Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Grapes????

I had my one month check up today and I recieved my new list of foods, it's like christmas to me when I get these lists. hee hee... On the list he said I can have fruit but in big bold letter it states NO GRAPES!!!! I didn't get a chance to ask the Doc because of my list of questions. Whats the reason behind no grapes?

I haven't heard of this one before. The only thing I could figure is the skin on grapes can be hard to digest. I can only have canned fruits with no skins at one month.

I was sleeved 8 minths ago and I eat grapes just fine. I do remember @ 1 month out I could only have canned fruits.

I was eating grapes like 6 weeks out, no problem....seedless, of course. I think they are fine, but try to clarify with your surgeon first.

Nope not with my surgeon, its in big bold letters on my food list, NO GRAPES.... Hubby and I can't figure out why, I love grapes the seedless ones but dang it I should of asked him why not but I had millions of other questions and totally forgot bout that one.

Maybe because the skin is hard to digest???

I am 9 weeks out and eat grapes. I LOVE them right now. I was allowed to add them at 7 weeks out. My favorite kind are the huge green seedless ones. She told me to cut them into 4 pieces, but I just take tiny bites of them. I hope you can enjoy grapes soon! I know I could only have canned fruit when I first started adding food. If you find out why you can't have grapes, please let us know. Now I am curious too :)

Ok I'm going to call the Dr's office today to find out whats up with the grapes restriction

It's the skin, just like with pickles, corn and other things that have skin.

I know a lot of people don't have issues with them, but it was explained to me, that the skin is more difficult to move through. I can tell you that my first experience with raw veggies/fruits, I was jonesing for pickles. I ate some in my chicken salad, and low and behold 3-4 hours I was burping up remnants of that pickle after I had eaten another "meal". It was utterly disgusting, and I didn't eat pickles for another 6 months. Corn and grapes gave me the same results. I'd eat a small portion (few bites after meat), go about my day eat another meal a few hours later, and there I was burping up the corn pieces. Of course, now that I'm further out (18 months) this doesn't happen, but for the first 6-8 months, I couldn't go through spitting out pieces of corn, pickles and grapes. It was just disgusting.

High cellulose fruits/veggies, stringy veggies/fruits were to be avoided for 3 months by my guidelines. Not for any other reason because of the transit time, residual swelling and the fact we needed to focus on getting in Protein via food sources. With these foods, it cut my capacity because they'd fill up my sleeve.

Ok thx Tiff, thats what we were figuring it was the skin and the lady I talked to atthe dr's office who by the way was robably the receptionist stated the reasoning behind it was they are high in suger, huh???? Both my husband and I looked at each other dumb founded. Oranges have high suger too and thats not a no no so she gave me my surgeons nurse's phone number to ask her all my questions because Im craving oatmeal too and thats not on my list. They need to make these lists a lil more in depth. Thanks for the pickle update because I love pickles to where my mouth waters when I see the big ones atthe store and now I know not to have those for awhile. That would so ruin it if I burped them up,

Funny you say that Pam, he said the same thing, hee hee. He's even chopping up chicken really fine so I can eat dinner with the family. I'm sooo spoiled by him. I figured oatmeal should be fine because it's a "soft" food, shh I had a lil already. I've noticed now Im trying different foods I'm getting full really fast

I eat grapes now and I loooooove them....have not had any trouble with digestion. what is the supposed harm?

I eat pickles, corn and grapes and have since 4ish weeks out. No problems here at all!