Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have PCOS-considering VSG

Hi, everyone!

This is my first post. I haven't made arrangements (yet) to have the surgery.

Anyway, I have PCOS, and have insulin resistance (not diabetes), and no co-morbid conditions.

Do you lose less with VSG with PCOS than you do if you don't have PCOS?

Edited by lovesthebeach

Hi welcome to VST. I am not clear about your condition. I just know that the sleeve really restricts the volume of food intake. Also it affects your chemistry so you do not feel that impulsive hunger. Stick around, I'm sure you'll get more feedback then I can offer you. Best wishes and health on your WL journey.

Hopefully, a couple of the other members that have shared their PCOS history can chime in. I know that I have read on OH that being insulin resistant with the sleeve can give you slower weight loss, but usually the medication used to treat it helps significantly.

I know that losing weight helps with PCOS symptoms so that is something to look forward to! ! !

Lovesthebeach,

I too have PCOS and insulin resistance. I also have hypothyroidism but no comorbidities. I noticed there is a place on this site for other health issues, but no one ever posts there!

Unfortunately, I have not had the VSG yet and am still in the insurance approval stage.

I have talked to my endocrinologist and my potential VSG surgeon about having VSG and they both agree that it is a good idea and seem confident that I can still lose weight with these conditions, though possibly not as much as without hypothyroidism.

Hopefully, others with PCOS will post about their experiences.

For those who don't know....PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is a hormonal imbalance which can lead to weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, hypothyrodism, infertility, etc. According to my endocrinologist, it does not necessarily mean that you have actual cysts on your ovaries, but is more about the group of symptoms and blood test results.

Good luck to you! I've decided to have the VSG and am anxious for my insurance approval!

thinopia-I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the autoimmune hypothyroid), so I do have what my endocrinologist calls "the double whammy" with PCOS AND hypothyroidism. He never pushes WLS, but does say I need to lose weight.

With PCOS, it's the chicken or the egg-does PCOS cause weight gain (which I believe it does, b/c I had no problems with weight growing up until I got in my early 20s), but then weight gain makes PCOS symptoms worse. If only it were easy to lose weight. I seem to put on 10-15 pounds in just a couple of months by doing nothing different.

I will have to be private pay because DH's insurance does not cover WLS at all. I guess I just wonder that if I am going to get similar results with WLS as what I would with a physician supervised diet/exercise program, then I am not sure if I want to do surgery. Of course the surgeon is going to recommend surgery, b/c that's money in his pocket, so it's not like they don't have some kind of bias.

I haven't gone to an informational seminar yet-I am supposed to go next week. The surgeon also has medically supervised diet program-either 6 weeks or 6 months where they do a program just for you, and even go to the grocery store with you. You also meet with someone who has a degree in exercise physiology to train 2 times per week.

I am really torn, because I get so inspired by the weight loss that I have seen people talk about with VSG, but then I wonder with the PCOS and the hypothyroidism (which is only getting worse as I get older and my body destroys my thyroid and I have to go on higher doses of thyroid medicine as time goes on), if I will have all the wonderful results as what everyone else has had.

I did print out the paperwork for the surgeon I am going to, and he does have a specific section for PCOS. I don't know if they cover that in the informational seminar, or if that part is covered during the consult with the surgeon ( I don't know if you have to commit to anything prior to meeting with the surgeon).

Edited by lovesthebeach

hey love, I have pcos as well and while I'm still pre-op, my nutritionist and my surgeon and I have talked extensively about what effect pcos will have on my weight loss. My surgeon for one thinks that it shouldn't have an effect on my weight loss because of my age and other factors, but my nutritionist has warned me that having pcos will make it harder - not that I wont lose the weight but that I'll have to be prepared to work harder for it. It's sort of a double edged sword though, because they've both told me that this is pretty much the only reliable way that I can lose the weight, unfortunately.

Hi! I can't speak from the post op side but I also have PCOS. I have taken the diabetic tests where you drink the stuff but my sugar was normal, I don't think I've ever been officially tested for insulin resistance though. But, I can tell you that lower carb eating helps with PCOS weight loss and that's how you have to eat after the surgery. Now, with the hypothyroidism thrown in the mix that may be different. But, coming from someone with just regular old PCOS, who may or may not be insulin resistant, when I eat low carb, I drop the weight rapidly. My problem is that I can't stay eating that way for long because of the cravings and I gain all my weight back rapidly plus some every time. This is why I want the surgery. With the hunger help that the sleeve gives, I firmly believe that it will help me stick with a lower carb way of eating for the long term and end up helping the symptoms of PCOS that I am so sick of. I have been on Metformin before but hate taking so many pills and the side effects that it causes so I quit taking it and have just dealt with the PCOS straight on. I'm looking forward to those symptoms slowly disappearing and my system starting to act right because of the benefits of the sleeve.

I have PCOS and Insulin Resistant I have not had the sleeve yet but I am banded. Since I have been banded I have lost over 80lbs since 12/08 and my symptoms have gotten better. My cycle has been regular for about 8 months now. Not sure about the insulin resistance but I am sure things are doing great I can not eat pastas or bread so a lot of my carbs are cut. But I had a problem with my band and had it unfilled for about 2 months and boy the weight came back quick a little over 20lbs before I got my fill put back in. I

have decided to do the sleeve because of problems I have had and if I lose my band I can see the weight coming back plus some. Getting the sleeve to me just means I am done.

Kathy

I also have pcos & hashimotos thyroiditis I haven't had the surgery yet but im considering it. It would be amazing if someone that has had the surgery would chime in :)

Hello, I have pcos, and am pre-diabetic with no other diagnosis... Weight related.

I am weeks away from getting my surgery date. (Yay!) but in terms of how the sleeve effects pcos. For the last three years of asking this question, I learned that IF the sleeve effects your pcos it more often then not simply improves your symptoms. Although body hair stays.. But does not keep growing... Like the sleeve won't eliminate the body hair we get, but it will slow it down if not stop the growth. The biggest effect that has been reported is simply less menstral issues.

I know that having pcos does not effect how slow or fast you lose weight. Because this surgery is such a drastic shock to your body, the pcos does not have the strength or even time to slow you down. It is possible that after you reach your goal weight that it can bring up some questions and concerns then.. But ally doctors and people I have spoke with all agree that if pcos and it's side effects are the only thing you experience during and after surgery, than you my friend are the luckiest woman on the planet!

Of course all of this is a general answer, and it can always be different for everyone. But know that I thought about it too early on in my journey, and it's the least of my worries at this point. :)

Good luck.

Dylan

PCOS, thyroidism, insulin resistant here. I was sleeved 3/31. So far so good. My period came on after being missing since 12/2012.

I was recently diagnosed with pcos in december of 2013. I am on metformin and both my pcp, endocrinologist and surgeon suggested this is the only way i will be able to lose weight and keep it off and improve my pcos. I just got approved for surgery may 12 th is the date. YAY!! Once i am on the other side, i will post my experience but for now, this is all i have to give

i dont have PCOS, i have other hormonal imbalance issues that caused me a lot of problems pre surgery. now that i have lost 80 pounds, my hormone issues have pretty much disappeared. i dont know what the surgery's track record is with PCOS, but guessing similar results are likely. good luck!

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I have struggled with PCOS since I was about 11 years old. My weight has always been the BIGGEST issue I have had (although the abnormal Hair growth isn't great either). In the past 10 years the smallest I have been was 220lbs. and the largest was 311, after I had my son. I am hoping that the VSG will not only get me to a healthy weight, but also allow me to be a normal, energetic 25 year old. Lately, I have just been so tired. My weight has been stable for over a year and that's because of diet and light exercise. I just want the battle with PCOS and the weight to be over. I just hope that it doesn't slow down the weight loss with VSG!