Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 2 Weeks out and not doing well.

Hi, I'm Rhonda and it's been two weeks since my sleeve. I posted on another post a week or so a go but decided I needed to do my own. While in the hospital I went into renal failure and ended up getting 2 units of blood. Since being at home, things have steadily gone downhill in my opinion. I'm exhausted all the time, getting my Protein and liquid down is a feat in itself. My kidneys are acting up again and now I've started throwing up. Is any of this normal? As it is no where near what I expected. My mood swings are horrible. I go from crying to being okay in a matter of minutes. Please say a prayer or two for me as I am at the end of my rope.

If anyone has experienced any of this I could use your input. thanks again.

Rhonda, you are in my prayers. Keep it up, one day at a time.

I'm sorry Rhonda. i'll keep you in my prayers too. I'm two weeks out today and while I haven't had the problems you have, I'm feel like I'm not doing well either. I'm having a hard time getting in Protein too. I go between acid refllux and nausea. Hang in there! We'll get through this together.

You need to call the dr right away if you haven't done so yet. Depression and mood swings are common but need to be treated or medicated. I am concerned about you. Will keep you in prayers

I am a little over 3 weeks out now, and while I had a super smooth time in the hospital, since being home I have had exhaustion, nausea, happy to grumpy in minutes and a really hard time getting in the nutrition and Vitamins that are required.

Cold to room temperature liquid/food can be just fine or it can send me into 30 minutes of gut wrenching nausea. Yesterday was the first day since surgery that I was able to get in 75g of Protein or more, but my h20 was less than I needed. I am slowly but surely getting to the point "they" tell you to be at the moment you get home.

All of this is to let you know that even though I did not experience the health problems you did in the hospital I think it just takes some time for some people to get up to speed, and you may be one of them.

Given the problems you did experience however, I would watch myself very closely, and keep in touch with your MD to make sure your kidneys are not causing some of these issues as well.

Wishing you the best and hopefully in another week or two you will start feeling better, and more capable of the intake we need.

I will be two weeks out on Thursday, I am not having all the problems you are having, but I can not get my Protein down, I'm only getting about half , and working hard on my Water, but not doing good at that either. I have nausea on and off, depending on what I'm eating. So you are not alone with all of those, but I am worried about you , and that you had problems from the get go. Call your Doctor, and just make sure everything is okay. Please let us know, when you find out something. You are in my thoughts, and prayers. I hope things get better for you soon.

Hi, I'm Rhonda and it's been two weeks since my sleeve. I posted on another post a week or so a go but decided I needed to do my own. While in the hospital I went into renal failure and ended up getting 2 units of blood. Since being at home, things have steadily gone downhill in my opinion. I'm exhausted all the time, getting my Protein and liquid down is a feat in itself. My kidneys are acting up again and now I've started throwing up. Is any of this normal? As it is no where near what I expected. My mood swings are horrible. I go from crying to being okay in a matter of minutes. Please say a prayer or two for me as I am at the end of my rope.

If anyone has experienced any of this I could use your input. thanks again.

Wow i'm so sorry your having all this problems. . . hopefully it'll soon settle and you can go on readjusting to your new lifestyle. . . prayers and hugs your way!

I am not sure if you've gone to your doctor since your hospitalization or transfusion, but it's definitely time to see him or her again, ASAP. I would even go to the ER, if I were you. Acute renal failure (ARF) often clears up on its own, but up to 50% of people may need short-term dialysis until their kidneys heal - which could take up to a month. You may be in that category. I'm not sure what you mean by "my kidneys are acting up." Did you get bad urine/blood tests back that showed that your kidneys are not functioning properly, or are you just having symptoms like poor urine output?

Your nausea/vomiting may be related to your kidney failure; you may be unable to clear out toxins from your body, and they could be building up in your body and making you feel nauseous and dizzy. You could also have an electrolyte imbalance both due to kidney issues and difficulty staying hydrated.

Bottom line: this has the potential to be something serious, and considering your experience with kidney failure, you definitely need to be seen ASAP. If you can't see your doc the same day, I'd go to the ER. I'd also ensure you have someone checking up on you if you are at home and live alone, or to accompany you to the ER, because if this is one of the ARF complications, e.g. uremic syndrome, things could get worse and you might even collapse, which would be very dangerous if there's no one around to call the ambulance or notify the triage personnel at the ER.

Thinking of you Rhonda! I hope you are on the mend and feeling better soon!

I have no idea what's going on with the nausea and throwing up - you should definitely talk with your surgeon about those symptoms. It may be nothing, but it should would bring peace of mind to know for sure.

As far as the mood swings - you are just about on par with many people.

I think it's just a combination of your body healing and going through the "what have I done phase". I was told that a large percentage of WLS patients have some depression after surgery ranging from mild to severe. Fortunately, mine was short-lived. But, if you are very concerned, talk to your doctor. Your support system can be a good judge as well - are they noticing new behaviors that concern them?

You can also use us for vent sessions. Sometimes it just helps to write it all out. While we can't "answer" all your questions and concerns, we can definitely offer a sympathetic ear.

GOOD LUCK - hopefully you will be feeling MUCH better VERY soon!

Thank you all for advice, support and prayers. I was able to see my Dr. today. We agreed I have a Kidney Infection and she has placed me on Septra DS. She ordered a full work up in the hospital lab in the morning to ease some of my other fears. I also stressed to her about my inablility to get all my Protein in and she went ahead and placed me on the next stage of the diet. This eases my mind as well as my stomach. I will keep you all posted as to how my labs come back.

Thank you again for your support. All of you are worth your presurgery weight in gold.

So glad you were able to talk wuth your doctor. It really helos to have expert care and advice. Keep us posted.

Thank you all for advice, support and prayers. I was able to see my Dr. today. We agreed I have a Kidney Infection and she has placed me on Septra DS. She ordered a full work up in the hospital lab in the morning to ease some of my other fears. I also stressed to her about my inablility to get all my Protein in and she went ahead and placed me on the next stage of the diet. This eases my mind as well as my stomach. I will keep you all posted as to how my labs come back.

Thank you again for your support. All of you are worth your presurgery weight in gold.

I'm so glad you were able to get in and see your Doctor. I know it eased your mind. I was really worried about you. As far as not getting in Protein maybe I should call my doctor, and he will advance me to the next level (mushies).

I came late to this thread, but I'm glad you went to see your doctor and you'll have labs done today. I hope you're feeling better. I remember having horrible nausea and not being able to kick it post-op, but I can tell you that part will get better (if there's no underlying medical cause). Being dehydrated will make you nauseous though, so try to keep the fluids going in, even when you don't feel like it. Hopefully having a few new foods to try will help you get your Protein in as well. I had a really hard time with protein up to a month out when I was able to eat real food. I am still having to get one Protein Shake a day down at nearly 2 months out. Hopefully this is all just normal stuff that comes along with the first couple weeks pre-op, and they will all get better. I hope your labs come back normal, and you don't have further complications. Best of luck to you!

Glad you made it to the doc. I'm just 5wks out and I'm feeling the emotions now.. I coasted through he first 3 wks but once I got my 1st menstral cycle it went down hill from there.. it's just one day at a time.