Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does food ever get "stuck" in the sleeve like the band

i hate the feeling of stuck food- like a crushing chest pain, shoulder pain, having to TMI gag yourself desperate to dislodge the offending asparagus(or whatever) finally so desperate you heimlich yourself and then if still unsucessful wait wait wait npo, spitting saliva all day long until at least saliva will stay down, staying nothing by mouth for 24hours and gradually starting clear liq again......please say it isnt so with the vsg I'm considering

This has never happened to me! From what I hear from the "band revision-ers", they are happy after getting the sleeve that this doesn't happen anymore. If you over eat it can become a little uncomfortable, and it's possible to slime and bring it up, but not likely.

kst, I'm only less than 2 weeks out but I notice a difference already. I did have some chest pains with the swallows I'm taking but they are getting better with every single day. From what I was told this can be more normal for those who are revisions from band.

It has and will continue to subside though, and I do have to remember to take tiny sips. It doesn't last forever though, just while I'm healing.

I have to tell you though I feel like the Sleeve is EVERYTHING we were looking for with our bands, minus all the bad things the band gave us. No more fills/unfills, no more foreign object choking our stomachs, NO MORE HUNGER!!! Some sleevers do still experience some hunger but nothing like before. I personally never feel hungry... ever. I don't miss it! It was the one reason I was able to ever stay on track and not gain the weight back. Now with it gone, it feels almost effortless my weight loss and really no desire to eat all day long.

I do still have some head hunger, that will never go away but I'm able to ignore it more now that I don't feel physical hunger.

Please let me know how you do! I'm always interested to know how the Revisionaries are doing. :001_tt2:

thank u lil miss diva, u r even from my geographical area so i will follow ur sucess with happiness

It can happen when you are still in the healing process. I kind of feel like we as revisioners have the learning curve of eating with the sleeve down.

Things can get stuck if you eat too fast, or don't chew things up completely when early out, BUT, it's a completely different feeling than what the band offers.

The best way for me to explain it is: You take a bite, you feel a bit of discomfort, you might slime a little bit, and then that bite comes up. No gagging, puking, or shoving your finger down your throat to induce vomiting. It's just not the same experience. It only happened to me a couple of times when I was transitioning to solid foods.

When it did happen, I didn't put anything solid in my stomach for a couple of hours, and stuck with mushy foods for 1 day. By mushy, I mean chicken salad/tuna salad/chili/beans/etc etc. I never went back to a liquid diet because of a stuck episode. The sleeve really does give you everything the band promises but fails on.

Best wishes in your research. . .

Someone who had the surgery (not on this board) had this issue. She did not chew her food and because of it.. it got stuck. She ended up with an ulcer and severe pain. Chew your food thoroughly and you should be fine.

omg diva, I could have written your post word for word. this is how I feel too!! and at least when I feel hungry, I can go have a half an applesauce and I'm full!!! (granted I'm only a week out, but I'm already SO much happier!)

It only happens on the odd occasion I overeat. It's like being very very full and usually eases on lying down. I usually end up being sick with the sliming and foaming for a while but as I said that is usually when I have done something stupid.