Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I WISH I would feel less restriction already!

I WISH I would feel less restriction and I'm 9+ months out!!! I don't get what my problem is- Last night I ate small slices of steak, and after about 3 maybe 4 ounces I thought I was going to possibly rupture my esophagus-the pain was horrible and my mouth filled up with saliva like right before one is about to vomit. I was really shaken by the experience which lasted about 15 minutes then, thank God, subsided. Today, I could hardly eat even soft warm Cereal (had to throw out half of it) Later I had a teaspoon of tuna, followed by 2 tortilla chips, chewed well and then a Greek blueberry yogurt. Three quarters of the way through the yogurt I felt like my esophagus would explode and I stood up in pain. How much longer can I take this? I'm 10 lbs away from goal (135)-at this rate I'll keep losing weight!!! I'm so freaked out about this already. By now I would figure I'd be able to at LEAST feel comfortable eating small portions but instead even the small stuff is giving me pain. WHEN DOES It get BETTER? My bougie is a 40 for goodness sake!

I haven't been sleeved yet and this kind of news scares me. I'm so sorry you're in pain. Could it maybe be scar tissue? I am curious, both if the incidences you gave as examples, had you felt full yet when the pain happened? Maybe you were eating past your full point and didn't realize it? would warm compresses on your throat help?

I WISH I would feel less restriction and I'm 9+ months out!!! I don't get what my problem is- Last night I ate small slices of steak, and after about 3 maybe 4 ounces I thought I was going to possibly rupture my esophagus-the pain was horrible and my mouth filled up with saliva like right before one is about to vomit. I was really shaken by the experience which lasted about 15 minutes then, thank God, subsided. Today, I could hardly eat even soft warm Cereal (had to throw out half of it) Later I had a teaspoon of tuna, followed by 2 tortilla chips, chewed well and then a Greek blueberry yogurt. Three quarters of the way through the yogurt I felt like my esophagus would explode and I stood up in pain. How much longer can I take this? I'm 10 lbs away from goal (135)-at this rate I'll keep losing weight!!! I'm so freaked out about this already. By now I would figure I'd be able to at LEAST feel comfortable eating small portions but instead even the small stuff is giving me pain. WHEN DOES It get BETTER? My bougie is a 40 for goodness sake!

LanK, I can relate to you! My bougie is 32 and i'm 6 months out. . I have that kind of restriction too when i eat normal foods. . but man if i eat slider foods wow, is it ever good. . .so this past weekend i started back to my Protein shakes, jellos, Soups, Water, diet soda, etc. to try to get away from the carbs . . i feel so much better, but guess what? I gained 2 lbs WTF! :) I'm really hoping it was because of Water gain and not anything else. . .i will continue to do with the liquids cause they make me feel really good! and the best part is no pain, no slimming, no major bloating feeling. . .some folks say we rock the sleeve, i don't feel that way at all. . .

I haven't been sleeved yet and this kind of news scares me. I'm so sorry you're in pain. Could it maybe be scar tissue? I am curious, both if the incidences you gave as examples, had you felt full yet when the pain happened? Maybe you were eating past your full point and didn't realize it? would warm compresses on your throat help?

Your pre surgical concerns are important and thank you for showing concern for me. It could very well be scar tissue, I also had a hiatal hernia repaired when I had the sleeve gastrectomy surgery, so perhaps the uncomfortable restriction I often feel has something to do with that. I have scheduled another upper endoscopy early in July with a gastroenterologist who is very familiar with gastric bypass. He has my records from my surgeon. I'm hoping that the hiatal hernia did not reoccur or that I have any erroneous problems that are not easily diagnosed hence remedied.

Eating past my full point: Yes, when this happens I most certainly am eating past my full point, but that point seems to occur too soon...where I feel I am not getting appropriate nutrition. Feeling too full too soon freaks me out. I realize that I may be eating too fast since when I am on an empty stomach the sensation is like pre-sleeve so initially I may be taking in bigger bites and not chewing/eating slow enough. It's just that at almost 10 months out I would think I'd be past the tedious stage (it seems that the sleeve only slightly stretches if at all).

Hot compresses on my throat? No I have not ever tried that. I suppose that might be a good idea before eating, or maybe even during a "meal". Thanks for the suggestion.

LanK, I can relate to you! My bougie is 32 and i'm 6 months out. . I have that kind of restriction too when i eat normal foods. . but man if i eat slider foods wow, is it ever good. . .so this past weekend i started back to my Protein shakes, jellos, Soups, Water, diet soda, etc. to try to get away from the carbs . . i feel so much better, but guess what? I gained 2 lbs WTF! :001_unsure: I'm really hoping it was because of Water gain and not anything else. . .i will continue to do with the liquids cause they make me feel really good! and the best part is no pain, no slimming, no major bloating feeling. . .some folks say we rock the sleeve, i don't feel that way at all. . .

Right well "slider foods" had the same ill effect on me as I explained I munched on 2 tortilla (dorito like but organic) chips a teaspoon of tuna salad, and then a yogurt and I had to stop short, dump the rest of the yogurt, stand and sweat out the discomfort and pain for nearly 10 minutes. Those are "slider" foods so I really got freaked out. I read somewhere in a post from Tiff that on high humidity days she feels more restriction so I'm wondering if that may be a factor since the humidity has been very high round this part of the planet. But if that is the case then I ask WHY? What would high humidity have to do with increased restriction? Just leaves me a bit more freaked out. I mean what is going on inside of me?? Having a normal stomach I never really thought about what was going on on the inside...having a test tube size stomach my thoughts dwell on how things are working in there. Mind you there are days when eating goes relatively sooth and I feel a sense of well being but it's not stable and I am wondering if ever it will be! At this point I'm not "rocking" my sleeve but it sure the hell is rocking me!

Hi Lis,

You should go and see your doctor, maybe you have an ulcer or something?

Jane x

A small alcoholic drink will relax your stomach too. If thats all it is. I am not recommending this but I have noticed this happens.

Lis, I do struggle with tighter restriction on high humidity days. I don't know why it happens, but happened it with my band as well. It's not as bad as what you are describing or as bad as it was with my band, but it's an inconvenience. I live with it, but I'm not having painful issues. Usually, warm fluids cure my super tight sleeve days.

Have you had an endoscopy performed recently? I'm eating the same amounts quantity-wise as I was at 7-9 months out and this week I'm approaching my 13 month post-op mark.

I, too, wonder if you've got scar tissue around your esophagus, or around the top portion of your stomach that could be causing the pain.

To me, and this is my non-medical, lay brain thinking, but it sounds like you are having spasms. If I were in your shoes, and I know you are tired of dealing with doctors, but finding a gastro doc that can do some nerve testing, or other diagnostics to figure out what your esophagus does when you eat and drink. I know with my band I had a fluoroscopy done. I had to stand up in front of a machine, and drink some contrast Fluid. It was not barium, but kind of like what they use for leak tests. As I stood there sipping, the surgeon watched the Fluid go down, and how my body reacted to the swallowing to ensure that my esophagus hadn't been damaged. Maybe something along these lines would help. You could have a minor stricture. Strictures are caused by scar tissue from the surgery interfering with the normal function of the stomach.

I'm not telling you any of this to scare you, but I think you need to go back to your sleeve surgeon and tell him something is not "right". There is no reason at this point for sliders to hurt. I can eat 6-8oz of sliders within 20-40 minutes depending on consistency without issue. There has to be a reason this is happening, and it's either something with your sleeve or esophagus.

yep I'm with you there Jane and Tiff--I decided to have an endoscopy (July 7th) with a gastroenterologist (not my surgeon) who has a very good reputation in working with gastric bypass patients...he has all my surgical records and I feel he is the best choice in physicians at this point. I am going to contact him before my endoscopy and ask him about further testing as you suggest Tiff. Yeah all in all the weight loss is very satisfactory but the discomfort is troublesome and at this stage of my life I want some peace of mind and be able to appreciate lost weight. Thanks both for your input. I'll keep you posted and let you know the out come. In the mean while I am still trying to get a correct diagnosis with this perpetual sore throat. The Gastro doc who is doing the endo, 7/7, doesn't agree with the ENT that it's "silent reflux" or LPR BTW, since I've been on PPI medication for 8 months straight. He feels that the lump/sore/ mucusy throat issue would have resolved if it were LPR being my stomach acid is for the most part shut down. He feels it's some sort of salivary issue and said his endoscopy is limited to the esphogus and stomach better that another ENT examine me again. So.................that's another avenue yet unresolved. Thanks again my friends.

No wisdom on the topic, just want you to know I'm thinking of you, and I hope you can find a resolution that will allow you to enjoy all the wonderful changes your body has made. Good luck!

Anna

I am so sorry you are in pain Lis, I hope that the endo provides some answers. I will be praying for you on July 7th, if you don't mind that. I think it is great that you are being proactive. I am 6 months out and recently noticed an increase in restriction, it lasted about 4 days and really freaked me out for the same reasons - I am losing plenty fast and worry about being able to maintain my goal weight if I can't eat much. Not to mention nutritionally how much am I taking in? And then I also worry about exercising - burning more or as many calories as I am consuming - how does that work? I mentioned it at my support group meeting, but no one really could give me any answers (most have had bypass and restriction seems to be less of a concern). I didn't realize you had a 40 bougie. I still need to ask my surgeon what I have. I sure hope you get answers soon. Hugs to you.

No wisdom on the topic, just want you to know I'm thinking of you, and I hope you can find a resolution that will allow you to enjoy all the wonderful changes your body has made. Good luck!

Anna

Thank you Anna! It's so nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. xx

I am so sorry you are in pain Lis, I hope that the endo provides some answers. I will be praying for you on July 7th, if you don't mind that. I think it is great that you are being proactive. I am 6 months out and recently noticed an increase in restriction, it lasted about 4 days and really freaked me out for the same reasons - I am losing plenty fast and worry about being able to maintain my goal weight if I can't eat much. Not to mention nutritionally how much am I taking in? And then I also worry about exercising - burning more or as many calories as I am consuming - how does that work? I mentioned it at my support group meeting, but no one really could give me any answers (most have had bypass and restriction seems to be less of a concern). I didn't realize you had a 40 bougie. I still need to ask my surgeon what I have. I sure hope you get answers soon. Hugs to you.

Stacie, wow time moves on so quickly it's shocking! I can't believe it's been 6 months already since you had your surgery. I know you went through such an ordeal and it is GREAT to know that you have come through and are in the fine tuning process as are many of us. Today (so far) eating came easier. The restriction seems to come on strong some days for some reason and then there are moments where I almost feel normal (little to no discomfort) when eating. Prayer is good so I welcome your offer and extend a huge hug back to you. Like Tiff has said and put on display, there is not much difference between the 32 and 40 bougie. Tiff's a 32 bougie and seems to eat better than I even when she was about 10 months out. I'll keep updating as I go since I think it is very important that those of us who are out further share our experience. After all we share a very exclusive type of surgery and having one another to learn from is invaluable. Stay well and keep in touch!

Hiya Lis...just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and I hope you get this resolved.

Hopefully you will get some answers at your doctor's appointment.

Congrats on being so close to your goal! That's wonderful.

Hiya Lis...just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and I hope you get this resolved.

Hopefully you will get some answers at your doctor's appointment.

Congrats on being so close to your goal! That's wonderful.

Thanks beautiful! And, how are you doing?