Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP...starting mushies today.

Need help quick....:help:

I got out my diet instruction pack and after all the lists of what to eat, etc. on the mushy stage they do not state anywhere how much to eat at a time. Nor any mention of calories (I know this is a healing stage but shouldn't we be limiting the calories, too?)

I called my doctors office but something is wrong with their phone and it keeps hanging up on me! I emailed but no answer as yet.

Please, any help would be fantastic.

Also, do you substitute the Protein shakes for a meal or consider then a between meal snack?

Thanks...:hug:

I use Protein shakes as a substitute for a meal. When I did mushies I was starving so maybe you should try P'nuts trick of bean & bacon Soup pureed. I don't like Beans or I would of tried it but it sounds filling.

I ate a lot of yogart, apple sauce, some oatmeal... Mushies wasn't my favorite time. The doctor told me it was ok to have sugar during the mushies since he wanted me to have enough calories to heal and not to be weak. I think he was kind of wrong since sugar "increases" cravings and maybe that's why I was so hugry.

Hi,

I'm on mushies too. For Breakfast I have 1 scrambled egg OR a Carnation Breakfast. lunch I have tuna with mayo and cut up pickle (chew well). I just made potatoe salad. (Chew well). Cream Soups. Bean and Bacon is good. I eat about 1/2 cup wait a few moments and then see if I'm still hungry. So far so good. Mashed potatoes with a little gravy is good too.

Sharon

All I can say is BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE SCRAMBLED EGGS! I know they're on the soft food list for a lot of new bandsters but I also know that if you cook them too hot, too fast, the Protein binds together in solid little, dry, blocks. If you get a piece stuck it could really do some damage in the healing phase. I got a bit of scrambled egg stuck at 12 weeks and the PB lasted for 6 hours and 10 or more heaves. If my band was still being held in place by sutures, I would have ripped them. As it is, I caused some irritation which took a long time to start feeling better.

Be careful out there.

I am pre op, but I like those teeny tiny cans of salmon and mayo. Just open and eat.

alaska_winners.jpg

And no, I don't sell the product, I just like them and so do my kids.

Hi jc, I actually just got off the phone with my surgeons nutritionist and this is what she told me. Right now we are healing so eat foods that will be easy on your band. Don't worry about the weight, eat till your satisfied. When we start to eat soft food and regular food it is our job to pick quality, and the bands job to limit quantity. If you have to eat more then you think to be satisfied, then time will indicate that you will need a fill (about 2-3 weeks). That seemed to make it simple to understand. It also takes a bit of the pressure off of us.:)

how about vegetarian refried beans--they have 0 fat because they are not made with animal fat. very tasty, high in Protein, and Fiber.

butternut squash Soup

split pea soup, made with chicken broth, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaves, and your favorite spices is excellent

cream of wheat

grits

and the "tender harvest" brand of gerber baby food has one called "chicken and wild rice." excellent.

Janey,

I think at this stage adding a Protein shake in there for good measure couldn't hurt...you need the Protein, and it's what 60 calories per serving??? If it helps you feel satisfied, whooppee!!

Also, for a desserty-breakfast, have you tried cottage cheese with Splenda Brown Sugar and cinnamon? yummy.

I am wondering about this too. Have read everywhere that 2 oz or 1/2 cup is what we will be limited too, but PREfill, and just after surgery we don't really have the band restricting us (after the swelling goes down).

What would be a fair Prefill limitation. Keep it under 1/2 cup at a time? Wait 5 minutes, try some more? Honestly today I can handle a cup at a time with no problems... and it scares me...