Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 wks post op today & so discouraged

hi...today its been 8 wks since my surgery... for the last 3 wks, i havent lost anything... and i go to the gym in the mornings for cardio.... this weight should be falling off of me and its not...i read some woman lose 50lbs at 2months or 2 1/2 months.... im 8wks today and only lost 30....and i feel soo down....any tips or advice please....

I so understand what you are going through. I will be 8 wks postop tomorrow, Wednesday. I have only lost 32 lbs. I lost 16 lbs in the first 2 weeks and then 16 lbs in the last 6 wks. It is very frustrating. I follow my menu to the "t". The NUT even says I do very well with eating but why cannot I lose more! I go to the doctor on Thursday so I will ask what he thinks but I know what he will say, "you are doing great". Best of luck to you! I wish I had a suggestion but I don't know what to do either!

Melissa

Hey,,,

30lb in 8 weeks is fantastic!!!!

Please don't compare yourself to others... I made that mistake and it was really discouraging! Everyone is different - thankfully- and we all do this in different ways... Some low carb and lose, some eat carb and lose etc. It really is a waste of time and energy looking at others weight loss.

Just remember the last time you lost 30lb in 8 weeks... have you done that before because I know I haven't!! and besides which, look at it like this... it is 30lb you will never see again in 30 years!!

As far as the stall goes... this is completely normal as most of us go through it... and again, yes it is frustrating. I am in the middle of one two and I am 5 mths out! Remember at 8 weeks you are at the end of the healing process and the stall is just your bodies way of taking some 'time out' and readjustng... it will come off again!

Chin up and keep us posted x

Coops is right! I completely agree!

I'm just a tad over 6 weeks out and have only lost 28lbs. I cannot remember the last time I've lost almost 30lbs in 6 weeks...oh that's right, NEVER! So I am happy. I simply cannot compare my stats to someone else.

Sometimes people lose a lot prior to surgery, so if they lose 30lbs pre-op and then another 30 in the 2 months following surgery, their ticker may say they are already down 60lbs. Which looks like HUGE loss in a short amount of time. Please do NOT get me wrong, their ticker SHOULD read -60lbs because they absolutely own every single pound they have lost and they should absolutely Celebrate those lbs gone. So I'm not saying anything bad about that. But please do NOT compare yourself to someone else.

I went to a support group last night and there was someone there who basically had the RNY about a week before my sleeve, and she has lost -65lbs. I was blown away!!! But then she revealed that she had been hospitalized once post-surgery to clear out some Fluid build up in her stomach remnant, and her starting weight was 470lbs. So then it was all very much in perspective for me. She weighed basically 200lbs more than my starting weight, she was basically still recovering from the trauma of being hospitalized twice in the same month and all the sudden it was very clear why comparisons just don't work.

Please do not get discouraged and down on yourself. And know that this is a journey. You know the saying ...the pounds did not magically appear overnight (even though sometimes it feels like they did!) and they will not magically disappear overnight. Celebrate your loss and know that when you are using your tool, you will continue to get healthy and lose weight!

Hi, I think you all are doing great. I am 5 weeks out and lost about 20 lbs(30 all together), I thought I would be losing faster but I remind myself I haven't lost 30 pounds in so many years or have been the weight I am in 8 years then I get excited. Also, I love how little I eat and feel satisfied, on weight watchers I was never satisfied plus i knew in a week or so I would be cheating again. With the sleeve cheeting would be hard, its not like we could stuff ourselfs.

Good luck everyone and take it one day at a time,

Janine

YOUR DOING GREAT>>> i had that moment last week where i was being a bit brat like and not stepping back to take in the whole picture... im 9 weeks out and down 38lbs.. i thought it wasnt enough but now im thinking to myself and realizing that this is AWESOME and would never be able to say this otherwise .... so take a second and congratulate yourself on a job well done.. your doing amazing and this time its going to keep coming off!!! just keep rocking ur sleeve :D

wow...thank you all so much for taking the time to encourage me.... !!

Mommy 2 girls... thank you for all that info...today i was just thinking, should i have gotten the RNY....then when you told me that... and im glad i stuck with my decision of the sleeve.... my main concern was becoming malnurished or me losing weight so fast, my skin looked gross.... i guess reality is,...the slower i lose the better and safer it is for me.....i feel a whole lot better....thank you so much ladies!

Coops is right! I completely agree!

I'm just a tad over 6 weeks out and have only lost 28lbs. I cannot remember the last time I've lost almost 30lbs in 6 weeks...oh that's right, NEVER! So I am happy. I simply cannot compare my stats to someone else.

Sometimes people lose a lot prior to surgery, so if they lose 30lbs pre-op and then another 30 in the 2 months following surgery, their ticker may say they are already down 60lbs. Which looks like HUGE loss in a short amount of time. Please do NOT get me wrong, their ticker SHOULD read -60lbs because they absolutely own every single pound they have lost and they should absolutely Celebrate those lbs gone. So I'm not saying anything bad about that. But please do NOT compare yourself to someone else.

I went to a support group last night and there was someone there who basically had the RNY about a week before my sleeve, and she has lost -65lbs. I was blown away!!! But then she revealed that she had been hospitalized once post-surgery to clear out some Fluid build up in her stomach remnant, and her starting weight was 470lbs. So then it was all very much in perspective for me. She weighed basically 200lbs more than my starting weight, she was basically still recovering from the trauma of being hospitalized twice in the same month and all the sudden it was very clear why comparisons just don't work.

Please do not get discouraged and down on yourself. And know that this is a journey. You know the saying ...the pounds did not magically appear overnight (even though sometimes it feels like they did!) and they will not magically disappear overnight. Celebrate your loss and know that when you are using your tool, you will continue to get healthy and lose weight!

OMG. That is awesome to lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks. You should be super proud of yourself. Please don't let anyone tell u that have not done an amazing job. I haven't had my surgery yet but if I lose 30 pounds in 8 weeks then I will be over the moon happy. I think that every body loses that different rate because of starting weight, age and exercise levels. Just keep doing what u are doing and u will be great. Please stay positive.

Jenn

wow...thank you all so much for taking the time to encourage me.... !!

Mommy 2 girls... thank you for all that info...today i was just thinking, should i have gotten the RNY....then when you told me that... and im glad i stuck with my decision of the sleeve.... my main concern was becoming malnurished or me losing weight so fast, my skin looked gross.... i guess reality is,...the slower i lose the better and safer it is for me.....i feel a whole lot better....thank you so much ladies!

The reality is you ARE losing fast.

The recommended weekly weight loss goal in the health world is 1 - 2 Lbs. per week.

You are losing 3.75 Lbs per week. That's about 2 -3 times faster.

Thirty pounds in eight weeks is an average of almost four pounds a week! That's GREAT!

I'm eight weeks post-op tomorrow and my ticker reflects the 17 pounds I lost in the two weeks prior to surgery (I worked it!). I've lost 32 pounds since my surgery on October 13th and I'm thrilled. I had an almost three week stall from week two - week five, then I started losing again. So, this past month, I've lost almost five pounds a week, but the month before, not so much. My bod was in shock from surgery and rapid weight loss.

You're doing great! An average of 15 pounds a month is nothing to sneeze at! This is what 15 pounds of fat looks like:

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/0/2007/02/19/320x240/images_sizedimage_050112704.jpg

hi...today its been 8 wks since my surgery... for the last 3 wks, i havent lost anything... and i go to the gym in the mornings for cardio.... this weight should be falling off of me and its not...i read some woman lose 50lbs at 2months or 2 1/2 months.... im 8wks today and only lost 30....and i feel soo down....any tips or advice please....

Hello,

I'm 7 weeks post-op and down 27 pounds. I was upset as well, but I know I have to exercise 5 days a week and right now with my crazy work schedule, I might get in 2 days of exercising. Hang in there. The key is: you are losing weight.

:rolleyes:

hi kristy....thanks for the encouragment....i had my surgery oct 12th... can you tel me what your eating...or give me a sample menu of what your doing to lose 5lbs a week....please!

Thirty pounds in eight weeks is an average of almost four pounds a week! That's GREAT!

I'm eight weeks post-op tomorrow and my ticker reflects the 17 pounds I lost in the two weeks prior to surgery (I worked it!). I've lost 32 pounds since my surgery on October 13th and I'm thrilled. I had an almost three week stall from week two - week five, then I started losing again. So, this past month, I've lost almost five pounds a week, but the month before, not so much. My bod was in shock from surgery and rapid weight loss.

You're doing great! An average of 15 pounds a month is nothing to sneeze at! This is what 15 pounds of fat looks like:

http://llnw.image.cb...e_050112704.jpg

Generally, this is what I eat every day:

Breakfast: 3 oz of ground beef w/cheese and salsa, or 2 scrambled eggs w/a little cheese

Snack: one string cheese or a Starbucks Tall Soy Latte

Lunch: Greek yogurt or a few chicken wings or fish or steak

Snack: another string cheese, usually

Dinner: Greek yogurt or a few chicken wings or fish or steak and a few grape tomatoes

hi kristy....thanks for the encouragment....i had my surgery oct 12th... can you tel me what your eating...or give me a sample menu of what your doing to lose 5lbs a week....please!

I really feel bad now cause i am 6 weeks now and only lost 12 lbs...:(