Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months Banded . . . now looking elsewhere

Hi All,

I'm new here, banded in Jan 2010 and am considering a revision. Dr Ortiz in TJ did my band earlier this year. I've lost 20 lbs so far - 10 probably within the first week and the other 10 over the last 5 months. I also PB often, have had several fills, am up to 10.2 cc in my 11 cc band, feel wide open many days, have chest pain occasionally when I eat, etc, etc.

But more than anything, I'm frustrated that I'm not losing!!!!!

I follow the band rules, but still nothing. I'm going back to the OCC this week to get everything checked out to make sure I don't have an enlarged pouch or erosion or leaking or any of the other band issues. Maybe I'm just not at my sweet spot - but how can that be when I can't eat half of a ground beef patty one minute, but then later that day, I can eat a sandwich?

Again, just frustrated.

I'm seriously considering a revision, but also feeling very down about my band decision in the first place:sad0:

I'm open to as much info on doctors as possible at this point, as I'm not clear on how experience Dr Ortiz is with the sleeve.

thanks for listening

Butterfly - there are a number of folks on here who have had the band to sleeve revision. I am sure one of them will chime in. I have just had the sleeve and have had no problems at all and am losing great. The one thing that I do know from reading posts is that you want to have someone who has lots of experience with doing revisions since they are harder. I do know that Dr Aceves is supposed to have experience with revisions.

Good luck.

Frankie

VSG 3/22/10

I've had the band for about a year and a half, and I right back to where I started weight-wise, BMI-wise, and health problems still afflict me. I, like you, have followed everything I'm supposed to follow, so why should I be back up to my original stats? I'm going to get a revision to sleeve in a couple of months (I'm set for 20 Sept, but there's an opening for 23 August, so I'll move it up earlier). All I can say is, call your doctor right away and get a revision. I'm just mad that I waited so long to get mine.

Please check out Dr. Almanza in TJ, Mexico...they are wonderful there. Went with my BFF and was sleeved on June 10, then took my husband back on July 15. I have gone from 292 to 239 since my sugery. I was so impressed with everyone in Jerusalem Hospital. Friend me if you want to chat!

I hear ya! I have suffered for 3 yrs with a full band and no restriction -- then pain started -- it's a blessing and a curse. I am getting a revision next month

Revisioner here! I'm working ASAP to have this "thing" removed and replacing it with what I should have gotten in the first place (had I known about it at the time).

I am going to Dr. C, LapSF. The only thing I regret now is waiting and waiting to get a revision to the point I'm only a few pounds down from surgery day. However, I did lose 50 lbs pre-band and have been able to keep that off. Yay!!!

Good luck with your decision. Let us know how you're doing.

Hi,

I've been banded 7 mos (Dec 19, 2010). I have only lost about 10 lbs. Yesterday I got a fill ( 9.cc in my 14. band). It has been a very slow journey & discouraging. The first month after surgery- no fill of course. Then each month-visit after that very small fills with hardley any restriction. Last month (July 2010) was the 1st time I felt any noticable restriction. I'm Diabetic, on a high dose of insulin. My bariatric doctor says that this could be causing me to not lose weight??

My fill was yesterday and I'm at 9.1 cc in my 14. band. So, we'll see. I am finally back at the gym after a 3 month break.

Yesterday at the visit, we discussed possible gastric sleeve.....& revising my band. I hate to have another surgery so soon. I wish I would have had the gastrin sleeve in the 1st place.

To anyone.....let me know what u think :biggrin0:

All I can say is that life is 1000x easier with the sleeve, and I can't recommend it enough. I had my band for almost 4yrs and only lost weight the first 4 months after I had it. Then it was just "working" to get restriction without being too tight and not being able to eat at all. SO frustrating!!!

Having the sleeve takes all the "work" out of it. You just eat healthy foods in smaller quantities, you have less hunger, and you lose weight. I'm finally at my goal weight so I'm eating whatever carbs I want so I that I don't lose any more. With the band there were so many fresh fruits and veggies that just wouldn't "go down", now I can eat them and I love it!

I know if you've only had the band a short time you might want to try a little longer to make it work. But there are many people that regret taking so long to get revised, so if you can do the VSG I whole-heartedly believe you'll be much happier.

While I am a LB'r that is considering revision surgery, I do think that contemplating a revision so early is a bit premature. However, that is only my opinion. If you got banded in Mexico, who does your fills in the US?

i was able to be seen by the Bariatric unit at KAiser, although they told me they wouldn't give me fills, etc since I was not obese enough when I had my initial surgery. They also confirmed that I probably had a leak. They suggested that I continue to monitor what I eat, exercise, etc. Then, if I'm not losing, they can do an endoscopy (I'm not sure if that's what its called).

I think I can get Kaiser to take my band out, but then I will need to self pay for the sleeve.

But, it would be worth it if I could lose the weight. I've been stuck at 182 for the past few months.