Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve question

I was banded 4/08 and lost about 60 pounds. I have gained about 20 of those pounds back. I started having problems with the band 9/09. I have terrible reflux and I was filled and unfilled constantly. My reflux has gotten so bad that they can't tighten the band anymore because even the smallest fill causes me to be unable to tolerate eating.

I am scheduled to have the sleeve on 8/30/10. I am really nervous about it for some reason and I don't want to have "buyer's remorse". If I am going to have the same kind of problems with the sleeve as I did with the band then what is the point?

Any suggestions?

I live in San Antonio, Tx. Anyone else live here and getting their sleeve about the same time?

Thanks.

Sounds like my story, only I am getting "fixed" on Thursday. Our stories fill this forum and I've TRIED to find someone on here, Obesity Help, and VerticalSleeveTalk.com that regret having the Sleeve after getting that hellish band out and I haven't found NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON. That says a lot. Even within a month or two of being banded people were having problems. I was banded in 2005 at the height of the Lap Band Mania and I have a dinosaur band. Most of the folks I know of who were banded around the same time as I have a Sleeve now and if not, then they did RNY.

I originally lost 140 pounds with the Lap Band. Started having band problems and had it emptied because I couldn't swallow my own saliva and I was tired of playing the fill/unfill, fill/unfill game. I've been primarily on liquids for the past 6 months with an EMPTY band! The sad part, I am back up to 220 still about 80 pounds smaller than when I was banded, so I am a Lap Band Success story!! lmfao.....NOT!

I did a search for Lap Band Suit and lawyers are starting to appear. I think eventually there will be a class action suit against them for what they did to our bodies. I have a weaken esophagus which I feel is a lot more common than what they acknowledge.

Take care!

Thanks for sharing your story, Carrie. Are you having your surgery this week on Thursday? I will be thinking about you.

Hi Everyone!

Been following your stories here. I went from Band to sleeve on 24th August 2010 - 2 days before you Carrie. Feeling good, just so scared not to get to goal with this and am doing my best to be compliant.

Could never be compliant with my band, could never keep anything down long enough. Don't miss it one bit!

I have a lap band and it is slipping and I need it removed. My doc is talking to me about the sleeve and. I am only about twenty found heavier then I should be. Here is my question. Is there anyone out there that could talk to me about going from one to the other that really liked their band. I could get a new band put back in or have the sleeve and I am not sure what to so.

I have a lap band and it is slipping and I need it removed. My doc is talking to me about the sleeve and. I am only about twenty found heavier then I should be. Here is my question. Is there anyone out there that could talk to me about going from one to the other that really liked their band. I could get a new band put back in or have the sleeve and I am not sure what to so.

this is a very difficult decision. i loved my band and would have kept the band if it was an option for me (severe complications) you really need to do your research, search pubmed for complications to both surgeries, take your complications and how long you had your band into consideration. keep researching and don't do anything till you have decided....good luck

Mila

I am in the same situation, except my band never really worked. I was hoping to get it fixed. My doctor gave some great perspective on the sleeve. He asked me if I wanted to be dealing with fills the rest of my life and said that most with a band will have a complication at some point that requires surgery. The statistics prove it as the long term studies are coming out. I am scared to have surgery again, but I am not happy living with a broken band anymore. I am sick of drinking barium and being poked with a needle!

Sharilynn, the research I did pointed to the fact that once you have a band problem it tends to repeat. There are people here that had a second band surgery only to have the new one do the same as the old. There are people on OH that have had multiple band corrective surgeries and the same problem comes back again and again.

That is why I switched to the sleeve, I knew once the band went south it was more likely to do it again.

Good luck!

I was banded 4/08 and lost about 60 pounds. I have gained about 20 of those pounds back. I started having problems with the band 9/09. I have terrible reflux and I was filled and unfilled constantly. My reflux has gotten so bad that they can't tighten the band anymore because even the smallest fill causes me to be unable to tolerate eating.

I am scheduled to have the sleeve on 8/30/10. I am really nervous about it for some reason and I don't want to have "buyer's remorse". If I am going to have the same kind of problems with the sleeve as I did with the band then what is the point?

Any suggestions?

I live in San Antonio, Tx. Anyone else live here and getting their sleeve about the same time

Thanks.

I live in san antonio and i plan to get the sleeve OR bypass but still dont watch one. I have a BMI 43 and weight 263 do you have a recommend one. i been reaching both