Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friends Questioning if this is the right surgery!

I have a few friends that have had RNY in the past 4 months. They are questioning if the sleeve is going to actually work. They think that I am crazy for even considering the sleeve because the bypass works so well. I have tried to tell them all of the upsides of the Sleeve vs the Gastric Bypass and why I am deciding to go that way.

My PCP had never heard of this surgery but asked if I was comfortable with my decision and with the surgeon that I had selected. She was great about filling out the paperwork required by my insurance company.

My poor husband keeps smiling and shaking his head when I go on my rants about other people and there opinions. But they sad part is I actually start questioning myself.

So did anyone tell you, that you were choosing the wrong WLS surgery????.

I don't know that I am actually answering your question here, but if you have done all of your homework and you like the ups and downs of the two surgeries, thats what matters. The thing that I have noticed is that for some reason as humans we get UBER defensive about the decisions we have made and see it that someone is saying our decision is wrong if they make a different one than us. If you look at the various wls forums, people are very defensive of their brand of surgery, their surgeon, their post op plan. It helps us feel secure in what we've actually done.

My ex-mother in-law went pretty crazy over me doing this. She begged me not to. But, I did my research and decided that the band was not a good choice because of the risks with it shifting and things gettting stuck in the pouch, etc. I decided against RNY because there are 2 connections to worry about, you no longer have the pyloric valve, and the stuck in the pouch problems. The sleeve offered a pretty easy recovery no mapabsortion issues (that's a big deal) and basically is just a smaller stomach of what I had before. If for some reason, God forbid, this does not work in the long run, I can always do a RNY later. So for me, there really was no question of which way to go.

For those who were actually familiar with the different WLS options, they supported the sleeve. I was originally considering the lapband, mainly because it was "reversible". Now I certainly have my doubts. The gal I knew locally who had the sleeve a year ago told me that the lapband was a waste of time. I am soooo glad I listened to her!

It would have taken a couple hundred pounds for me to have the bypass. I never even considered it.

I haven't seen many post that they have failed with the sleeve. Personally, I love it. Yes, I still miss food but love the sleeve and wouldn't change it at all.

Make the decision that is right for you. And don't tell anyone else until afterwards. Who knows what your friends' motivation is. Many people just don't know about the sleeve.

My primary dr didn't and I shared some materials with her describing the surgery and the post op diet. She has supported me 100% post-op and will be running labs at three months.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your answers. I know that this is the right choice for me. I had decided not to tell anyone about the surgery except for a few that have had WLS. I never expected to hear them trying to change my mind. I have researched and talked to people and know what I want. I am sure that I will have this discussion with myself many more times in the months to come.

All of you on here are amazing, and such inspirations to all of us that are getting ready for our WL journeys.

Any surgery is a risk...and for the unfortunate person who does have a complication or a poor result, there will always be some know-it-all lurking around the corner to remind them that they didn't make "the right choice." The truth is that with this surgery, the numbers suggest that there just aren't very many who do have problems.

Statistically, there are fewer long-term complications with this surgery than the lap-band or the bypass, and the weight loss results are better than the lap band, and in some people, as good as the bypass. If you are having surgery to lose weight and improve your health, you are making a careful, well-informed choice.

Yep, I heard the same thing. I'm happy to report that I've now lost more weight than some of those very people that told me I'd never get to goal with VSG alone. Well, I did, and I don't have 99% of the issues they have.

I have several friends in real life that were extremely supportive because of the issues they have with their RNY around 4-7 years out. I can't even list all of their long term complications and I'm extremely grateful that I had VSG as an option for my revision. If VSG would not have been an option, I would have seriously had my band removed, and just lived the rest of my life fat.

Don't doubt yourself based on people that are only a few months out from surgery. That's called the honeymoon phase. 95% of patients love their surgery for the first 6-12 months.

Go check out the Revision forum on obesityhelp, also the failed weight loss surgery forum, and the Hunger/Food issues forum. I would venture to say that 85% of the posts are from RNY patients that are 4-10 years out that have

A) gained back a significant amount of their weight back, and they want a revision

:001_tt1: they are having Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies and are so lost on how to get their numbers back up to be healthy

C) they have a mechanical failure with their pouch or stoma,

D) Their bodies are no longer malabsorbing calories, but they are stuck with a lifetime of Vitamin and micronutrient malabsorption (that little part of the RNY that most people don't realize is that malabsorption of calories only lasts 18-24 months). Most opt to have what is called an ERNY. That's where the surgeon goes in and shortens their common channel (cut away more of their intestines) which causes more malabsorption until the body adjusts again, but the vitamin/nutrient deficiencies increase.

The other 15% of patients are band patients that have had their band for 2-5 years and the complications are piling up.

For me, RNY just wasn't worth it. With the sleeve, patients being compliant and changing their relationship with food is the main component to success. I've read of people stop losing or gaining back 10-20 pounds. When they get real honest with what they've been eating, it's pretty obvious what the issue is.

None of the surgeries fix our food demons. That's all on us. For me the sleeve was the most logical option for a normal, and least complicated life post-op. I've gained a few pounds by making bad food choices while on vacation for a week. I had those 5 pounds gone once I got back home. I went back to my normal meal plan which is pretty lax to begin with considering the other surgery dietary guidelines.

Just my 2cents. Trust your gut, trust your research.

Best wishes, and we're all here for you.

Thank you so much. I feel better hearing these things. I guess for me besides these boards it is hard to get any info from other people regarding the sleeve.

Thank you all for your support, there is so much information that can be learned from all of you. You all are truly an inspiration to everyone planning to have WLS.!

You may also hear comments that the sleeve has only been around a short while, that it is still experimental. That is hogwash. This procedure has been done for 25 years. First as part of the Duodenal Switch procedure, where they perform the sleeve, the patient loses a hundred pounds or more,and then they do the RNY. There were such good results with the sleeve, that they decided that this could be the main procedure for many people. That is what has been around for only 4 or 5 years. Knowing this gave me alot of confidence in the procedure. I guess it bugs me when I hear the term experitmental.

My daughter had RNY and she was not supportive at first but she already has a ulcer so I think the sleeve speaks for itself , she is totally behind me now. I was afraid of losing a part of me..to never get it back until I saw a post where Tiffy said "Why would you want it back anyway?" I can tell you I have had 3 major abdominal surgeries and this one was a piece of cake.Carla

The duodenal switch was the only surgery for a long time before RNY, now noone does DS anymore. When the band came out people thought it was crazy, now it's just as popular as RNY. Right now the sleeve is the new kid on the block.. people haven't heard of it, don't know enough about it. The majority of people will always want to stay with what's tried and true but it doesn't mean the new thing isn't better! With everything I know about this surgery, I am pretty sure that in a couple of years it will be just as popular as the others, if not more so!!

Go with your gut and trust yourself and your decision :thumbup:

All great points!

And remember, you don't have to convince your friends that you're making the right decision, and you don't have to get into debates with them. It's going to be fruitless -- they have decided to go with the RNY so it's extremely unlikely you're going to change their minds, and if you do, what do you gain? Nothing, really, except to possibly make them feel bad about their choice.

Repeat after me: "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then!" Say it with a smile, as often as necessary, and change the subject. If necessary, leave the room. They'll eventually get the message that the subject isn't up for debate.

That needs to be my saying all the time. I am a people pleaser. Drives my husband nuts because I am always trying to make sure that everyone else is okay with everything.

That is why this surgery is for me and what I want. I am have prayed a lot about this and I am actually getting excited about the surgery so that I can start my new life. I have my 3 month appointment in a few weeks. So only 3 more months after that. But I think that the time will fly. I also think I will get out of cooking Thanksgiving dinner :thumbup1: THANK YOU!!!!