Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 2 (stall?)

Well today is my two week mark and I lost 1lb. I am happy that I lost because that it what it is all about but it just seems weird to lose a pound! I am pretty sure I know it's because since I'm taking in such a small amount of calories that my body is holding onto whatever it can. I have had a nasty cold this week and I'm sure my body needs all it can to fight that!

So my goal for myself is to up my Protein intake and keep up with my Water and this week I get to go back to the gym so more walking! YAY!! DH is in the hospital this morning getting his sleeve so I'll be on the go all week which will be nice! YAY!

Hi Dawn-

Are you still on liquids only? Last week I went ahead and added soft Proteins like tuna, canned chicken, crab, egg whites, tilapia, cottage cheese and the like with no problems.

After surgery I had gained about 13 pounds in Fluid, which took over a week to lose again - quite frustraing - but now I'm losing about 1-2 pounds a day, which I am happy with.

I haven't returned to my exercise yet because I've been hurting a bit. I tried walking a few times last week, but was really sore the next day so I decided to give myself a break. I hope to return to my exercise this week. My 2 week post-op is tomorrow, and I hope to get the 'go ahead' on everything at that point.

Overall I am quite happy with where I am at this point. As of this morning I am down 33 pounds, which isn't too bad. I feel better each day and I can't complain.

I wish you luck with your DH in the next few weeks as he gets his sleeve. Keep your chin up and make sure to take care of yourself, too!

I am on full liquids! I think this week I should be able to add eggs! I did make chili and blend it up and have been eating it and then got to thinking, that might be more of a pureed food? But it went down great! I'm not going to make/eat anything else though until I get the go ahead from my NUT! I didn't gain at all from surgery I was down 10lbs right away and the throughout the rest of week 1 I ended up with being down 15lbs! So when I look at the big picture, down 16lbs in two weeks is AWESOME!

Dawn:

I started to slow down a couple of days ago, too. I think that the first week the weight loss is SO fast and so easy because of the extra Fluid, from the surgery etc. And then when the drain is out, well that's like a pound almost. I'm at the beach now (yes, one of the benefits of living in Panama), and so I didn't weigh myself this morning. I also think that full liquids, especially if they are creamy Soups, can be more calories than we really want. My doc wants me to focus on healing now, and at my two week checkup, tomorrow, we'll focus on learning how to eat really foods (soft). I'm pretty sure that with soft foods, (fish, chicken) I'll be able to get my Protein. I've also found that I'm better without dairy, and better if I'm away from my desk at work, because I had some unhealthy stress-related eating habits. I also know that it's ironic but you'll lose more if you force the Water...at least that's what we did when we had to cut weight for wrestling in college.

It's probably time to switch to weighing ourselves every few days, or else we might get neurotic. I certainly can see it in my clothes, as I've put away all of my XXL shirts and am working on the XLs. My wife also says that I'm snoring less.

Here is what I wrote in a different (but similar) topic:

It's pretty much impossible to actually lose 21 pounds (not sure how much was pre surgery, but you get my point) of weight in 14 days - do the math, it is 1.5 pounds a day. 1 pound of fat is the equivalent of 3,500 calories, so in order to lose 1 pound of fat, you have to eat 3,500 calories than you need. I only need about 1,600 calories (at my current activity level) or so to sustain so even if I eat nothing, I would only lose 1 pound every two days - so if I lose more than that, I know it's muscle and dehydration.

My take on it is this: I believe post surgery, I dropped a lot because I was dehydrated and I also believe my body was in some kind of shock. Now at this point, my body catches up with hydration and comes out of the daze and while I am now actually losing body mass, the fact I am getting proper hydration and just getting healthy again somewhat balances that out on the scale.

Just imagine your 21 pounds - the volume of 6 gallons of milk, it's not really possible so there is no reason to worry. You body is rearranging and rethinking.

Other than that, if you are really worried about your intake, start logging you calories.

Hope that helps!

Susanne

Hey Dawn. I gained 15 lbs in the hospital and let me tell you, I was hot! Lol. I had orginally planned to only weight at the dr's office or monthly but tomorrow is my two week mark so I decided to sneak a peak. I have lost the reminder of the gained Water weight plus one pound. I like you am thinking that it may not be fast but it is progress!

I am finding it so hard to get my Protein and fluids in. I love to drink, I just get busy and realize that it has been two hours since I drank anything. Then I try to drink slowly but efficently for the remainder of the day. Does that ever happen to you? Today I bought some different Soups, snack size cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt with fruit on the side. I am hoping that having access to this "easy" Protein will help.

Also, have you started back with your supplements? I did only take bc pills. Now I am trying to take the nausea meds, bc pill, Multivitamin, b-12, vit d and Calcium. I just don't have the room for it all so it usually ends up being nausea meds, pain med at night, and bc pill. Just curious if you are taking supplements, how are you dividing them out?

Hope you have a great day!!!

I tried yogurt hopeing my tastes had changed, nope still don't like it :( I am taking a Multivitamin but that is it. My doctor hopes I will be able to keep all my levels up on my own but we are checking them all in the middle of this month and if I'm not then I'll have to take supplements! The only other thing I take is the Nexuim everyday! I've been getting in like 2 C of milk and now eggs and Protein Drinks so I hope I don't end up going on any supplements!

Hey Dawn. I gained 15 lbs in the hospital and let me tell you, I was hot! Lol. I had orginally planned to only weight at the dr's office or monthly but tomorrow is my two week mark so I decided to sneak a peak. I have lost the reminder of the gained Water weight plus one pound. I like you am thinking that it may not be fast but it is progress!

I am finding it so hard to get my Protein and fluids in. I love to drink, I just get busy and realize that it has been two hours since I drank anything. Then I try to drink slowly but efficently for the remainder of the day. Does that ever happen to you? Today I bought some different Soups, snack size cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt with fruit on the side. I am hoping that having access to this "easy" Protein will help.

Also, have you started back with your supplements? I did only take bc pills. Now I am trying to take the nausea meds, bc pill, multivitamin, b-12, vit d and Calcium. I just don't have the room for it all so it usually ends up being nausea meds, pain med at night, and bc pill. Just curious if you are taking supplements, how are you dividing them out?

What is a bc pill?

I'm guessing it means Birth Control! I don't have to worry about that, DH was fixed! LOL

So I really need to stay off my scale :( I don't like what it reads this week so far :(

Also, have you started back with your supplements? I did only take bc pills. Now I am trying to take the nausea meds, bc pill, multivitamin, b-12, vit d and Calcium. I just don't have the room for it all so it usually ends up being nausea meds, pain med at night, and bc pill. Just curious if you are taking supplements, how are you dividing them out?

My doctor will have me starting the following starting week 3 when I start the mushie/soft food stage. They recommend the multivitamin when we get up, calcium with mid morning snack, lunch and mid afternoon snack and Vitamin before bed. We are make sure the Vitamin and calcium is taken at least one hour apart. We will also take weekly a sublingual B-12. Spacing it out over the day make easier. They did prescribe nexium for acid and that is taking in the morning an hour a before I eat. I was just sleeved yesterday so I have not yet started all of this. I was one of the lucky ones and have not any nausea. I am doing the pain meds yet today but I will probably do that at night for a few more days.

I think I have stalled too. You and I had our surgeries the same day. My scale hasn't moved in 4 days. I was started on a Multi-Vitamin and Calcium and given a B-12 shot. I am eating soft foods. I was having trouble getting all my Protein in cause I just can't stomach the Protein Shakes anymore. My dietician recommended SF Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink. Mixed with 8 oz of FF milk it has 13 gms of protein and actually tastes good. However, I'm not sure I am drinking enough Water and I need to get my butt out and start exercising now. Hope this stall doesn't last long for either one of us. Hang in there.