Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Username says it all!

Ya know, it is only money and you can't take it with you : ) If you can afford it and it makes you more comfortable, then it is worth it. There are definitely pros and cons to every choice. Fortunately, it seems that the majority of people do just fine without a lot of post op care, but if something does happen, it would be nice to have that available.

That does sound like a reasonable price when you describe everything you get -- it's in the ballpark of what Drs. Cirangle and Jossart charge. And I also LOVE that my surgeon is 15 minutes from home. How many nights in the hospital?

:001_unsure: You think so! I'm guessing for everyone that has gone to Mexico, they have to pay to meet with someone back in the states for any post op check-ins. I know my regular nurse practioner is $120 a visit. Just to meet with her. What would you consider a years worth of post op appointments to cost?

I hope I'm not overspending! But I would pay so much more for an extended life!

Well, my program with our military insurance gives me full access to a nutritionist, and labs pulled at 3,6,9, 12 months out, then yearly labs are pulled. That is the standard procedure for all bariatric patients through our military hospital here in Florida. My surgeon likes to do a endoscopy between 9-12 months out, earlier if there are any issues. So, there is another anesthesia procedure plus the scope cost.

My PCP (is a civilian), and while he is not well-versed on VSG, I can easily go to him, have him pull my previous labs, or take him one of my copies, and have him pull my labs again if he thinks they need to be. I just dealt with this situation bc I've been having low blood pressure issues. Not really related to a complication of the VSG, it's essentially just my body trying to adjust to my drastic weight loss.

Also, there are several patients that dealt with severe nausea post-op. It hits some of us, and others aren't bothered by this. Everyone is different. I honestly think if you can be that close to home, have that follow up care, and love your surgeon, there is NO pricetag that you can give you that reassurance.

I'm super picky. You couldn't pay me to have this surgery, or any other major surgery, where they are removing 75% of a major organ in a "surgical clinic" without an ICU, and emergency facilities and capabilities on the premises.

A lot of PCPs are willing to do follow up labs for patients that travel to Mexico, but those labs can run patients without insurance a few hundred bucks. The labs we need pulled are more extensive than just a normal Chem 12 and CBC. So, the out of pocket cost can be astronomical.

You need to do what you feel best about. I have chosen MX and was able to get a weight loss center here to do my aftercare, but my best friend is choosing to stay here in the states. This is your body and your future. Do all your homework, and then make a decision that feels best to you, be positive that you will have the best possible outcome, and know that as your Mom sees you change she will become more and more supportive, but this is yours. You can do it.

Thank you all for your kind words! I do think I'm making the right decision with my surgeon. I once went to the Wonder bread store to pick up two loaves of bread because it was cheaper and faster then going to the grocery store. The point of this was to save money. Because this wasn't the normal way I went home, I got into an accident because I thought an intersection was a 4 way when it was not. This trip to save picking up bread cost me over $500 because of my insurance deductible.

I don't want to go to Mexico because its cheaper, just to save money. I have done that in the past and it ended up costing me more. :) I think I will stay with my surgeon, and have faith that everything will go as planned.

Thank you!

Kara

Thank you for your replies. When I asked my doctor about WLS she recommened the surgeon that I'm going to, as well as another in Milwaukee. I live in GB where my surgeon is so it only made sense. He hasn't been doing sleeves very long, but has been performing other WLS. He has been at the facility he currenlty works at since 1999 and ONLY performs bariatric surgery. He doesn't specialize in anything else like some other surgeons.

Tifykins, why on earth did your leak cost 300K, that seems so outrageous. How long were you in the hospital from it? My question for you, did they do a leak check while in the hospital? When did you know you had a leak?

My surgeon does oversew the staple line. Did yours? I guess these are things to take into consideration. I know I'm going to do the surgery. I'm not going to back out, and I'm not going to find a different one.

Tifykins, you were a high risk going in because you were a revison. He did say to me that I am as low risk as he has seen because I don't have any other health concerns and I have my youth going for me. I think I just need to keep telling myself that. He wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true right?

So now, I'm only 34 days away! I'm 19 days away from my preop appointment! I think they'll give me my preop diet at that time so I'm so looking forward to the liquid diet! :smile:

I know I can do it! I'm the type of person who likes to challenge myself and I always strive to reach my goals! Its very important to me!

I'm still very scared though! We'll see as it gets closer. I might need to take something over the counter for anxiety! Do they have anything out there for that? :smile1:

Kara

Kara,

Hi, I'm in Wisconsin too, and am traveling to Dallas for sleeve surgery. I talked to doctor's offices in Milwaukee, Marshfield and Wausau, but the self pay cost is so much more here than it is in the south for some reason. The lady I spoke to in Milwaukee said she knew health care here was more and couldn't explain it. Anyway, I am going to Dr. James Davidson, he is at a Center of Excellence and the cash price is $12,510. I'm headed there next month for the seminar and the following day they are allowing me to do what is usually the two week pre-op appointment, then I'll be traveling back in June for surgery on June 11th. Another doctor that is highly recommended in the Dallas area is Dr. Nick Nicholson, his price is about $200 less than Dr. Davidson's cost. The benefit of going to Dr. Nick is you would only need to be in town for a one week follow up appointment I believe, and with Dr. Davidson, he wants to see you at one week and then again at two weeks. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!!!

Kara

Good luck with your up coming surgery!! You have made your choice and you will not be sorry!! The sleeve is such an easy change in your life. I wish you a happy surgery, fast healing and even faster losing!!