Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: To tell or not to tell co-workers

I was mobbed by the rest of my tarot class on Tuesday.

"I don't think you should get surgery, why can't you just diet, my friend died from gastric bypass, blah blah blah". Defended myself for like 30 minutes, what a pain. I feel sorry for you guys who have gossipy work environments.

I'm never telling anybody outside my family (and boss).

You don't have to tell. You really don't. You can tell them what you are doing to lose the weight but you don't have to mention the surgery. It is surprising how some people feel that surgery is the easy way to lose lbs. They obviously have no clue. And who needs that kind of dialogue in their lives? As they notice that you're not eating the birthday cake, they'll understand that you have a commitment to lose weight and get healthy and they will respect you more if they have no idea about the surgery. That's just the nature of people.

On the other hand, it sounds to me like you are thinking seriously about telling them. It's a personal choice we all make. I didn't want to tell anyone because of all my past diet failures. Everyone seems to have an opinion when you're dieting and when you gain, they still have an opinion or at least that look that tells you that they're thinking critical thoughts. But if that sort of thing doesn't bother you and you are normally an open book, tell them. No matter what they say or think, they can only make you feel bad and defensive if you let them.

Yeah, I know. I really don't want to tell, I just don't want to lie. Like you said, they have seen my past failures too so, they will want to know, or at least be thinking, what's different this time? I'm already being questioned and getting 'advice' about my diet and I just want to say "shut up about it already". We are a close knit group and I know their intentions are good but, what I'm saying, I guess, is that I just can't get over the feeling that I'm being deceptive. If they would just say, 'Way to go!' or "Lookin' good!" and let it be.....................

I haven't read through the replies so forgive me if I am just repeating something lol. I don't work but my husband does and he has VSG also. He works with a small close knit staff of 7 people in his office. He pretty much told everyone, which I was surprised about because I don't know if I could have done the same in his situation. I mean, I do tell everyone who asks, but not if they don't ask. So anyway... his input is that it has been very helpful. He is able to eat his frequent small meals at his desk, have Water constantly, take walk breaks, etc and take better care of himself overall because everyone knows his situation. They have been supportive. He had to take time off for pre-op as well as post op appointments too, so this has been important for him to have their support. They also permit him on business trips to get a room with a fridge and do a small grocery store run.

hi after my banding I told everyone even strangers.lol I was so proud of myself and how the band had helped me. After having my band removed I gained every lb back and feel like a failure. I had the band for a reason in the first place right.

So I'm having the sleeve in Nov and apart from 1 or 2 people I'm keeping this to myself.

I'll just tell people I'm following my lapband lifestyle with great disapline and As I found out before nobody's really interested in how much i eat.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches