Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Questions Answer

I NEED SO HELP I AM SO CONFUESSED ABOUT WHAT I WANNA DO I AM 215 POUND AND 5'5 I KNOW THAT ALL I REALLY NEED TO LOSE IS ABOUT 70 POUNDS BUT IT SEEMS SO HARD SO I AM GOING TO GET ON THE BAND BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME TO GET LIPO-SCULTURE FRIST SO I GUESS WHAT I NEED IS SOME ADVISE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO . DID SOME ONE HAVE A SIMULR PROBLUM I JUST WANT EVERY BODYS OPINION THANKS IN ADVISE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME ...;)

Hello Julie: What does your dostor say? Unless you are self-pay, you may have difficulty getting insurance to pay for the lapband, unless you have co-mobities. (other severe health problems caused by being overweight). Good luck on your journey. Gabby

Hi Julie,

Gabby is right. If you're thinking about getting banded here in the U.S., chances are you'd have a very hard time finding a surgeon to do it. You're not heavy enough, unless you have significant health problems that weight loss will improve (co-morbidities). From what I hear, though, you sound like a good candidate for banding in Mexico or Europe, where their medical criteria are different.

One thing I will say, is that liposuction is NOT recommended as a method for significant weight loss. To take more than a relatively small amount of fat from highly targeted areas can cause SEVERE bleeding. I sure hope you didn't hear that recommendation from any medical people!! ;)

Good luck with your research. :eek:

I wish you luck. I am in the same situation. I am 220 pounds. I was turned down last year because I am not heavy enough. I am now going through sleep studies for sleep apena. That is considered co morbid. I am hoping to be able to get my surgery through my insurance soon.

I know how you feel, I have tried every diet in the world. I will go down to 185 or so and gain it back. Diets stop working and I get depressed about it and start eating again.

I would not have Lipo though, cause if you then lose the weight you could need more.

I have choosen this surgery because of its slow weight lose, and other benefits, I believe it is much more healthy.

Alexandra - Looks like you are doing great. I remember when you were going in the the surgery. - Are the results still about the same as lst year? And is the surgery still less then 1% chance of death?

Guest toni

I AM CURRENTLY 250LBS AND I AM WONDERING IF DURING MY CONSULTATION IF THE DOCTOR WILL SAY THAT I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS PROCEDURE OR WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS IN THIS PHASE?

Hi Julie,

Most surgeons will do it if your BMI is between 35-40 and you have one or more of the co-morbities here is a chart from thebandsters.com(according to their chart your BMI is between 36-38):

BMI Health risk based solely on BMI Risk adjusted for presence of associated health-risk factors Should surgery be considered? Match numbers of questions with numbers after BMI for answers:

1. Health risk based solely on BMI

2. Risk adjusted for presence of associated health-risk factors

3. Should surgery be considered?

BMI is < 25, 1. Minimal 2. Low 3. No

25 < 27 1. Low 2. Moderate 3. No

27 < 30 1. Moderate 2. High 3. No

30 < 35 1. High 2. Very High 3. No

35 < 40 1. Very High 2. Extremely High 3. Yes with associated risk factors

> 40 1. Extremely High 2. Extremely High 3. Yes

Co-Morbid Diseases(risk factors)

*sleep apnea

*Gallstones

*Hypertension and pulmonary dysfunction

*Heart and coronary artery disease

*Diabetes

*Back pain and pain in weight carrying joints

There is a lot of information on this website, check it out!! My thought on liposuction is the same as Alexandra's, it should be done after weight loss to take care of the areas resistant to the weight loss like saddle bags, tummy bulge, buttock excess, etc. Make sure to do your research, the internet and support groups have tons of info. Hope this helps!!;)

Originally posted by momhappe1

Are the results still about the same as lst year? And is the surgery still less then 1% chance of death?

I don't really watch the statistics or science reports on banding, so maybe someone can point you in the direction of some published results. I do know there have been some recently published articles that were more favorable about banding than those that had come out earlier. I'm certain that inamed.com would have links or entire articles that can answer these questions authoritatively.