Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for VSG on the 14th, but now I wonder if I shouldn't look into plication? Anyone have any experience? I think it's just pre surgery jitters, but then again, if this proceedure is less invasive should it be something to look into?

I just ran accross this:

The Latest Innovation in Weight Loss Surgery

Hospital Angeles Tijuana is proud to announce that it is home to the newest advancement in weight loss surgery-Gastric Sleeve Plication. The procedure is currently performed in limited clinical trial in the United States, and at Hospital Angeles Tijuana, where gastroenterologist surgeon Dr. Lopez Corvala proctors (trains) US surgeons in the plication suturing technique that many bariatric surgeons are calling the most exciting advancement in weight loss surgery since adjustable gastric banding.

Early patient data demonstrate weight loss results similar to gastric bypass with no reports of complications. The procedure, best understood as an evolution of the more familiar sleeve gastrectomy surgery, offers weight loss surgery patients a number of very critical benefits:

A less invasive evolution of the gastric sleeve procedure, plication is an ambulatory procedure ? no surgical drains, only 2 nights total hospital stay!

No loss of stomach tissue - the 'sleeve' is created by suturing rather than removal (preserving nutrient absorption capability)

No devices - no staples, no bands, no fills

Reduced risk of early or late complications

No complication from leaks or bleeding at the staple line (as compared to gastric sleeve)

Does not impair patient dietary habits

Early data (patients at 6-12 months post procedure) indicate resultant weight loss is comparable to gastric bypass

I think it's a great surgery for people that are considered "lightweights" or do not have a lot of food demons/issues. But, for me, I've experienced firsthand the damage that can be done to stomach tissue by scar tissue. I've read that the surgery may be reversible, but what kind of shape is the stomach going to be in after being folded onto itself and sutured for how many ever years.

Since there is no long term data on later complications, can we really be sure that it is less invasive? Everyone touts the band as the least invasive, but look at the long term complications that we see 2-8 years out.

It's just my thought process. I've read the stats, and I think it's promising just like the VSG was 7ish years ago. For me, and just for me, I wanted resolution, I wanted permanent solution, and I was willing to take the bigger risk with the VSG when I chose to revise from the band.

Thanks for this. I think I'm getting pre-op jitters. I am so ready to make a change. I had waited to have WLS because I wasn't into RNY due to what I saw with my friends that had the surgery, they are on nutritional supplements forever. And I wasn't wanting the band, for the foreign object/maintenance thing.

I am scheduled to have a VSG on the 14th with Dr. Aceves. I know it's the right thing to do, it's just that I am getting anxious and worried, and scared, and excited....you know the drill....

Thanks for the reply.

I am scheduled for VSG on the 14th, but now I wonder if I shouldn't look into plication? Anyone have any experience? I think it's just pre surgery jitters, but then again, if this proceedure is less invasive should it be something to look into?

I just ran accross this:

The Latest Innovation in Weight Loss Surgery

Hospital Angeles Tijuana is proud to announce that it is home to the newest advancement in weight loss surgery-Gastric Sleeve Plication. The procedure is currently performed in limited clinical trial in the United States, and at Hospital Angeles Tijuana, where gastroenterologist surgeon Dr. Lopez Corvala proctors (trains) US surgeons in the plication suturing technique that many bariatric surgeons are calling the most exciting advancement in weight loss surgery since adjustable gastric banding.

Early patient data demonstrate weight loss results similar to gastric bypass with no reports of complications. The procedure, best understood as an evolution of the more familiar sleeve gastrectomy surgery, offers weight loss surgery patients a number of very critical benefits:

A less invasive evolution of the gastric sleeve procedure, plication is an ambulatory procedure ? no surgical drains, only 2 nights total hospital stay!

No loss of stomach tissue - the 'sleeve' is created by suturing rather than removal (preserving nutrient absorption capability)

No devices - no staples, no bands, no fills

Reduced risk of early or late complications

No complication from leaks or bleeding at the staple line (as compared to gastric sleeve)

Does not impair patient dietary habits

Early data (patients at 6-12 months post procedure) indicate resultant weight loss is comparable to gastric bypass

Hi there just was wondering how your weight loss is going can you give me a update?

Having a real hard time deciding between the two procedures. I really want to make the right choice and I'm not sure what that is? My BMI is 39.5. I'm very interested in knowing what and how others are doing with the plication procedure?? Is the weight loss as significant as with VSG??:thumbup: Need help please! Also, I'm considering Dr. Corvala (Hospital Angeles, TJ, Dr. Ortiz(Obesity Control Center, TJ) and Dr.Jose Rodriguez, INT in TJ MX and Star Medica in Juarez) and possibly Dr. Aceves. Who's the best at which procedure??

lguidry, I can't say much about most of the Dr.'s. I know that for Plication, I would hands down from your list go with Dr. Corvala. He was involved in the introduction of the surgery to Mexico and is a proctor (he teaches the procedure) to Mexican and American surgeons. I had Plication with Dr. Corvala. I was actually scheduled for VSG with Aceves, but my family and then I couldn't get past the "fear" of losing 85% of my stomach. The irrational fears and what if I need stomach tissue sometime in the future set in, and I had started research on VSP. My starting BMI was 49. It's been 8 weeks and I have lost 35 lbs. I eat everything I feel like eating, just smaller meals and I do try to get Protein in first....I did protein first prior to surgery I was a volume eater of a pretty clean diet.... I eat around 800 calories a day, there are days when I hit 1000 calories and days I only eat around 600, depends on the day, how much exercise I get in and how dense the foods I eat are. Steak/Chicken tend to keep me full and satisfied longer than beans/soup for example. I work out hard, I did that before surgery, I have always been very athletic and muscular, I lift weights, and triathlon train.... I am not hungry, or at least am not hungry with the anxiety I had before surgery and I actually get full (a feeling I don't think I ever had).... I loved Dr. Corvala and the hospital. It was clean, I felt pampered and taken care of. I would recommend him as a bariatric surgeon regardless of the procedure you choose. I know Dr. Aceves is a master as well and a proctor of the VSG. It is a touch choice. In the end it is a matter of what you can get comfortable with. For me it was, though I didn't go into this with thoughts of reversing. I was able to get more comfortable with getting restriction with VSP and sutures and less long term data, than with losing 85% of my stomach and knowing that it was a very very final procedure. It is a total mind boggling decision.. but I can tell you I am so happy I made the choice I made, I recovered fairly quickly (not a walk in the park, but very manageable), I eat with my husband and enjoy all the things we used to enjoy eating, just much less. Take care and keep us posted on your decision. CK

You rock!! Thanks for posting:) Keep posting, as I want to follow your progress!! Congrats on your weight loss!!

Having a real hard time deciding between the two procedures. I really want to make the right choice and I'm not sure what that is? My BMI is 39.5. I'm very interested in knowing what and how others are doing with the plication procedure?? Is the weight loss as significant as with VSG??:001_smile: Need help please! Also, I'm considering Dr. Corvala (Hospital Angeles, TJ, Dr. Ortiz(Obesity Control Center, TJ) and Dr.Jose Rodriguez, INT in TJ MX and Star Medica in Juarez) and possibly Dr. Aceves. Who's the best at which procedure??

Hi Iguidry. I can only speak for myself as to why I chose the plication over the VSG. It was hard for me to live with the fact that I would be losing 85% of my stomach. I was also afraid of having a leak. Once I started researching the plication, I made my decision right away without hesitation. It has the same EWL as VSG and it's safer.

You have to write down what's important to you, maybe do a pros and cons list. Plication pros for me were: Safer, great weight loss, less time on a liquid diet, faster healing. Cons: Cannot eat large meals. Oh wait a minute. I guess that could be a pro also. VSG pros: Great weight loss. Cons: The whole pro/con thing with not being able to eat large meals and staples. There is also the debate on grhelin, but Dr. Watkins cleared that up in his latest post.

My BMI was 36, and I have lost 24 pounds. My BMI is now 31.9.

By the way, I don't know anything about the other doctors you mentioned, but I think Dr. Watkins is amazing and has great followup care.

Hi Iguidry. I can only speak for myself as to why I chose the plication over the VSG. It was hard for me to live with the fact that I would be losing 85% of my stomach. I was also afraid of having a leak. Once I started researching the plication, I made my decision right away without hesitation. It has the same EWL as VSG and it's safer.

You have to write down what's important to you, maybe do a pros and cons list. Plication pros for me were: Safer, great weight loss, less time on a liquid diet, faster healing. Cons: Cannot eat large meals. Oh wait a minute. I guess that could be a pro also. VSG pros: Great weight loss. Cons: The whole pro/con thing with not being able to eat large meals and staples. There is also the debate on grhelin, but Dr. Watkins cleared that up in his latest post.

My BMI was 36, and I have lost 24 pounds. My BMI is now 31.9.

By the way, I don't know anything about the other doctors you mentioned, but I think Dr. Watkins is amazing and has great followup care.

Congrats on the WL!!! Thanks so much for the post. I'm definitely leaning to the plication especially now knowing that you were able to have such good results with a BMI of 36. My BMI is 39.5 so I should be able to have results simular to yours;) YEAH!!!

Just saw this from another post...You plication guys take care!

Hello this the husband to jg, I just wanted to fill everyone in on her behalf, she is currently in a critical state in ICU. She had to have an emergency surgery because there was a hole in her stomach leaking out food. She is very sick and heavily sedated and is now struggling to save her life. The surgeon here had to remove what he described was a dead part of her stomach. I am praying that she makes it

through.

Her worried and loving husband.

Just saw this from another post...You plication guys take care!

Oh my gosh!! that is terrible!!

Is it because of the surgery? DId she have the plication?

My prayers are with her

Here is the rest of the thread... She had plication, got chest pains and went to the ER.. Don't really know the rest of the story yet, hope she or her husband can post soon and let us know how she is. Prayers and best wishes everybody!

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/9280-just-had-plication-surgery-and-need-urgent-help-with-pain/