Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All day job Interview 3 weeks out?????

Dear all:

Thanks for the great wisdom on this board. I've mostly been lurking, until I made my decision to do the surgery. Your comments were critical.

Here is my problem: I was planning on getting the sleeve right before Thanksgiving. This works well for me, because as a field scientist, my critical field work time is in January, February and March. I need to be mobile and have long days. My second child is due in April, and knowing my wife, and the fact that we live abroad, I don't want to wait until after the baby for this, because I might never do it. I'd rather be thinner with more energy when number 2 comes along (and for the field work). So, late November sounded good, and I was looking at airfares, etc. Until, yesterday....

So, as a scientist, my goal is a tenure track job. Right now I'm on a yearly contract with no benefits. Tenure track, and then tenure is the holy grail. I just got invited to interview for a tenure track position that I'm really interested in. But the interviews include giving a lecture and a full day (8 am until 8 pm, with social meals....let's say a lunch with students and dinner with faculty). And it is scheduled for the second week of December.

I'm not too worried about being tired (but maybe I should be), but instead I'm worried about eating (or should I say not eating, rather drinking). I'd like to think that university types would be all Enlightened about this stuff, but my experience tells me other wise.

I could wait until after I return, or I could try to rush the surgery next week (I already started a pre-op diet to give me options.)

Thoughts? Advice? All is quite appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Matt

Hello Matt, and welcome to VST - or at least to beginning posting with us :)

This is an interesting question, however I wouldn't know how to answer it because everyone is different. We all have our own comfort levels and know what we can withstand or not.

Tiredness was a real problem for me three weeks out of surgery, and I wasn't really mentally "all there" at that time. Not to say you won't be - only giving you a personal experience. It was hard for me to function with such limited amount of intake as far as nutrition is concerned. Also, it's really difficult to get all our liquids in, so if you are going to be busy all day it would be pretty easy to forget to take sips throughout the day. That said, if it's only one day I wouldn't worry all that much. If it's longer than that I would consider this definitely.

All the best to you, and whatever you decide I hope you do well.

Welcome to VST Matt!!!

the liquid stage right after surgery is sort of an awkward spot for me anyway. Many people just didnt understand what was going on with me when i was on the liquid stage of my post op diet... and I was not always up to explaining why I was doing it.. Energy wise for me, I had my surgery Oct 1 and I was back to work on the 7th. I definitely think that it is doable for you but if you are able to get the surgery a bit sooner.. Id personally do that... only because im impatient and it at least gives you a few more weeks to get yourself ready for this interview!!! .... I wish you all the best and I really hope that everything with your VSG and interview go amazingly for you!! You wont regret it one bit... maybe a little buyers remorse the day after surgery but that will pass :)

Thanks guys for all the posts. Agreeing with all that you've said here, it would be likely that I could return to work relatively quickly afterwards, especially, since right now work consists of sitting at a desk in my own office in front of a computer. The interview is different. Not only is there a 6 hour trans-continental flight, but also a very long, full day on my feet, with few breaks, and probably little sympathy for time outs for slow slipping of shakes. I think that the best course is to either try to get it done next week (which would give me a month out) or wait until afterwards.

I'm impatient too. But, I've started a strict no-carb diet, which makes me feel like I'm on the path to somewhere. I guess it's time to call my doctor and discuss my options.

Also, talk to you doctor about what his diet plan is for post op. I noticed that someone said you would still be on liquids. My doctor puts his patients on pureed/mushy foods when you hit the 2 week mark. I was able to do soft scrambled eggs, refried Beans, cheeses etc. I started feeling WAY better once I was on that food instead of the liquids. I did notice that I still had some brain fog at week 3 though. For me, I wouldn't have been able to do a long lecture day but it seems like most people didn't have it as tough as I did. I'm at 5 1/2 weeks now and just traveling across country today (CA to PA) for the first time for work.

As mentioned earlier, this is going to be a very personal issue. Everyone heals differently. I thought I would bounce back quickly as I normally do from surgery, but that was not the case with the sleeve. My hernia repair was a big issue for me, but overall my body took a long time to "get right". I didn't begin to feel like I might ever be normal again until 4 weeks out. I wasn't ready to go back to work until 6 weeks out. Luckily I was on summer vacation during that time. But, many people on the forum went back to work a week or two later with no big issues.

Having said all that, I think it's very possible that even if you're not feeling great on the day of the interview, you could fake your way through it. I was on soft foods by this point but didn't have much of an appetite. Since you probably don't want to announce to people that you're out of sorts because of WLS, plan to plead a stomach virus or something similar. This will excuse you from eating like everyone else and allow you to eat Soup or sip all day. No one would think anything about it. It would also explain any appearance of fatigue on your part. Hopefully you will be able to showcase your experience during the day without having to be super energetic.

I agree with you that there will likely be things in the future that will interfere with you having surgery - especially the birth of a child. If you're ready to do it now, you should move forward and not let the possibility of not being up for the interview delay your surgery. This surgery will be a huge positive change in your life that will have far reaching effects. It will benefit you far more than one interview could ever do.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.