Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems converting from band to sleeve?

Hello,

I had a band for 18 months and had all the problems one could have. A flipped port, vomiting, food getting stuck, dehydration and finally slippage. I almost didn't make it with that slip. Anyway, after gaining 20lbs. in this last year without the band, I am considering the sleeve. I was told by my surgeon that there was a very small chance that where the scar tissue is from where the band was, that after having the sleeve done, that small area might not heal. Has anyone had this problem? And what happens when this occurs? I've begun the journey again for all my clearances <ugh>.

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I had the band in July 09 and it was out October 09. I had a full slip and it was a nightmare. I am having the sleeve on January 3, 2011. My doctor did an upper GI and all appeared normal but he did say that if there was excessive scarring, they would switch from laprascopic to open procedure. I am hoping for the best.

Good luck.

Nina

Hmmm....and they say our bands are reversible. What a joke. I hope I don't have any issues with scar tissue. I will ask my doctor at my final pre-op appointment. Scary stuff! So glad to be getting rid of this band soon.

Hi,

I had my band for over 2 years, and it was out for 12 weeks before I could get my sleeve. No issues, the 12 week wait was to let my stomach go back to it's normal thickness all over, including where the band was! I did not have any issues after my sleeve, but i am only 7 1/2 weeks out now, i do not foresee any issues going forward. I think if you choose the right surgeon to do the revision, you shouldn't have any trouble. Maybe your Dr is apprehensive about doing a revision!

Just a thought!

Patti

With my revision, I developed a leak 2 days post op right around where the band had been removed. I had hoards of scar tissue, and some of my stomach tissue had to be removed during the leak repair. But, the leak was repaired with heavy mattress suturing and then I was NPO for over 2 weeks to ensure it would heal completely. I've only heard of leaks being slow to heal, but never not healing completely. Some have stents put in and a feeding tube inserted lower than the leak to get in nutrients. I had a pic line in my arm for those NPO weeks so I never had to deal with the feeding tube thing. Both of my procedures were done lap, and I never had to be opened for either.

I had my band for almost 4 yrs before my revision. My only complication was that I developed a hematoma in the area where my port had been. My doc had sewed that thing in there to stay for good, so it was a bear to remove and left a fairly large hole. The incision above the hematoma opened a week post-op and the blood drained out. My doc cleaned it, packed it and it healed from the inside out. I also had a hiatial hernia that my doc found and fixed during the revision surgery.

Thanks for all your replies. I was so nervous going into this and was so glad to have found that others had had the revision with hardly any complications. It's been a year so I hope that I'm perfectly healed on the inside.

Nina, yeah, mine was a full slip and also a nighmare. Had to be taken to the ER by ambulance where I was questioned as to why I didn't drive down to where my surgeon was. I can't imagine having to make that 1 hour drive, I was in so much pain and couldn't keep my head off the floor. After 7 hours of crying and carrying on in the ER, I was finally given the surgery to remove the band. They admitted that I wouldn't have made it had this gone on much longer, my stomach was hemorrhaging.

I met with the nutritionist yesterday and whispered that she liked the sleeve much better than the band. I hate that the dr's aren't up front about the more complications that come from the band. However, at the time I got that, the sleeve wasn't being offered by my surgeon nor was my insurance covering it. Almost 3 years later, and my insurance changing, my surgeon performs the sleeve, yay!

I can't wait to be on the other side, again.

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi, I'm new on the forum, I live in Québec Canada, I had a lab band for 3 years, lost 70 pounds the first year. I had a surgery last year (not related to the band) and they had to empty my band because I was to inflated, result I gaines 30 pounds and even if they restarded to refill my band, I'm still gaining wait.

So I'm seriously thinking about the sleeve but reading your posted I realize that they can't do it in one surgery (taking out the band and proceeding with the sleeve), is that right?

Thank you

Frenchie

Frenchie,

As far as I know, you can have the band removed and a sleeve done

all in one procedure if your stomach doesn't need time to heal between

surgeries. I'm not 100% sure since I haven't had my revision yet but

I think Tiffykins and a few others have had the sleeve and band removal

all in one procedure. I'm hoping to have my band removed/replaced and

a plication performed all at the same time as well.

Good luck to you!

genepha

banded Dec, 2001

Awaiting insurance approval for band removal/replacement with self-pay plication

Frenchie,

I had the band to sleeve revision all in one surgery. My physician never even discussed the option of having the band out then going in later to do sleeve. I haven't had any complications so far.....(10 days post-op) other than the norm......nausea, reflux, diarrhea. So, I guess it depends on how long you've had your band and what damage your band has caused. I was lucky to never have a slip with my band.

I had my band for almost 4 yrs and was able to have all the following done in one surgery:

1. band removed

2. gall bladder removed

3. adhesions removed

4. hiatal herna repaired

5. sleeve done

The only complication I had, as I mentioned above in another post, was a post-op hematoma where my port had been. This is fairly common and for most people the blood just resorbs back into the body and it causes no problems. Other than the hernia, I didn't have any damage to my stomach, so was able to do this all at once. If you've had a lot of damage to your stomach tissue then most docs will want to do it in two surgeries from what I've read.

I had it all done in one surgery, plus a hernia repair. If you find an experienced surgeon in revisions, you should be able to have it done all at once. Good luck!

Hi, I'm new on the forum, I live in Québec Canada, I had a lab band for 3 years, lost 70 pounds the first year. I had a surgery last year (not related to the band) and they had to empty my band because I was to inflated, result I gaines 30 pounds and even if they restarded to refill my band, I'm still gaining wait.

So I'm seriously thinking about the sleeve but reading your posted I realize that they can't do it in one surgery (taking out the band and proceeding with the sleeve), is that right?

Thank you

Frenchie

Hi frenchie,I was reading your blog and not forsure how much time has past sence you have posted it but you can go from the band to gastric bypass right away but there is a wait from the band to the sleeve.they have to let the area heal first I hope everything goes better for you,and I havnt had my surgery yet and my surgeon told me first and up front that she thinks that the sleeve would fit me better.....I was so glad to hear that before finding out too last because I am a big chicken anyway...it is 1 time and 1 time only for me unless.....what ever mey happen.....and that covers a lot of ground....thanks sleevless4now

So I have read most of the responses on here and I am just in the beggining of making the decision as to whether or not I would even consider switching from the band to VSG. I was incredibly successful with the band for about 2 years. I lost 110 pounds in 9.5 months, ran a marathon, and had 2 tummy tucks. However, I was completely unfilled just before the last Tummy Tuck and I have been unsuccessful in reaching any sort of restriction since then. The fills/unfills are killing me especially since I lived 7 hours away from my doctor and that drive also included a trip over mountain passes. I never really thought about my band being an issue for me, but now that I think about it I have never had the ability to maintain a fill. I have either been too tight or too loose. However, I was a self pay with the band ($17000) and would be a self pay with the VSG. I am just so apprehensive because maybe it isn't the band...maybe it is me. For those of you who didn't have medical complications (slippage, flipped port, erosion) do you feel that the VSG makes life easier? Obviously for those with the medical complications...life is much better now!! I know that food is always going to be an issue in my life, but my band is so fickle. One day I can out eat my husband and the next day every bite makes me feel like I'm going to hurl. Is the sleeve the same????

I moved to Texas in October and so now the ability to go and see my band dr. is completely removed. I did find a doc that will do fills so I am going to give this another shot. Hopefully they will be able to get a fill level that will work for me. If not...I will be seriously considering VSG. My husband seems to be more okay with this than I am. I just think that I am failing the band and myself...My food choices have not been the greatest and exercise is very difficult for me right now. Most of it is due to being depressed about the 50 pounds I have gained back. I know that I will have to take the weightloss much slower than I did with the band because I did experience some health problems due to the rapid weight loss. I want to just be healthy and if that means that I am not a size 4 I am okay with that. All I want is to get the life back that I had when my band was working...not sure that VSG will be any better. Sorry for rambling...I'm just kind of at the same panic level I was when I opted for the band.

I never had any complications from the band, unless you call not being able to eat a lot of healthy things because they would get stuck a complication. I also could never find the sweet spot, and I got real good at eating fattening slider foods to get around it if it felt too tight. I just hated food constantly getting stuck (and yes, I chewed like crazy), not being able to eat salads and fruits like grapes and oranges, and the feeling of the port bumping my ribcage. One of the most embarrassing things I dealt with was running out of a restaurant in downtown Santa Fe after a fancy meal and basically throwing up out in a dark alleyway. The bathroom was full and I didn't want to have to do it in front of people.

Getting all that plastic out of my body was so freeing. Living with the sleeve is completely effortless. I love it and would recommend it to anyone not happy with their band. Fills, schmills - who needs them???

In Texas there are plenty of surgeons experienced in revisions. I was also self-pay, so I know this is not a decision to take lightly. Good luck!