Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the Lapband to Sleeve Revision Group, 4 days out

Hi everyone, I was banded in 2005 and I really believe it slipped early on as I never really had a time where I could eat and feel secure that I wouldn't be sick afterwards, it was always a gamble. I eventually took it out and now two years later I weighed more than before I got the band (part of that was that I thought I would put another band on so wanted to enjoy the forbidden foods before I did). I then heard about the sleeve, then the sleeve plication. That seemed to be the answer for me as I work for an airline, some of the security sensors are sooo sensitive I know the metal staples would set off the alarms, then I'd have to show paperwork or explain it everytime I went to work. So that, coupled with the reversible nature of the plication seemed great for me.

I flew down to Tijuana this past week and arrived at my hospital (gorgeous and sooo much nicer than anything I've been in here in the states and I have great insurance) by mid morning, by later that afternoon, the surgery was done. There were no shortcuts, it's just that it is all done seamlessly with no wait time, very well orchestrated. I was accompanied by a concierge type lady, extremely bilingual, through the paperwork, bloodtests, introduction to all of the Drs. etc.

My understanding is that there are only around 3 surgeons in the US that do the plication. So I was lucky to have found Dr. Corvala, he is a terrific surgeon and he even admitted it was a tough go. Apparently with mine, there was lots of scar tissue where the band was that needed to be cut, this caused some bleeding so a 5" tube was run into the abdominal cavity to allow it to drain out. I had no idea that our cavity was full of this golden Fluid, which drained out with the residual bleeding.

Having had the band, I was at work 3 days later, with very little pain. This revision was much more tender on the inside. I couldn't really catch a deep breath on my heart side, where the work was done. This persisted until yesterday (4 days out). I rested today and plan to not do anything really strenuous for a few days as I don't want anything to be pulled or stretched or torn. I am being very strict with myself on this as I don't want to go under the knife again (this was #3 on weight loss) so I'm really being a good girl.

There were many gals in the hospital getting banded and it was hard for me not to be kind of down on it (even though I would have done it again if no other options were available). But I didn't, I took total responsibility for the slippage and warned them about it so as to take care. I wished them all well and do sincerely hope that it works for them and truly hope that this sleeve works for me. I would say the difference between the band and sleeve is that the band is like food going through a toll booth and having to have the arm raise to pass, whereas the sleeve seems to me like three lanes have been narrowed to one lane where we can go, just slower and the lanes fill up easier. Let me know revisionists, if I'm seeing it right or whether I'm seeing it the way I'd like to see it. I don't share this with too many people (don't want it to become my identity) so I'm really grateful to have this group to come to for their wisdom and advice. Anything you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

did your insurance help with this?

No, generally down in Mexico it's self-pay. I began at 213#, which is simply obese, not morbidly obese. However, my body, coupled with flying, didn't respond well to the excess weight. I have sleep disorders, joint pain, not to mention, difficulty getting around on the plane due to very narrow aisle, compact jumpseat, etc. My hope is to get back down to 130 as I had with the band and I think that's achievable. The thing about Mexico is that it is so much less expensive it becomes affordable (it's priced as a package), whereas, here in the states, surgery is a gamble, you know what "some" prices are but the rest are up in the air and can bankrupt you. I know that my surgery is less than a year old and is very low priced now, and I was told that it would be going up in Sept. which prompted me to go ahead and borrow a bit to get it done. If the band was any example, I'll be able to pay it back from what I save on food costs. I hope that answered your question.

do you have any pictures os yourself to share ...I 'd love to see your progress

Working on that, and really need to do it, will post when I get them. I'm only 4 days out so I doubt any visible difference will show.