Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told that I can't take ibuprofen post surgery. Does anyone know what pain meds are OK to take? Aspirin? Acetaminaphin? I'm confused on this one.... Thanks!!

You know what? I was told the same thing. BUT I KNOW that my surgeon's notes are modified from the bypass procedure.

I was told that quick-release Tylenol would by my pain reliever of choice. And to NEVER buy EXTENDED release anything. period.

I think the reason for avoiding it is because ibuprofen is more linked to causing stomach problems, like ulcers. With such a small tummy, you really don't want an ulcer. The thing I'm confused about for ibuprofen...is it forever? I mean if once in 5 years I get a toothache and ibuprofen would help that pain better than Tylenol, you would think taking it once in a while would be okay. I am just *guessing* that it is a med that you don't want to take all the time...hence causing ulcers, irritation, etc.

If you learn more from your surgeon on clarification of this rule, please share. I will do the same!

I was told that I can't take ibuprofen post surgery. Does anyone know what pain meds are OK to take? Aspirin? Acetaminaphin? I'm confused on this one.... Thanks!!

My book from the surgeon says no NSAID's, it lists about 35 meds including ibuprofen and aspirin. My book says to never take these meds. It includes Tylenol (acetaminophen) as safe along with some others. I was also told to take only liquid Tylenol or chewable Tylenol for at least the first 8 weeks post-surgery, no pills or capsules.

I was told only Tylenol. The reality is that even the day of my surgery my pain wasn't bad. In fact, they were trying to give me morphine and after the first dose or so I asked them to stop giving it to me.

I take Tylenol now for my spinal stenosis but not for anything having to do with the surgery. Never needed pain meds for that.

Thanks guys! I am purging my medicine cabinet so I don't accidentally take something that's off the list!

You know what? I was told the same thing. BUT I KNOW that my surgeon's notes are modified from the bypass procedure.

I was told that quick-release Tylenol would by my pain reliever of choice. And to NEVER buy EXTENDED release anything. period.

I think the reason for avoiding it is because ibuprofen is more linked to causing stomach problems, like ulcers. With such a small tummy, you really don't want an ulcer. The thing I'm confused about for ibuprofen...is it forever? I mean if once in 5 years I get a toothache and ibuprofen would help that pain better than Tylenol, you would think taking it once in a while would be okay. I am just *guessing* that it is a med that you don't want to take all the time...hence causing ulcers, irritation, etc.

If you learn more from your surgeon on clarification of this rule, please share. I will do the same!

I will definitely ask that question! I am betting it's probably OK once in a blue moon...

Since there is no medication restrictions with VSG, NSAIDS are actually okay with some surgeons. The pioneers of VSG, Dr. Jossart and Dr. Cirangle specifically state a reason a patient may choose VSG over RNY is because we can indeed take NSAIDS. I've been taking Ibuprofen since around 4 weeks out, and have taken Aleve, RX 800mg Ibuprofen without issue for months. We do not have a pouch for pills to sit in and possibly cause ulceration like RNY pouches. I always ate something light pre-op to protect the stomach when taking NSAIDS and I do the same thing now post-op. Many people have won insurance appeals on the fact that they must take NSAIDS and can not take them with RNY at all.

Of course, check with your surgeon, but know that there are no medication restrictions for VSG unless your surgeon prefers to say no to NSAIDS. Many surgeons allow the usage because of the articles and research documents released for gastrectomy patients.

Since there is no medication restrictions with VSG, NSAIDS are actually okay with some surgeons. The pioneers of VSG, Dr. Jossart and Dr. Cirangle specifically state a reason a patient may choose VSG over RNY is because we can indeed take NSAIDS. I've been taking Ibuprofen since around 4 weeks out, and have taken Aleve, RX 800mg Ibuprofen without issue for months. We do not have a pouch for pills to sit in and possibly cause ulceration like RNY pouches. I always ate something light pre-op to protect the stomach when taking NSAIDS and I do the same thing now post-op. Many people have won insurance appeals on the fact that they must take NSAIDS and can not take them with RNY at all.

Of course, check with your surgeon, but know that there are no medication restrictions for VSG unless your surgeon prefers to say no to NSAIDS. Many surgeons allow the usage because of the articles and research documents released for gastrectomy patients.

Great info!!! Thanks Tiffy! I'll verify with my surgeon. Maybe it was in the pre-op instructions that they were being strict about it (I've read and re-read the instructions, so now they are getting boggled in my mind).

My instructions were no NSAIDS until 30 days out. For my pain immediately post op I used the Tylenol Rapid Blast (elixir) and that seemed to help fine. I wasn't in a whole lot of pain personally.

However now that I'm a few months out I can take my Aleve as normal. I definitely do not take it on an empty stomach. I did once and it felt like I had bubbling in my esophagus and kinda scared me. But I drank some Water and put a little food in my tiny stomach and was fine after.

I hope this helps :)

I was recommended the Sleeve by one of the weight loss surgeons because my Cardiologist has prescribed I take an aspirin every day, and I have arthritis too. My Cardiologist said he would recommend weight loss surgery if I could restart taking aspirin after I get the sleeve. My weight loss surgeon is not that keen on me taking aspirin regularly, but has agreed to do it as long as I take care.

Just talked to my Surgeon and he said no Ibuprofen until your 30 days out. He normally gives everyone liquid Vicodin post op but I can't take it. I can take Percocet so I was given that except I have to crush it.