Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and different case

Tiffykins, thank you for your response. Yes all patients are different. I am postponing surgery to think about it more and research it further as well as look into other options. It could be that a liquid diet could help me shrink my stomach. The thing is that i dont want to lose more than 20 or 30 lbs, i mainly want to shrink the size of my stomach. That's where my case is so different. It would not be possible for me to lose 60 without being a walking skeleton. Possibly my doctor could do a modified version of the surgery and reduce my stomach to a "normal" size as opposed to the very small size that it normally is reduced to in most patients. I can only ask and find out.

Your last option does sound more resonable, I am sure that a surgeon could take a look at your stomach and see what state it is in and maybe look at a partial gastrectomy to allow it to be "normal" vrs sleeve size wich is meant for those of us needing to lose allot of weight. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Edited by Swiftflow

Jillian,

You are sure getting a wide range of opinions : )

Since I always seem to be the rebel around here, I am going in a different direction.

I totally agree with you that reducing your stomach to a normal size could be a great solution for you. Hopefully you will be able to find a couple of surgeons to discuss it with and see if it is a feasible, realistic solution. I am sure there have been similiar cases before and someone will know the answer.

Most of us have eating issues or we wouldn't be where we are or were. I personally don't feel that you have any more issues than anyone else. I know that the mental side of the sleeve surgery has been much more difficult than the physical. Truly, one day at a time, one meal at a time. It is a work in progress and for me, the more success I see, the easier it is to accept the amount I can eat. The mental will adjust and correct over time, just like most any habit to be changed.

I would compare your situation to the many women who have bladder issues. This is coming from a laymen's view, not a medical one :smile1:. I have heard about many women encountering bladder problems after having children and getting older. This past year I noticed a change in myself. If the bladder was full and I sneezed, it was time to change clothes! LOL That was going to be my "next project" to discuss with my doctor. However, the weight issue shot to the top with the sleep apnea and back problems. AND, the best part .... I no longer have bladder issues after having the surgery because my bladder never gets too full now :thumbup:. Bladders get stretched out, drop, whatever - very similar sounding as your stomach being stretched out.

People have surgeries for many different reasons. Many people here have talked about having cosmetic surgery after losing weight. I really don't see this as being much different. Cosmetic surgery also isn't going to cure any deep rooted issues and how many ever consider counseling after having their breasts lifted, reduced or augmented? Lots of people have cosmetic surgery expecting miracles. I know it made me feel better about myself however it certainly didn't change my life or make stress go away.

Do your research, talk to a couple of doctors and then make the best decision for you. Good Luck! Would be interested in what drs advise you and what you decide! :wink0:

Edited by pnw218

LAN2K- I can see your point of view. I really didn't think i would lose 30 lbs very fast, i have hypothyroidism, and also am a big fan of Protein Shakes, and there are a variety of different shakes including high calorie shakes that are dense in calories and healthy nutrition if there was the problem of losing too much weight. I just really didn't foresee that being a problem because in the past, i have always hit a rock bottom weight that my body would not budge further below, even if i was to stop eating. I think my body is very "aware" of the dieting that i have done and is trying to hang on to every additional fat cell it can. Oh the human body :thumbup:

LAN2K- I can see your point of view. I really didn't think i would lose 30 lbs very fast, i have hypothyroidism, and also am a big fan of Protein shakes, and there are a variety of different shakes including high calorie shakes that are dense in calories and healthy nutrition if there was the problem of losing too much weight. I just really didn't foresee that being a problem because in the past, i have always hit a rock bottom weight that my body would not budge further below, even if i was to stop eating. I think my body is very "aware" of the dieting that i have done and is trying to hang on to every additional fat cell it can. Oh the human body :lol0:

I know all too well what kind of battle you refer to when you say you think your body has a mind of it's own so-to-speak. I have hypothyroidism too and after the surgery, dropped 30lbs in less than a month. My stomach now reduced to the size of a 3 or 4oz tube...was a shocker! I was also convinced that my body was at war with me and just would not allow my body mass to reduce to lean It hadn't truly occurred to me that it would take me hours to consume a 20 oz size Protein Drink and often I could not drink the entire 20 ounces. I couldn't tolerate the yummy Protein Shakes I had woofed down pre surgery-not in any flavor or consistency--all Protein Shakes whey, hemp, soy you name it nauseated me, (& still do). I was lucky to find a ready made refrigerated Protein Drink called Naked-Tropical and it cost me nearly $4.00 per bottle...then after around the 4 month mark they stopped making it so I learned to mix up a scoop of Protein powder in hot morning Cereal and/or yogurt. For the first 4.5 months I was grateful to get in 400 calories. Today I manage between 600-800...I have less than 20lbs to reach the weight I was BEFORE I became overweight as an adolescent. Things change drastically with this surgery.

Maybe finding an experienced surgeon who would modify the procedure for you could give you the tool you need to curb that ravenous hunger you feel, but the standard sleeve gastrectomy designated for people who are more or less in excess of 100lbs, in my opinion, would ravage you. I feel you will find a solution since you are determined and here seeking out answers from real people who have experience with this particular WL surgery.

Jillian,

I hope my replies did not offend you. Please know that no matter your decision that this is an excellent forum for support and I really do understand how desperate it can feel to feel like your body is not in your control. I wish you the very best of luck.

I have read everyone's post to this point. The only suggestion I have for you is, if you haven't yet, is to see a Dietitian and Nutritionist where both of them can set you with a plan of how much to eat daily. Its' not the calories you are concerned about, but the amount of food you eat and the head hunger.

If it was only 30lbs instead of 140lbs for me to lose, I will jump at it.

I truly wish you the best in whatever decision you decide.