Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beggers....Politically Correct?

I am a high school teacher. I NEED things for my classes next year.

I teach technology on PII, Windows 98, 128mb, old Dell computers. I have one video camera and one scanner.

Also teach ART I, II, and III with a $400.00 budget. YIKES!!!

I am considering running an ad in the local newspaper asking for donations in exchange for tax receipts from the school. Don't think my district would approve (because they would be put on the spot), but they won't fund my classes either.

I have applied for all of the grants I know about, and have not heard back from them.

What would you do?

What school district are you in? You should have XP machines for teaching Technology!

You think???? I can not even use the text books released this year because of the programs they require. Really prefer not to say the district name, just know it is small and poor.

I understand small and poor districts! We moved from a small and poor district to a large and rich one when my girls were in High School. I am appalled at the differences and disadvantages.

Do you know someone who specializes in Grant writing for technology? Our small and poor district had a very good grant writer (also superindent) who got a large Grant for technology. The school was falling done from age and neglect, but they had the latest in computers!

I would contact any of your local churches, explaining what it is you are raising money for. And also get the kids involved, and throw some fund raisers!! They would be so proud to get the stuff for the school. Also, I currently work for MSFT, and DH used to work for them. When it comes time for the software purchase, let me know. I can get you a wicked price on it. We will get ya all set up in that dept. :P Unfortunately I can't help with the hardware. But you can also go to your local best buy and make a plea to them. Large companies like that always are looking for a feel good charitable story that puts them in the lime light. :scared: These things should get you set up for next year pretty easy. I think a well written proposal and a few motivated kids can get you just about anything you need from the school.

For hardware (if you can't get it donated) I recommend newegg.com (if you can build your own machine). They've got good prices on the components and shipping is fast and cheap. I live in California, where they are based, and if I place an order before 3pm, I receive it the next day, even though I paid for 3 day shipping.

I could talk my fiance into putting together lists of components if you wanted to go that way.

Other than that, I would consider fund raisers before putting the add in the paper. I think people are more willing to give money if they get *something* even if it's a car wash. It's really amazing to me that in this time where most jobs use a computer of some sorts, schools wont put money toward technology, and I've always hated how the arts have been treated.

Sell one of the kids on ebay.

Seriously though - are there any rules imposed by the school about what you can/cannot do? Could you secure the services of a disinterested grant writer, or would the school require you use "theirs"? Grants are not all that hard to get. When I worked at a non-profit I wrote for & received a $5,000 grant without having any clue what I was doing. I think the trick is finding which grants are out there, and any sizeable library should have resources for that.

See if you can get in cahoots with a local college's art department. They're not going to want to share budget, of course, but you might be able to get ahold of some of their older supplies as they're replacing them each year, and you might even be able to get some creative synergy (I hate that word) going to where they'll come and help you out during class. My high school did this for art and English classes, and both times the college provided the supplies.

How about an auction? Have your kids paint pictures, and then auction them off, or hold a craft sale with things your children have made. If you tried hard enough, you should be able to get stores to donate money for supplies for these things.

As for technology, a friend of ours is an independent technology consultant for local schools -- their non-staff IT guy. I am always giving him things that my work is discarding, which he in turn gives to the schools. So since you probably don't have that same type of worker - maybe call large corporations nearby (they throw great things away all the time) and see if they're getting rid of any computers or equipment. Even if it's not something you need for your class, it's something you could sell.

You wouldn't believe the things large companies just throw away. My work just put about 50 21" flat screen monitors up for grab because they bought a round of 24s to replace them. We have entire storage rooms full of the "old" 17" CRTs because now everyone has the flat ones. Our package deal with our laptop provider includes 500 MB memory sticks, but the first thing our IT dept does is tear out the 500s and put in 1 meg sticks, so all of those 500 meg sticks go into the trash. There are BOXES of them laying around. We just dumped over 150 tower PCs, and over 200 PC stands. Everywhere I've worked has done this, so I know the stuff is out there - you just need to find it. Look on the F500 list and see if any of those companies have service sites or HQ in your area, then give 'em a call.

I see you are in Tx; so am I. What is your district doing with the money that the big and rich districts are sending to the small and poor districts in the way of equalization? You might want to ask around. I teach in one of the "rich" districts, and believe me, they are not real excited about funding art programs, either. They are, however, excited about funding superintendant salaries...to the tune of over 300,000. Have you ever checked out the salaries of your top dogs?

Oh, I've been teaching for 29 years. It sure has changed.

I hope you find some way of getting what you need...I think art is very important. I'd just sneak stuff in myself...and wouldn't worry one bit about political correctness!

I have beat the pavement to stores around the area. Largest city is Dallas and it is about 50 miles away. Guess I will send out letters this summer. Seems that the rich districts OVERPAID our district a million dollars, which we already spent, and when the auditors found the error we had to give it back. OUCH! It did not hurt the Superintendents salary, but they cut teaching staff and budgets. But in their defense they did cut administrative positions too.

I have resorted to free Ecycle in my area to beg for things already. That little online community (thru Yahoo groups) has been very helpful.

We have to do fundraisers for everything. Prom, graduation, any trips they go on, sports, etc. Our parents are tapped out.

Honestly Wheetsin... speak with someone in your company. If nothing else their discards could help a district in your area and get them a tax break. (and if you are anywhere close to Dallas... let me know.) Flat screens would be awesome...

I need 20 good computers. If I was really wishing I would get 50 for both the labs on campus. And I would get a color printer, and a few more scanners... oh to dream!

And for Art, I would get a kiln and a throwing wheel and clay, and paint!!! Heck, I would be happy with proper drawing pencils and high quality paper.

It is really sad that schools operate this way. We are expected to produce a product... you know educated students... but we are not given the tools we need to do it. But I have been informed that my subject areas are not as important as the "core" areas, so I should not expect much.

F500 companies... look out... And please keep ISD's in mind if things come up. We can always use good things.

Thanks all. I checked on the Gates Foundation website, and we do not qualify for the programs they have open at this time. Will have to check back often.

Also found about 10 F500 companies in my area, so I will be writing them letters. One even has a very specific grant program for the arts, so I will cross my fingers so to speak.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I really appreciate them.

I work for a company out of Knoxville TN (I'm in KY but my company is in TN) that participates in a program called "Technology for Success". We take donated computers from local companies that are upgrading and refurbuish them and donate them to schools.

Here's a link if you are in the East TN area or if you would like more information.

http://www.discoveret.org/tfs/

I see that you are not in East TN now after re-reading this post. I would contact local Hardware and Software companies to see if any of their clients have extra or old PC's. Show them our website and tell them we are a computer hardward software company that does this on the side to assist the schools. Maybe one of them would be willing to head a project like ours.

Cashley; that looks like a great program. I wish I could find one like that in my area. Maybe my classes should start a program like that.

You know, a fundraiser does not have to just tap the parents. For prom and stuff...yeah. But for supplies and teaching tool, get these kids together with some proposals and dress em up nice and start hitting the local companies. Even $100 here and $50 there can add up to a lot. That and you might find some of them willing to donate other things, like their old hardware. And local art stores will prolly be willing to donate supplies to you at cost. You travel around with a newspaper person and you have your self a certified human intrest story that companies would love to be a part of. It is big advertising for them.

there is a site for teacher's wishes, i am sorry, i do not know what the name is . you put your requests/wishes on the site. people/companies check the site and decide what to donate to who.:) i will try to find it---if i do, i will post it.