Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did some research...here are concerns

1. 500 calorie a day diet...how and why? That is really low.

2. Still can't drink Water with meals.

3. New small stomach can stretch like the band pouch.

4. Can still have same reactions as band...gagging, fullness but still hungry.

5. Isn't the lack of Ghrelin supposed to curb appetite?

6. Here's a new one...just read some people have this problem...hair loss.

OK someone help me out here...I don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire. :thumbup: I would want this to be better than banding and work over a long period of time. And I want to be able to dine out in comfort. I want to drop the weight and keep it off, in comfort. My exercise regime currently is aerobics with weights, bowling, and I am picking up swimming. Thanks in advance for all responses. :o

Edited by CherBee

Hi, I haven't been revised yet but if you go look at the responses to my previous posts you'll get a lot of answers to these questions.

1. 500 cal??? Maybe in the beginning but not forever.

2. Nope - not recommended with any surgery - its just one of the things you need to accept

3. The part of the stomach left is very muscular and less likely to stretch (unless you really push it)

4. I can't attest to that as I'm not revised yet

5. For some the reduced Ghrelin does suppress appetite

6. hair loss is common after general anesthesia and if you are low on Protein so expect some around 3 months post op (happened with the band to) as long as you keep your Protein up though it should grow back and be fine.

Good luck!

I haven't had any other WL surgery except for the sleeve so I'll answer from my sleeve experience (July 15 I'll be 10 months out)...

1. 500 calorie a day diet...how and why? Why, because your stomach is a tiny 3-4 oz tube, early out it is in the healing stages and tender/swollen, it's hard to get more than 2-3 oz of anything in there. I agree 500 calories is low, some days I couldn't even get in 500 cals. and it was scary. For the first couple of weeks staying hydrated will be the most important thing even more important than getting in the recommended Protein.

2. Still can't drink Water with meals. No you should not. Some people will take a tiny sip to maybe moisten what's in the mouth, like eating a Soup with some substance besides plain broth. But generally you will need the food to go down and settle a bit before taking in liquid beverages, or Water. It was not too difficult for me to get used to--once you learn that it no longer feels natural.

3. New small stomach can stretch like the band pouch. I WISH!! My sleeve is a 40f bougie and I feel like it will never stretch, in fact if I take a bite too much of especially any dense Protein like steak, ground beef, or chicken, etc. it sometimes feels like my esophagus will burst before anything will stretch! I took 2 bites of a Hemp seeded bagel with some tuna today at the beach and had some serious pain for 15 minutes I had to walk along the beach and tap my chest before it finally went down. If I would have tried to sip on water the water would have just come back up on me.

4. Can still have same reactions as band...gagging, fullness but still hungry. I don't know about the band, but I gagged for the first 3 months every morning when I brushed my teeth for some reason, (still happens occasionally). When I feel full I do not still feel hungry...I'm done eating.

5. Isn't the lack of Ghrelin supposed to curb appetite? Yes and it has curbed my appetite significantly.

6. Here's a new one...just read some people have this problem...hair loss. I took plenty of Biotin and other nutritionals but lost alot of hair around for a couple of months! It just came out sort of evenly all around and my thick hair got thin as a pin head...it has completely stopped falling out and I think it's growing back now because my thin medium length hair now appears to puff up and out (where the new Hair growth is coming in all over my head.

I'm 13 months out from my revision. I'll answer these questions/concerns with my experience only.

1. 500 calorie a day diet...how and why? That is really low. 600-800 calories per day was my guideline. It's optimal for weight loss in the beginning, and you can increase those calories as needed when you incorporate exercise and more activity.

2. Still can't drink Water with meals. It's really not that big of a deal. It pushes the food through, and you won't have satiety. It's the same when you have a regular stomach. If you drink with your meals, you'll not stay full. It's part of the reason we can fit more food in. I currently can sip with my meals. But, I broke the habit of drinking with my meals when I had the band. I don't miss drinking with my meals.

3. New small stomach can stretch like the band pouch. It does not stretch. The swelling from surgery does relax, and your stomach becomes acclimated to accepting food again. At 13 months out, I can eat the same amount that I could eat at 6-7 months out. My surgeon believes that my stomach is at maximum capacity. There is minimal stretching unlike the band or RNY pouch. The portion of the stomach that remains is mainly muscle.

If you eat too fast, or eat too much, yes you can still get the gagging, foaming, sliming. This is where you have to replace bad habits with good habits. Nothing is going to fix this when we alter our anatomy be it with a band or removing 80%+ stomach tissue.

Yes, it removes, or substantially decreases the physical hunger. That doesn't mean it cures head hunger, or keep you out of the fridge if you want to eat something. Again, it's more about changing bad habits. The sleeve can only do so much. But, if you want to suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake, the sleeve won't stop you.

It happens to a lot of patients that have any type of surgery. It's just not the sleeve. Band patients lose hair as well. RNY patients lose hair. I started shedding again after my gallbladder surgery this last February.

Here's an article that explains it scientifically. There is nothing you can do to stop, but you can help the regrowth by taking hair/nail/skin supplement such as Biotin. I chose to use Folicure extra care Shampoo that I picked up from Sally's beauty supply, it's also available on the internet. It's a small side effect that is totally worth it. I lost half my hair, but it's growing back in nicely, and I'd do it all again to be wearing my size 4 jeans. A little hairloss is totally worth the results I've had.

Telogen Effluvium Hair Loss

I've had amazing results with the sleeve, and lead a very normal, fully functioning social life. I drink, eat out, party, enjoy a healthy/balanced diet, and do not obsess over food. I do not experience physical hunger at all, and am maintaining for over 2 months now with a total loss of 141lbs with the VSG alone.

Best wishes in your research.

I'm 13 months out from my revision. I'll answer these questions/concerns with my experience only.

1. 500 calorie a day diet...how and why? That is really low. 600-800 calories per day was my guideline. It's optimal for weight loss in the beginning, and you can increase those calories as needed when you incorporate exercise and more activity.

2. Still can't drink Water with meals. It's really not that big of a deal. It pushes the food through, and you won't have satiety. It's the same when you have a regular stomach. If you drink with your meals, you'll not stay full. It's part of the reason we can fit more food in. I currently can sip with my meals. But, I broke the habit of drinking with my meals when I had the band. I don't miss drinking with my meals.

3. New small stomach can stretch like the band pouch. It does not stretch. The swelling from surgery does relax, and your stomach becomes acclimated to accepting food again. At 13 months out, I can eat the same amount that I could eat at 6-7 months out. My surgeon believes that my stomach is at maximum capacity. There is minimal stretching unlike the band or RNY pouch. The portion of the stomach that remains is mainly muscle.

If you eat too fast, or eat too much, yes you can still get the gagging, foaming, sliming. This is where you have to replace bad habits with good habits. Nothing is going to fix this when we alter our anatomy be it with a band or removing 80%+ stomach tissue.

Yes, it removes, or substantially decreases the physical hunger. That doesn't mean it cures head hunger, or keep you out of the fridge if you want to eat something. Again, it's more about changing bad habits. The sleeve can only do so much. But, if you want to suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake, the sleeve won't stop you.

It happens to a lot of patients that have any type of surgery. It's just not the sleeve. Band patients lose hair as well. RNY patients lose hair. I started shedding again after my gallbladder surgery this last February.

Here's an article that explains it scientifically. There is nothing you can do to stop, but you can help the regrowth by taking hair/nail/skin supplement such as Biotin. I chose to use Folicure extra care Shampoo that I picked up from Sally's beauty supply, it's also available on the internet. It's a small side effect that is totally worth it. I lost half my hair, but it's growing back in nicely, and I'd do it all again to be wearing my size 4 jeans. A little hairloss is totally worth the results I've had.

Telogen Effluvium Hair Loss

I've had amazing results with the sleeve, and lead a very normal, fully functioning social life. I drink, eat out, party, enjoy a healthy/balanced diet, and do not obsess over food. I do not experience physical hunger at all, and am maintaining for over 2 months now with a total loss of 141lbs with the VSG alone.

Best wishes in your research.

Thanks so much for your reply. So if I can get over the Hair loss hurdle and the no drink dilemma I might be able to do this. I want to lose weight once and for all. I want to wear a size 8 again. : )