Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide on sleeve

Hi, I'm new on this forum.

My story: I went into surgery day before yesterday to get a lap-band placed. However, when my doctor got inside, he found a huge hiatal hernia that has misshapen my stomach. After consultation with another doc, he put me together again. He says lap-band is not an option at this point, and that I should consider gastric bypass.

I really don't want the full surgery. The more I read about the different types, the more VSG seems like the most reasonable option.

I would very much appreciate any feedback you could give me on what works and what doesn't with VSG.

Thanks!

Hi Anne,

I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that whole ordeal. With the sleeve, there really isn't anything that doesn't work.

The post-op diet is pretty similar as bypass, but the sleeve gives you more food options once you progress onto a normal diet. For me, I had a band and it was horrible with that pouch. I knew bypass was going to give me the same pouch, and I didn't want anything to do with that again. Having a full functioning stomach with a pyloric valve is pretty awesome compared to what I dealt with from the band pouch.

For me, RNY just was not an option. Main reason being is that malabsorption of calories/fats only lasts 2 years then the body adjusts by growing more villi in the intestine, but the malabsorption of vitamins/minerals is for life. The long term complications with RNY that I have not only read about on the net, but have witnessed with real life friends scared me. I could give you the list, but I'm sure you know what the complications with RNY can be.

There are no medication or food restrictions with VSG. For me that was a big plus. I honestly eat anything I want. It's small portions, but I don't have foods that are off limits.

Best wishes in your research. Keep us updated on your progress.

Tiffykins, thanks for your response, and thanks for all your responses. You are most helpful!

The more I'm reading, the more I think the sleeve is the way for me to go, and the more I'm glad the band didn't work out for me. And I would rather go it on my own than go for RNY.

I'm so glad I found this board!

Anne, I just returned from having the sleeve plication (stomach is folded in on itself and sewn, no leaks, nothing is removed and it's reversible), at one point, one of the visiting Drs. asked me if I was the one who had the hernia? I said no, I was the revision so I know that Dr. Corvala down in Tijuana is a great surgeon for all types of procedures that other Drs. won't touch. (like banding bypass people who have stretched out). Do contact the rep for the hospital if you're interested. She can be reached at:

925-957-6743 office

925-324-6524 mobile

1-866-978-2573 ext 129

Her name is Sandy. This hospital is a self pay so I don't know if that will or will not work for you but I found them to be quite reasonable.

Good luck to you.

This is a really touchy subject for most people, but I'm going to stick my neck out....

We researched weight loss surgeries for ten years. During that time, I learned a LOT about the Roux-en-Y (also called R-Y) Gastric Bypass (also called simply, Gastric Bypass), Mini-Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, the Fobi Pouch, Vertical Gastrectomy, Duodenal Switch etc., etc... I also learned a LOT about weight-loss drugs, methods, exercise, the science and treatment of obesity, ad nauseum.

Here's my conclusion: chronic overweight, in many cases, acts more like a disease than anything else. Think of it as a Syndrome: a collection of symptoms, conditions, actions and reactions that culminate into a similar pattern of result we call Obesity.

If you are at the point where you are considering surgery to treat your overweight, please, please, PLEASE do your research. Ask all the questions. Verify the answers.

After exhaustive research, I have to say that the two most effective procedures BY FAR are the Vertical Gastrectomy, and the Duodenal Switch.

The mortality, morbidity, and overall success (of losing excess weight and KEEPING IT OFF) rates blow away every other surgery being offered today.

This biggest 'pros' are that your valves and structures stay in place - so afterward you can have a cheesburger, a beer, a soda, pizza, nuts, chips, whatever. You just can't have that much of it. For the rest of your life you only absorb 10% of the fat you consume (so go ahead and eat that rib-eye steak).

The 'cons' are that is is a more technically demanding, and more expensive surgery - your surgeon must be skilled - versus the R-en-Y, Lap Band, etc. For instance, a typical R-en-Y patient is in-and-out in about an hour. A Duodenal Switch (or DS) patient takes on average 3.5-4 hours.

From an economic standpoint, it's no wonder relatively few have heard of the DS. A less-skilled surgeon can do two or three R-en-Y's in the same time it takes a more-skilled surgeon to do one!

I could go on and on about this, but here's my point: weight loss surgery is a very serious life-changing decision. Do all the research so that at the end of the day, you choose the right procedure for you.

To read more, go here: Weight Loss Surgery in San Francisco. They have a pretty exstensive site the explains a lot about the weight loss surgeries offered today. They are a doctor's office; they do specialize in DS. So far, the DS patient I know has lost 280lbs in two years, been cured of diabetes and high blood pressure, and both he and his wife are very, very very happy.

Good luck!

Betterbytheday and ziggie, thanks for your extensive and thoughtful responses.

After consideration, research, and consultation, I'm going to go for the sleeve, pending doctor and insurance approval. It just makes the most sense- hunger is by for the hardest thing for me to deal with. I am regularly exercising and I do discipline myself in terms of what and when I eat, but the hunger pangs when I'm dieting are awful. I'm not talking about head hunger, I'm talking about the real thing. I have done many diets and have been dieting the last 3 months, and I know if I continue on my own, the hunger will as always sabotage me.

I have a 35.4 bmi with comorbidities. That's just too low for a bypass. Plus, I want to keep all my structures, just less of one. My insurance did already approve a lap-band, which as I described above, couldn't be placed.

I will find out this coming week whether my new doctor and my insurance agree with me. My case has been turned over to the senior doctor in the practice, and I see him Thursday June 10. I'm lucky enough to have insurance that does cover the sleeve; I don't know if they will consider it a medical necessity. If all goes well, my surgery date will be June 22.

Please, all, send good vibes my way and keep your fingers crossed for me! Plus any other feedback positive or negative would be much appreciated!

Edited by AnneGG