Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded twice- enough already!!

Greetings everyone! I just wanted to share my experience. I was banded first time in 2006 with a 4cc band. Everything went well aside from sliming, food getting stuck & vomiting. I figured this was just the price to pay to finally be able to lose weight once & for all. I lost 50 lbs (not quite goal) but I was so happy to lose weight successfully. At my lowest weight I started having horrible reflux at night. I would wake up choking on burning stomach acid (sorry for the gross factor). It was not only painful, but scary. Apparently my band had slipped. From what I understand this is common for the 4cc band. So the process of removal of Fluid over months began until I had no restriction. The hope was the the band would correct itself which it did not. The decision was a new band. I got a 10cc band a little over a year ago and have since gained all of my weight back!!! I can't begin to tell you how discouraging this has been. I know that it isn't totally the band to blame because as my disappointment in my new band grew

I stopped exercising and ate "bad" foods. Since may 2009 I have had several fills. At one point I was too restricted and could barely keep anything down. For some reason I cannot find the sweet spot with this new band like I did with the old one. I go in for yet another fill and I am going to talk to dr. about a sleeve. My insurance has been very good about everything so far, but we know how insurance companies are ;0. I know that there isn't a perfect surgery, but from what I can tell the sleeve offers the benefits of a band yet without complications of bypass (which I would never consider). Thanks for listening!!:thumbup:

Welcome and best wishes with the insurance approval. I'll tell ya the sleeve is fabulous. NO sliming, puking, good foods getting stuck constantly, and the gammet of other issues that are hosted by the band.

The sleeve works like the band is supposed to, and the restriction is immediately, and forever. It's not a magic pill, but 10000 times better than the crapband. I've had one as well, and was so glad to be able to revise to VSG.

The reason I had my band removed was because I got tired of that choking and throwing up in my sleep in no time at all.

The band sucks. There is no other way to put it. Some doctors are finally refusing to do band surgery. In my opinion, the band should be removed from the market because it damages the stomach.

My regular doctor said the sleeve is the cadilac of WLS and he believes some day, that will be the only WLS that surgeons will do.

That is really good to hear. I do have a question though. I was banded in 2006 and have lost 120 lbs. The problem is that the band had slipped and now my stomach is obstructed according to the new surgeon I see. He wants to remove the band and then do the sleeve. I'm at 135 lbs. and am 5'8". I don't want to lose more weight or re-gain. Sounds like the sleeve would be the solution if I do everything that's required?

:frown1:

BMaloy - you should do fine with a revision to the sleeve even at your goal weight. You will most likely lose weight during your liquids only phase post-op, but should be able to put it back on it you want to once you can eat whatever you want. My BMI was pretty low when I had my revision. My doc just made me sign a form acknowledging this and that I realized I might not lose tons of weight. That was fine with me and I'm now at goal.

Susan42, I wish you nothing but the best. Life with the band can be horrible, as many of us know. I was a self-pay for it and the sleeve, and believe me, it has all been worth every penny to now be sleeved. Best wishes on the insurance approval!

Good luck! The trouble with the 4cc band (which I have, working perfectly) is that there IS a lot of slippage with it. But its fantastic for finding quick restriction and not needing constant fills. The newer larger capacity bands dont slip as often but they're often really really difficult to adjust well.

I wouldnt remove my band just because, it has and IS serving me very very well. But I sure want to be ready to move and know exactly what I'm doing if and when that day comes. I've often wondered about the weight loss thing though with a revision surgery, I'd look like a walking skeleton if I dropped much weight in a revision surgery!