Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 months out and gaining

Just curious if there are any others out there like me. I was sleeved at the end of April. I went thru a couple of stalls but managed to loose 42 lbs. In fact, I was just 6 lbs away from my goal! The last month or so the scale started creeping up. first 1-2 pounds then 3 and then this morning I have now gained 5 lbs. I know it is my fault. I am eating more, still only 3 meals a day and very limited Snacks (if any) but I have over indulged occassionally (unfortunately to the point of pain). I certainly don't want to undo the hard work, and especially do not under any circumstances want my stomach to stretch out. I haven't been exercising so I know I need to get back on track with that. This is rather horrifying at this moment so I thought I'd check to see if any others have experienced this. I've been away from this forum way too long!

Just curious if there are any others out there like me. I was sleeved at the end of April. I went thru a couple of stalls but managed to loose 42 lbs. In fact, I was just 6 lbs away from my goal! The last month or so the scale started creeping up. first 1-2 pounds then 3 and then this morning I have now gained 5 lbs. I know it is my fault. I am eating more, still only 3 meals a day and very limited Snacks (if any) but I have over indulged occassionally (unfortunately to the point of pain). I certainly don't want to undo the hard work, and especially do not under any circumstances want my stomach to stretch out. I haven't been exercising so I know I need to get back on track with that. This is rather horrifying at this moment so I thought I'd check to see if any others have experienced this. I've been away from this forum way too long!

Welcome back and bless your heart. . . you know your own problems honey. . . I think you know what to do. . . but here is something that I do which may help you. . . I'm 11 months out and on the occasion do have a good time too. . .then when i see the scale doing the backwards climb I go on the 5 day pouch test. You can google it just like that and it'll tell you what to do. . i really works for me BUT (yes always a but) you HAVE to have the will to do it! If you do it's a really good tool to get you back on track and lose a lb or two while your at it. . . good luck! And we hope to see you here more often! :)

That must be so scarey! 5 is not so bad, I bet you could get that off with some fresh determination. Good for you coming back to the forum. Everyone here needs to hear about all sides of this surgery/way of life, so you are helping US by coming back too. Did you have an exercise routine when you started? Perhaps just walk around the block before Breakfast or get a new DVD of something fun and musical... I love bellydance! Just move a little back in that direction and perhaps the pouch test too... you will see results in no time. Good luck and check back in, won't you?

Welcome back Devo, you have come back to the right place to work on getting back on track.

I'd just suggest going on a SUPER LOW carb diet for 5 days. It's the same as the liquid diet, except - well I prefer food... LOL :) I've never been able to stick to liquids only. That's just me though. Also measure out your portions, no more stuffing your sleeve. You don't want to hurt yourself. :)

Walking is a fabulous idea, it always gets me started back on the right track.

It's great that you decided to reach out at only 5 Lbs gained. Good on you! That can be gone in no time. Who knows, with the new found ambition, you can make your goal!!

All the very best! Enduring struggles only makes us stronger.

ETA: I DID do my liquids post-op through and through. I know it's only because there was no way I COULD eat though. Now that I know I can eat... that's another story.

I'd suggest an exercise program and rather than just walking, I'd run - burns a ton of calories. You are not heavy anymore, so running shouldn't be a problem. Sign up for a 5K or a 10K to motivate yourself. I'd also add strength training to rev up your metabolism. If you really want a jump-start on weightloss, bootcamps are great.

Hey Devo,

good for you for coming back... I agree with the others... you can get rid of that 5lb NO PROBLEM!!! Sounds like you know what to do...lol...

Good luck and let us know how you get on =]

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and advice! I have ordered the 5 day pouch test manual as suggested by Thinoneday. I was using my treadmill initially but have probably not been on it for the past 6 weeks to 2 months. I know I need to and I know I will but I need to do it when I get home from work and I am tired, have to make dinner, blah blah with all the excuses. You know how it is. I am going to get back on track with eating smaller portions and getting on the treadmill. This was just the encouragement I needed. I also need to update my weight loss ticker (but perhaps I shall wait until after I loose the extra few punds). Actually this morning I weighed myself I was 2 lbs lighter than yesterday. Drives you crazy you know? I used to just weigh once a week and now I am more obsessive about it. Oh well. I am still happy with the weight I have lost and am going to think happy and positive thoughts and get back on track. Thanks again, you guys are the absolute best!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and advice! I have ordered the 5 day pouch test manual as suggested by Thinoneday. I was using my treadmill initially but have probably not been on it for the past 6 weeks to 2 months. I know I need to and I know I will but I need to do it when I get home from work and I am tired, have to make dinner, blah blah with all the excuses. You know how it is. I am going to get back on track with eating smaller portions and getting on the treadmill. This was just the encouragement I needed. I also need to update my weight loss ticker (but perhaps I shall wait until after I loose the extra few punds). Actually this morning I weighed myself I was 2 lbs lighter than yesterday. Drives you crazy you know? I used to just weigh once a week and now I am more obsessive about it. Oh well. I am still happy with the weight I have lost and am going to think happy and positive thoughts and get back on track. Thanks again, you guys are the absolute best!!!!!!!!!

You have such a postive outlook! Your going to do fine! You'll get back on track, I can tell ! You really want this, its tough, but your a woman and you are tough, we are all tough and can fight the evil obese monster! We'll put on our SUPER powers and zap that monster! Together we can do it. . . P.S. I really hate exercise too, my new years resolution is to get back to exercise but only 3 times a week! Not every day. . .that is really way too much and makes it more hateful! Good Luck! You CAN and WILL do it!!!!!:)

Hello,

I was sleeved April 8 and lost the 65lbs I needed to in approximately 3 months. My goal weight was 130 lbs...at the present I weigh 125. I do fluctuate within a 5lb range. At first I lost sleep over this 5lb fluctuation, I was terrified. Mentally I got back on track and when I worked out, I'd work an extra 15-20 mins..I think about that 5lb fluctuation when I'm tempted to eat what I'm not supposed to, and I think that it helps me to make better choices. Don't be discouraged! I think that our fears of stretching our pouch and gaining weight is normal...As long as we acknowledge what needs to be acknowledged and make the necessary changes, we will be o.k...

I am like you, I am almost 12 months out - have lost about 42 pounds (would like to loose about 10 more) and I'm going up and down and up and down. After all the money I spent (self pay), and joy at losing the 42 pounds, I certainly do not want to throw all of this away. Does anyone out there know if when you have a vertical sleeve, can it be stretched by eating too much? Sometimes I do eat too much and of course sometimes I am very uncomfortable. But I am really wondering - can the gastric sleeve be stretched - and if so what happens to those staples? Thanks everyone. mega, and

Do you log your food in a journal? Like fitday.com or something? That can help me to see where Im packing in more calories.... I hear the stomach can stretch a little, but at 12 months I would guess it is stretched as much as it will... but I would not recommend overeating... perhaps measure before eating to just make sure you don't overstuff the tummy....

I am having a similar problem. I am 9 months out and have lost 115lbs, but have gaind 5lbs in the last week and a half so am to a weight loss of 110lbs. I have started working out a lot harder and am hoping that it is all muscle gain, but I hate seeing the scale move this way. I still have about 30lbs to lose and need help! I don't think I am over eating, but I know that I do eat a little fast. I am also not getting full at the same point I used to, but don't think I am over eating. I am still stopping after eating a small portion of food, but because I want to not because my tummy hurts. Thoughts? I think I am going to watch my carbs more closely. HELP ME! I am really sad and starting to worry. I have come too far to go back now.

I am having a similar problem. I am 9 months out and have lost 115lbs, but have gaind 5lbs in the last week and a half so am to a weight loss of 110lbs. I have started working out a lot harder and am hoping that it is all muscle gain, but I hate seeing the scale move this way. I still have about 30lbs to lose and need help! I don't think I am over eating, but I know that I do eat a little fast. I am also not getting full at the same point I used to, but don't think I am over eating. I am still stopping after eating a small portion of food, but because I want to not because my tummy hurts. Thoughts? I think I am going to watch my carbs more closely. HELP ME! I am really sad and starting to worry. I have come too far to go back now.

Could you give us a sample of your daily intake and exercise? Do you use an online counter?

I tend to think it is muscle.... and sometimes we stall as well...

I just came off of a 4 week stall with a 1 1/2 pound loss... not much but glad to see it go!

You have done sooo great! Im sure its just a glitch and you will get over it soon.