Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok soooo as I am getting closer to surgery (YAY) and I have started stocking up on things that I will need. Not Protein powders because I know my taste will change BUT I have been getting Vitamins lately. My question now is about acid reducers. I have never had a real issue in my whole life where I have had to take one. On the other hand I have read that a lot of people's answer to hunger pains after surgery is an acid reducer (because people are confusing the feelings of hunger and acid)..SOOO should I or shouldn't I? and do I just get like an over the counter Prilosec, or do I need a real script? And is it a once a day thing?

I have a script for Protonix. I take it twice a day. I've never needed an acid reducer but the first three days post op before it kicked in, I was miserable at night. I woke up feeling like my mouth was flooded with acid. Definitely not something you want to happen if you can avoid it. I just renewed my script as I only got 100 pills when I left the hospital. I think it's cheaper for me to get it through Kaiser than off the shelf.

My Dr. gave me a prescription for Prevacid, but my insurance won't pay for it. Walgreens said it cost $270. I called my Dr. and the advocate I've been working with said I could take Prilosec. I also have some Gas X chewables.< /p>

Prevacid is over the counter now, so I would start there. Or, Prilosec would probably do the trick as well. I've been using Prevacid, and have stepped it up to one every 12 hours now. That has helped me feel less "hungry"... as it was the acid. Hope this helps!

Dr. Aceves gives out a small supply of Nexium after surgery with the orders to take it once a day. However, I'm on aspirin for blood clots, so he has me take an acid reducer twice a day now. Dr. Aceves said Prilosec works as well as Nexium so I'm using that now. Once in the moring before eating anything, and about 30 mins before bedtime. Once I'm totally off the aspirin I'll go back to once a day in the morning.

Could you clarify something for me? Are we talking about acid indigestion or are we talking acid reflux?

I'm only guessing here but it sounds like acid indigestion. I already take Pariet for acid reflux but if antacids are being taken to curb hunger pains then I'm assuming it is like acid indigestion type?

Thanks

John

LOL I wish I could clarify...I have no idea what it is supposed to feel like but I have heard after surgery that people complain that they have a "hungry" feeling. In response to that lots of people say you should be taking an acid reducer because it getts rid of that feeling because you aren't really hungry, it is just the acid in your stomach..Probably acid indigestion.

Hey Tiffany - I just noticed you're in Chattanooga, that is where I grew up!

Since I"m pre-op too I can't tell you about the acid stuff, but wanted to comment on the Protein powders. I'm "stocking up" on individual packets of different brands to try post surgery, like the unjury Stuff, BA, Nectars, various single servings of stuff from grocery stores etc that meet the requirements that way I can find what I like afterwards but already have some supplies at home. Just my 2 cents :thumbup:

Could you clarify something for me? Are we talking about acid indigestion or are we talking acid reflux?

I'm only guessing here but it sounds like acid indigestion. I already take Pariet for acid reflux but if antacids are being taken to curb hunger pains then I'm assuming it is like acid indigestion type?

Thanks

John

John, the answer is both. When I initially spoke to my doctors office about the surgery, that was one thing that was mentioned. The VSG can cause acid indigestion as well as reflux. I'm not sure why. I have read where some people got it after surgery and others that had it before surgery, now do not. We are told to stay on it for at least six months. So that makes it sound like it possibly flares up in the beginning and gets better later? Not sure on that one.

Barb

I was given 20 mg Nexium for 2 weeks (dissolvable in water) for two weeks by Dr. Aceves. I got night cough (since I had a band prior I knew that was a sign of acid reflux-band too tight) I called the Dr. Aceves and I upped it to 40 mg and have been taking pills since. (I was just gagging on crushed meds!!!) I never had acid reflux (except when my band was too tight) the night cough has gone away. I would call the MD that is doing your sleeve and ask him/her what they recommend. :) I plan on staying with 40 mg for 6 months (when stomach is 100% healed) and then wean myself. If I have to keep taking them so be it.

The best of luck to you!

D.