that moves the gas as well. Good Luck with your surgery!!!

I had gas pain but at nearly 5 months out I don't really remember it at all! Gas from the remaining CO2 that they use for laparoscopic suregy irritates the nerves, as someone said earlier, especially the ones that go to the shoulder blades (i did have pain between my shoulder blades for a few weeks after surgery) The other "gas" pains are the ones that you get in other surgeries in the abdomen as well because of the manipulation of guts etc which causes the bowels to slow down and creates an "ileus" (I know all this because my husband is a surgeon!) Good luck, hope you don't get that much pain!

I'm the opposite of Dawn, I had my gall bladder out about 11 years ago and had horrid gas pains (it was explained to me like this...they do try to take out as much gas as they can but whatever is left over will eventually put pressure on your muscles {for me it was my back and shoulders} much like a scuba diver who comes up too fast and the O2 in their bodies creates the 'bends') but with my VSG 2 months ago I didn't have any.

So it probably does come down somewhat to the surgeon, but everyone's experience is different, hopefully yours will be no gas pains at all.