Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice from experienced bandsters

I was banded the end of February and had one fill in April. 1.2 cc in a 4cc band. If I eat certain foods like bread or things not chewed well they stick right away and cause lots of pain and I have PB'd several times. BUT...if I eat soft foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, Soup, refried Beans, etc I can eat a LOT! They don't stay in my pouch at all and run right through. I went to Mexican restaurant and easily ate a whole chili relleno, refried beans, rice (which I try to avoid), and chips and salsa. No problem. But it seems like it should be a problem! I read about people who eat 3-4 bites and they are full. Not me! Do I need another fill? I'm not that experienced yet so please give me your advice.

I definintely find that if I eat "harder" to eat foods like bread, then I get fuller more quickly and stay full for simply ages.

This is my own personal non proven, non medically sanctioned theory on band management 101:

I think that the sweet spot is actually the spot which still allows you to eat these foods, not the spot at which you eat so little food in total that you lose weight. Personally I think what you're aiming for is a spot where if you eat a meal say consisting of a piece of steak and some steamed veges or a salad sandwich, you'll get full quickly and stay full. If you PB on that you're too tight.

If to get those foods in you have to resort to eating easier forms of them, then you're a bit too tight and are really "eating around your band".

of course when your band is loose enough to allow you to eat steak and bread, you may also be able to eat too much of easier to eat foods. Its just up to you not to.

If you elect to have your band tight enough that you can not eat steak or bread and cannot overeat easier to eat foods you are placing yourself at risk of complications such as slippage or erosion.

Please everybody dont let this start a war. Its just how I see it and choose to approach it for myself. Like I said its not medically proven or anything (and makes no concession to just how sensitive some people's bodies are to their bands), just how I choose to use my band. Feel free to disagree!

What Jacqui said, I think. Except that steak would have been difficult for me, except when mostly unfilled AND unless it was a really good filet mignon or prime rib...but a New York or such would have been too "stringy" for me.

You wrote, "BUT...if I eat soft foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, Soup, refried Beans, etc I can eat a LOT! They don't stay in my pouch at all and run right through." That's right. Those are the foods that DO NOT help you lose weight with the band, precisely because they DO move on through. I think that if someone is "getting full" on three bites of these foods, they have have a band that is too tight or another problem.

Have you considered stuff like stewed dark meat chicken, or nuked or baked fish, or meatball-type stuff (without a lot of breadcrumbs in the meatball mix), other meat that is cooked for a very long time and it's still "solid" but not tough enough to plug things up?

I agree with both Jacqui and Sue. The soft stuff will allow you to eat too much, and things like bread and dry meats are known to be problematic to bandsters. A couple of foods that I would suggest you try are the frozen Gorton's fish fillets. They are very juicy and very tasty. Two fillets are only 200 calories and have 34 grams of Protein.

Also, try cooking meats in a crockpot. I toss frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with a couple of cans of sweet n sour sauce and put it on high for the day. If I dip each bite in the sauce it makes it juicy enough to eat with no problems. I also cook roasts in the crockpot, only adding some beef broth and lots of seasonings. I cook it until it comes off in shreds.

You probably have pretty good restriction. Just try focusing on foods that will give you good hard Protein, then add in some veggies and fruits. I think you'll find yourself satisfied with smaller amounts and enjoying your meals more.

Thanks a million. I'm still a baby at this. I also think I don't chew enough, which was a problem even before I got the band. You are right that stewed meats work pretty well. I will concentrate on stewed meats, fish (which has worked pretty well), fruits and veggies. It's funny that I can't eat a piece of bread but I can eat raw veggies with no problem. O f course that's a good thing!