Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What surgery can i tell people i've had instead of telling them about the sleeve?

Stomach surgery is a good answer. I am with Grateful Heart, Ialways tell the truth. This is nothing to be ashamed of. If anything, the exact opposite. I am proud I did this to regain my life back. Best of luck

I realize it's been a while since original post, but I feel inclined to add my opinion anyway. I have NO secrets when it comes to my journey. I have over 200 lbs to lose. Everyone I know thinks the surgery is the last resort for me and I may die soon without it. I have tried to have some sort of wls for over 10 years, but something always happens that makes it impossible. I am 8 days from surgery now and I pray that preop work allows me to have surgery. I have been SO open about my journey that everyone also knows that I have painstakingly saved the 12,900.00 CASH for the surgery. They also know that my husband just got a loan we cant afford at $20,000.00 to buy a boat, subconsciously trying to sabbatage my dream. So as you can see my life is an open book. I have found that people have been so worried about my health for so long that they are releived that my solution is about to take place.

But if you still want an excuse, a friend of mine is telling people she had a bladder tack.

I am in the full truth camp but it is a totally personal decision, and I am blessed (cursed?) with a certain 'if you don't like it it's your problem' personality. I feel obligated to tell people about this operation because it could inform other people who have this horrible eating problem to retrieve their lives. There is so much ignorance out there about the options available and GPs seem to be totally clueless here in the UK. I never had one tell me about WLS, they just hand you a diet sheet! I will not forget where I came from on this, I think many VSG people lose the weight and quietly forget that they were ever fat, as I owe more to the others following on.

Jane x

I am having same problem. Its really tough for me to take to much time off at work. How long do you suggest to take off? I could probably get my work modified so I dont have to lift or stand for long times.

However, I am thinking of saying gall bladder removal, which I already have out and noone at work knows this. But, I need a Doctor note, how can I get one without my Doctor trying to talk me out of the surgery anyone have ideas.

I live in Calgary area if anyone knows a good Doctor who would write me a note

This thread is interesting to me. I quickly read the responses and they seemed to fall into the categories of "it's your business, and you can choose what you reveal" OR "tell the truth, it's the morally high ground". Not judging anyone, we are all SO different in our head-space. Just interesting.

I tend to be very truthful in my responses to people. I just tend to respond to a question with the truth before I've thought about the consequences of what I am saying to who. I can see that I subconsciously think this is the right thing to do, in MOST instances. But I am also a sensitive individual who probably cares too much what other people say or think about me. I've seen in my past that I will remember something negative someone says to me for a LONG time!

I've recently decided that I need to protect myself against people who are not in my inner circle. My inner circle friends/family love me, support me, and think I am a great person. To them, I reveal my whole self. To those outside this circle, I give more generic information.

It's your choice to decide who knows what about you, in my opinion. But I can understand everyone's responses.

I've just told the truth, raw and bloody truth! For better or for worse this is what i did and I just hope and pray I will have made the right decision as time moves on. I have not had anyone belittle me in any way. Some have been jealous but I assure them that what I did was very difficult and I might like to undo it at times and try again to battle my weight without having had the surgery. Most feel my sincerity and appreciate it. I also tell them that having lost so much weight has not resolved many self esteem issues I struggle with internally. Yes I shed the fat but I'm still that me inside that over ate myself into a very large and unhealthy person physically. This sort of helps people understand that WL surgery may be a tool but is NOT a magic pill to "happiness".

for my band -- I said I was having a "hiatel hernia" operation - which was true -- but for my revsion it's going to be "a female thing" -- that shuts the guys up in the office real quick :-)

I will and have been telling everyone the truth. Actually, my initial decision was to have Lap Band, now I have decided to go for the sleeve.

I think it is a personal decision, all depends on how you feel about it.

I tend to be an open book, and my entourage (including work-I have been in the same sport all my life, as an athlete, coach and now administrator) has seen me struggle with my weight forever... so for me, I am quite comfortable with telling the truth.

I had a major burnout a while back, and I have worked very hard at learning to take care of ME. This is part of it (the surgery).. the other part is that I am now surronding myself with people who are positive , accepting etc. As for those who care to make snide remarks, so be it..let them!

I only told a few people pre-op because I did not want their opinions.

Post-op, I say I had weight loss surgery. No one has been unsupportive. At 59 I just don't care what other people think very much anymore. I did not want people to think I had cancer if I lost a lot weight quickly. I also thought that maybe if someone else was thinking about it or obese they might want to talk to me about it. I just saw no reason to make up a story, but that is my personal preference. I would not be able to keep track of who knew and who did not. It's just easier I don't have to make up reasons for my eating habits and I didn't have any good reason not to tell the truth.

I'm a pretty open person. I plan to tell anyone who asks. Like someone above me said, if they have an issue with it, it's their issue, not mine. So far, I've told two of my friends (the two who I thought might be interested in getting this as well - both of them aren't ready for it this year, unfortunately), my boyfriend (who's a little worried, but very supportive). I raised the issue with my mom, while trying to see if I could do the surgery back home - she said "I'm not going to assist you with any operations, diet is the only way to go, I'm out of town for the next 3 weeks, cheers!" I was tempted to ask her how that "DIET" is working for her, considering she's 5'3" and has been hovering in the 200s for at least a decade....I decided to just not raise the issue anymore until I'm done the procedure - unless she brings it up herself.

The only person I won't tell is my father, for various reasons - we are not close at all AND he was always very abusive towards me about my weight, even when I wore a size 8. If I told him, he'd just call me a cow with no willpower, etc, like he always did. *eyeroll*

I have fibromayalgia, thyroid disease, adrenal gland disfunction, and chronic fatigue syndrome. These all led up to my weight gain. I wish they would go away with the surgery but I don't think they are really related. My whole life I have been honest about my health issues so people understand why I can't go somewhere or why I don't drink or smoke etc. Boy did I get sick of people questioning my sanity and asking if I was a hypochondriac and if a doctor really diagnosed me or not. I have the best doctor who gave me my life back after 2 years in bed. I refuse to let my business be the world's business and I teach my daughter to keep her personal buisness to herself. I am glad you do too! Sorry about the rambling. I happened to have a hernia too so I went with that. I didn't mention the robotic surgery because I don't think they use that for hernias. Also, I went to my first party at a bar and asked the bartender for half cranberry juice half Water and I put a lime on the glass. The bartender didn't even ask why. It looked just like a cranberry vodka!

Also, everytime I see someone who could benefit from the VS I feel like giving them a brochure. But don't want to offend anyone.

Hi all,

Fist of all congrats to all post ops and best of luck to all pre ops waiting for their opp dates. I'm new to this and i'm due to have my sleeve next week. I'm both nervous and excited about the whole thing but one thing that's really taking over my mind at the moment is what to tell people. I've told the people close to me that i'm having this opperation but i dont want to tell certain family members and friends that i'm having a VS op. Can anyone tell me what they told friends/family/co workers what op they've had?

Thanks so much and good health to you all..

Jemma :)