Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need help making a decision

hi i am going to get wls i am having trouble deciding which one to get can you help me by telling me if you would do the band surgery again and why or if you would do the bypassthanks for the help joey:)

The decision will be yours to make, of course, but to answer your question...I would definately make the same decision to get my lap band again if the sands of time were reversed in a strange alternate universe!!

I made my decision based on several factors. First and foremost, my bariatric doctor said that he felt this surgery was better suited to me than other alternatives. I'd definately ask for a medical opinion from a trusted, knowledgeable medical person in your life. Secondly, after a lot---I mean hours and hours--of research on my own, I also decided that this procedure was the safer option FOR ME.

I could go on, but I can't stress enough how important it is to do the legwork and weigh the options in your own terms as to how either surgery might affect your life, your family, your health, your budget etc. etc. This has been the most personal decision I've ever made for myself. WLS will CHANGE YOUR LIFE and I just want you to feel confident in your decision.

I know I probably didn't provide the info you were hoping for but I hope it helped a bit. Good luck and there are lots and lots of wonderful people on this site who have posted many pros/cons and other thoughts related to WLS so strolling through some posts may also help you gain a better picture of how WLS has affected real people. Good luck!

If you've done your leg work, you'll know which one is right for you. I''d do the lap band again and not the bypass. Why? Pre-op I talked to at least 60 people over many months who had either been banded or had the gastric bypass. I got a lot of information that isn't in the literature. My reasons for getting the lap gand: 1. when there were serious problems, the bypass people had more serious complications. 2. the surgery is more difficult, recovery takes longer 3. In my opinion because of the malabsorbtion of the bypass the bypass people were more cavilier with what they ate because they lose weight anyway. Lap Banders in general can not be so wild with what they eat, they have to be careful. 4. The bypass can not be undone. I hope I don't have to lose my band, but if some medical condition unrelated to the band arrises, I may have to save my life and get it out. The bypass is permanent.

That is just my thoughts. I met a lot of successful people who were banded AND had G bypass. The major difference in success was due to their attitude and their commitment to better health. Which ever you choose, I think if you are committed to follow the Doc's instructions and follow the food suggestions, you'll be fine.

They are right.... The decision is yours.

However, if you are asking my personal opinion I am more than willing to share it. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a more life long procedure rather than the long term lap band. As Inamed will even tell you, the band is designed for long term (ie average 6-10 years) whereas another form is life long. I didn't know this when I got the surgery. I would have went for more permanant methods personally.

Don't get me wrong... I love my band and I love what it has done for me. I look and feel great! But, I will be converting when the life of my band expires to more perm method. I just would have done the perm method faster.

6 to 10 years? I thought it was longer.... I will have to look into that again. LOL ya know I got early Alzhiemers right?

Jenna, I thought it was longer too. I though what Inamed said was no statistics are available longer than 10 years as its only been around that long. I could be wrong.

I think there will be more procedures developed in the next 10 yrs, hopefully some even more simple and less invasive than either Lapband or Gbypass. There is one ne procedure testing now that gives an small electric pulse to your stomach that makes you fill full.

Something will be developed because obesity is such a big problem and there's money in it for someone.

Just a quick FYI, I had the slippage postop and today, 6 weeks later, I'm having my best day. It has taken a long time to get my energy back and get used to this Band. I am beginning to feel better about having it. My weight loss is good, 30 pounds in all. I lose about 2 pounds every 5 to 6 days. Yesterday I rode a bile for the first time in 10 years. I've still got a pretty big butt "but" I rode a bike! The band is working and so am I. It is 60% the band, and 40% me. Yeah!

To my knowledge... Craig at Inamed told me that the longest statistic is 10 years because that is the longest that an Inamed band has been put in as the original. He said it was common to need a replacement band after 5 years if the band lasts that long. Needless to say, my conversation with him was less than encouraging considering I already had the band. And I am a bit miffed that my doctor never told me about this being long term rather than perm lifelong. I knew of the complications, but I didn't know they were practically inevitable and very rare to have an ORIGINAL band for more than 10 years.

This is also their disclaimer on their website. They just don't really mention how rare it is to not have problems at some point during the "life" of your band. Which is estimated up to 10 years.

Is there a chance the device will need to be removed?

The LAP-BAND System is a long-term implant, but it may have to be removed or replaced at any time. For instance, the device may need to be removed to manage any adverse reactions you might have. The device may also need to be removed, repositioned or replaced if you aren't losing as much weight as you and your doctor feel you should be losing.

http://www.lap-band.com/risk.html

Jenna, well that is very disappointing, expecially since Inamed and the Docs don't tell us much about the life expectancy of the band just vague mumbo jumbo. A very young person might have to replace it a number of times. I do hope the medical community willl develop a new solution in the next 5 years that will be better all around. I looked at the g-bypass 6 years ago and decided just to wait for something safer and less invasive. For now I guess I will live with my decision to have the band and accept that at the time I made it, for me, it reallly was my only choice. That or continue into terrible health due to my obesity. In general I think obese people have a desparate mind set and tend to ignore the downside. We just want to be able to live a normal life. At least that was where my head was. I was so tired of being obese and all that goes with it. Just 30 lbs lighter my blood pressure is really low, feeling much better, and much more active. My relationship with my spouse is so much better. I feel better about me and I am happier, so it spreads around. Even with my complications, today, I'd do it again.

There has been great improvement to the band since starting out. The statics reflect problems with the older versions... So 6-10 years will probably change over time.

Personally, I would still get the band over the bypass. The bypass is permanent, but it doesn't guarantee that you will be successful unless you do the job. Many people get the bypass, lose lots of weight, then regain. Some are opting to get the lapband on top of the bypass to have another tool to work towards being successful.

And you never know. In 5-10 years, they may have to perfect thing to lose weight, and all we have to do is get the band off and we are pretty much back to the way we were prior to any surgery. Not so with the bypassers.

Personally, I kind of think of these WLS as being progressive. The lapband is the least evasive and it can be removed. If this doesn't work for you, then you can opt for the bypass surgeries. For me, I wanted to go this route and not leap to the bypass if this less-evasive procedure works.

And there is a huge advantage of having the band over the bypass. It is adjustable.

I got the band, kept it three years and then had it removed and got the DS. I would not have been happy with the bypass...mostly for the same reasons the band was not a good "match" for me...although the "match" wasn't the only reason I had it out.

I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with any of the surgeries...it's just a matter of what works best for each of us. I'd rather hear an argument about why a given surgery was RIGHT for someone than what they think is WRONG with the other surgeries...because what's right and what's wrong depends on the needs of the person doing the choosing!! (Age, how long MO, other co-morbidities, current BMI, psychological health, history of other eating disorders or compulsive behaviors, reasons leading to obesity, likelihood of complying with follow-up and other things should all be considered prior to choosing a surgery. And with all that to consider, OF COURSE there will be different "best" answers.)

If I had had the DS three years ago, I'd have been through the weight loss part already and that would be better than starting at Square One all over again, like I've had to do.

Hi Sue. I don't know if you remember me. We met at Hotel Lucerna the day before I was going to be banded by Dr O.. I think you were there for a fill... I didn't know that you had the DS... That would be my choice if the band didn't work (though I am only half way to were I want to go...)

You are absolutely correct. Each surgery has it's own pros and cons and I think that it all depends on the person getting the WLS... I would hope that each and every person having surgery research each surgery thoroughly and make the best decision for them. I think you can't go wrong if you know exactly what to expect and know all of your options...