Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very small amounts of food-normal?

Hi all,

I just joined this group. Has been 2 weeks and 4 days since I had the sleeve. On bariatic soft diet BUT can only eat about 1 Teasp of food. Hard for me to get in the water/liquid, Protein and all the Vitamins BUT trying to get at least 1 of the 2 tables of Multi Vitamin in along w/B12 and 1 or 2 calcium chews. Is this stuggle with theliquids in the "normal range"? Sips are BABY BABY sips - Thanks

by two weeks, you should be able to eat more than a teaspoon, and you should be able to get your liquids in. I suggest calling your doctor if you cannnot eat. It was hard for me to get all that stuff in, in the first two weeks, but I was able to eat a jar of baby food, or a SF Jello, etc.

I agree... call your doc. By week two I was able to do more

That doesn't sound right to me. Day two sure but halfway through your second week I would think you could take in a lot more. Definitely call your doctor and good luck. Let us know what you find out.

wow...I'm 18 days out today and I can eat a whole cup of creamed Soup at a time.

I can drink pretty much like normal. Thicker stuff like greek yogurt I can eat about half to 3/4 of a container at a time.

What happens if you eat more than that? Are you feeling full?

I'd definitely contact your doctor.

Thanks all, I will definatly call Dr first thing tomorrow - Monday. I also had gallbladder removed but don't think that has anything to do with this problem. Will post his response.

Thanks all. I will definalty call Dr 1st thing on Monday. I also had gallbladder removed but don't think that is a factor in this. Will post his response.

Thanks all. I will definalty call Dr 1st thing on Monday. I also had gallbladder removed but don't think that is a factor in this. Will post his response.

Your swelling may just be taking longer to resolve, so don't panic : ) Everyone has a wide range of recoveries from pain, to what they tolerate, etc.

I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and it didn't affect how much I ate, only what I ate. My system didn't adjust well to the increase of bile so it was food in, food out. Not pleasant. There are a couple of meds out there that will help that - if it becomes an issue for you. My issues totally went away after sleeve surgery and I have quit taking my "gall bladder" med.

I still eat quite slowly at two+ months out. At two weeks, it took 45 minutes - hour to eat 2 ounces. It seemed like it took forever to take a real drink of water! Now it is pretty much normal.

Hope you get good advice from your doctor in the morning!

Called Dr - discussed my concerns about small amounts - Told not to stress 1) I may be eating too quickly ( which at times I was) 2) swelling is different for every one. I have an appointment next week and if not better by then, we'll discuss problem more. Today was better - able to eat about 2+ teaspoons tuna-with miricle whip in about 40 mins.

Thanks all for you comments/support.

I'm glad you talked to your doctor, and will be following up with him. It's been 7 weeks since I was sleeved. I was definitely able to eat more than a teaspoonful at 2 weeks--more like 1/4-1/2 cup. BUT... I was on Clear Liquids for 4 days, and then "full liquids" for 4 weeks. During the full liquid stage I could eat yogurt, cream Soups, baby food (but not the junior with chunk types), pudding, Protein Shakes, etc. I was told not to eat anything with any little pieces. I strained everything. I would have had a lot of trouble if I had been trying to eat something like tuna with miracle whip. For me, even baby food meats were too thick to go down well. I mixed the baby food chicken or turkey with Tomato Soup and that made it easier to eat. It's possible that you are just advancing your diet too quickly for your body's stage in the healing process. There are many websites with a wealth of information on how to advance your diet post VSG. Each one seems to be a little different, and even though I followed the recommendations in my doctor's handout, I gained information, reassurance, and got helpful ideas from reading other stuff too. Do an internet search of "nutritional guidelines sleeve gastrectomy" and see what you find. As long as you are getting your Protein shakes, what are you going to hurt by taking it slow?

hey, glad your doc reassured you. i was where you are and now the amount i can eat is still very small. when i went for my follow up post-surgery i was told that all was fine, we're all unique yadda yadda. but i have issues getting the Protein in as i cannot do the Protein Shakes, i've had several stalls due to not getting enough nourishment and my thought process has been all sorts of whacked out. i am two months out and to give you a peek at my diet for the day it was 1/4 banana, 3 thin slices turkey, slice cheese, 1oz cod... through out the day i drink Water and do fine with that. in the beginning i had painfully small sips as well. i hope it helps knowing you are not alone!