Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New - researching sleeve as a possible revision

Hi all - I'm a 36 yo wife and mom of two older teens. I was banded in Sept 2005 and had a lot of success with my band. At 4+ years I'm down 90 lbs which still leaves me with a BMI in the obese range but its 90 less than I had 4 years ago.

At my 4 year check up I had gained about 29 lbs over my year 3 numbers. I received a fill and I believe that may be when the trouble started. Shortly after my fill I developed reflux, not thinking much of it I started taking Prevacid. My doctor required a 6 month check up at which time I talked with him about the reflux so he ordered an upper GI.

The results - moderate circumferential dilation - my doctor wanted to go in and take out my band. We compromised and I ended up being unfilled with strict eating instructions and another upper GI in 6 weeks. He doesn't feel that this will give significant results and now I'm afraid that even if it does I will be prone to dilation in the future.

My surgeon offered several options - repositioning the band, RNY or Sleeve. Out of these options, the sleeve is the only one I feel semi-comfortable with at this time. I have 6 weeks to find out if this is the right option for me, if I end up needing an option.

I look forward to getting to pick the brains of the sleevers here - I need to know it all. The good, bad and ugly!!

Thank you in advance.

Hey Lynn, we talked on OH, but I just wanted to welcome you over here. I'm USAF Wife over there. There's lots of revision patients over here that post pretty regularly.

If you come across any questions, post away, we're here for you.

I've already found some very good info here (including a copy of Cigna's Bariatric policy which has me very encouraged). Thanks for the welcome!

Living with the band is a nightmare. Living with the sleeve is effortless. Get that band out and get a sleeve!

There are many of us band to sleeve revisions and I don't know anyone who is sorry they did it!

Lynn, I'm going through exactly what you are . Like you, my dr. says after 2 EDGs, the band has to come out, be repaired or go with sleeve - I'm leaning towards sleeve and hoping to read more about those that have gone the band to sleeve route . I had great success with the band and although there were days I hated it, learned to live with it. I thought the weight loss (120 plus pounds and being almost too thin) was well worth it. I also liked that it could be reverse/removed. This is my fear with the sleeve, there is no going back. Well, if insurance company approves the revision - right now, I've convinced myself, I'm going for it. Don't want to be heavy ever again!!!

For y'all considering a revision, I can tell you that I wouldn't let someone put another band in for a million bucks.

I was willing to live with some of the band issues, but when I read the stats on reslips, additional erosions, more port issues, I just couldn't risk it. I wanted only one more surgery and be done. The risk for another surgery with another band just scared me.

With the damage the band did to my stomach, I honestly don't know if my stomach have supported another band. I know it can be removed, but at what cost. I love that the sleeve isn't reversible, and I honestly don't miss that big, stretchy stomach that allowed me to eat enormous amounts of food.

It seems scary and drastic, but ending up fat for the rest of my life, or dealing with another band issue, was even more scary.

Keep researching and reading around here. There's lots of stories out there of patients that went through the same thought process.

Being reversible was not one of the reasons I picked the band - I didn't want my stomach cut and I certainly didn't want to dump or end up with vit/mineral deficiencies. Now I know I don't want to be fat again and I also know that left with no tool that is exactly what would happen.

I really don't want another surgery but I also don't want to go through this again in 1, 2, or 5 years down the road. If not caught in time dilation can lead to strangulation of part of the stomach and it can die and need to be removed. I would rather control what part of my stomach is removed.

So even if my dilation resolves I'm leaning toward going for the revision. I am surprised to find that of the very few people I've told (who were all supportive of my original choice) they seem a bit unsupportive now?? I'm getting comments like "Oh you know how to eat now so you don't need that" WTH, People that I thought understood that without help I will not keep this weight off - or finally get to goal are no longer people that I can talk to.

I'm confused again....grrrrrr. I'm glad there are people here that have been where I am now.

My mom was the same way Lynn. I was disheartened when my mom told me I was reckless for deciding on the sleeve.

This site was my lifeline during my research, surgery and recovery stage. The members here were my support system, and for that I am extremely grateful.

We'll be here for you as well. I know it isn't the same, but at least you know you aren't completely alone.

Thanks Tiffykins - I really do feel comfortable here and it is a relief to have others that have lived it to talk to.

Lynn,

I honestly do not feel deprived in any way. I can eat anything I want and there is no food that does not work with the sleeve, the way certain foods just would not go through the band. I don't miss food getting stuck or pbs or any other issues I had with the band, especially waking up in the middle of the night choking the way I did when I was banded.

Lynn, I'm going through exactly what you are . Like you, my dr. says after 2 EDGs, the band has to come out, be repaired or go with sleeve - I'm leaning towards sleeve and hoping to read more about those that have gone the band to sleeve route . I had great success with the band and although there were days I hated it, learned to live with it. I thought the weight loss (120 plus pounds and being almost too thin) was well worth it. I also liked that it could be reverse/removed. This is my fear with the sleeve, there is no going back. Well, if insurance company approves the revision - right now, I've convinced myself, I'm going for it. Don't want to be heavy ever again!!!

Thom and Lynne, look into the sleeve plication, where the stomach is folded into the stomach and stitched, twice. The benefits are that there's no possibility of leaking and it's reversible if needed. It had all that I needed to feel secure about doing it. Problem is there are only 3 Drs. in the US that do it, look on Youtube at the video of the procedure, it's more difficult as a revision, with that in mind, I paid for it myself and Had it done down in Mexico with a Dr. there that's done 60 of them, just look at all the possibilities as it's a big step.

Thom and Lynne, look into the sleeve plication, where the stomach is folded into the stomach and stitched, twice. The benefits are that there's no possibility of leaking and it's reversible if needed. It had all that I needed to feel secure about doing it. Problem is there are only 3 Drs. in the US that do it, look on Youtube at the video of the procedure, it's more difficult as a revision, with that in mind, I paid for it myself and Had it done down in Mexico with a Dr. there that's done 60 of them, just look at all the possibilities as it's a big step.

I've already done the "safer" reversible route - now its time for some cutting. Not to mention - no one does it and its not covered by insurance. But thanks!!