Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do we need a B12 supplement?

I am taking a Multi-Vitamin, but is there anything else we really should be supplementing right now? How about after the recovery stage when we are just doing our daily eating? I'm not big on swallowing pills, especially big ones, so I'm hoping we do not need a lot of Vitamins. I can handle my one chewable a day. Just curious though. I've seen it mentioned a few times. THANKS!

Over in the UK we are advised to have a B12 supplement in addition to our Multivitamin. I have an injection every 3 months. I missed it earlier in the year when I suffered a head injury and when I had my bloods done my Iron was down as well and I have been on iron tablets since. However, since then I have kept up to date with my B12 and am hoping that my iron levels will have sorted themselves out now too.

Yeah, you should take B12. You can get a sublingual tablet, so you don't have to swallow the whole pill.

Thanks for telling me what that meant. haha.. I was going to ask or google. Are there any decent tasting ones you guys can recommend? I'll have to look around at my pharmacy too.

I am taking a multi-Vitamin, but is there anything else we really should be supplementing right now? How about after the recovery stage when we are just doing our daily eating? I'm not big on swallowing pills, especially big ones, so I'm hoping we do not need a lot of Vitamins. I can handle my one chewable a day. Just curious though. I've seen it mentioned a few times. THANKS!

The B12s are tiny so you'll be able to swallow it just fine fairly early on if you decide to add this supplement to your regimen.

My NUT says B12 shots or sublingual only. pills/vitamins for B12 arent absorbed well by the digestive system so it wont be getting into you :001_tongue: You should easily be able to get the sublingual anywhere - mine came from CVS pharmacy. She told me 2000MCG per week is what I should target.

Thanks for telling me what that meant. haha.. I was going to ask or google. Are there any decent tasting ones you guys can recommend? I'll have to look around at my pharmacy too.

I get my B12 sublinguals at Wal-Mart. 60 day supply for $5.00. Green bottle with a yellow label and yellow cap.

My multi is chewable with bioavailable Vitamins and minerals so even though I do not take my sublingual B12 on a regular basis, I have not had any type of deficiency on b12 or any other vitamin/mineral on any of my follow ups, which were every 3 months for the first year, and now I'll go every 6 months for 2 years.

Why do you take multi?

I think this is because most of us can't eat enough (especially early on) to ensure that we're getting the proper nutrients we would normally get from food. The multi takes the place of food-based nutrients.

My NUT says B12 shots or sublingual only. pills/vitamins for B12 arent absorbed well by the digestive system so it wont be getting into you B) You should easily be able to get the sublingual anywhere - mine came from CVS pharmacy. She told me 2000MCG per week is what I should target.

Thanks, I hadn't heard it explained this way before about the sublinguals. I'll have to see if I can find a small supply to try first because I have a weird aversion to any chewable supplements right now and I guess I've lumped the dissolvables into that category. My post op plan only recommends Multivitamins and Calcium so I guess I'll be ok for a while.

DOesn't everyone take a multi-Vitamin? Like people with WLS and without? I just thought that's what you do! To cover the Vitamins and minerals maybe not met that day through food.

Everyone "should" take a good quality mulit-vitamin. I took them before surgery, and will continue for the rest of my life.