Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Eating Eating

Scedhuled for easter week in April. Seeing cardiologist today. My psych was cancelled because of the snow and been cooped up in this house for 5 days due to the snowstorms back to back and everything was closed. Today is my first day out. All tests are done. No pre-surgery doctor supervised diet necessary as far as insurance BUT: I have been eating non stop for days and all my pants are tight. i feel the stress of the upcoming surgery. Am I the only one who feels uncertain about whther or not I can do this or not? I am so freaked about it. I have not been able to control my eating for all these days cooped in and I am usually so active. I go to the gym and run around like a crazy person. What does everyone do when they can't get away from it? Will I just not be hungry. I start with healthy things but by the end of the day I don't care what it is. I am usually somuch more controlled than this. What if I can't do it? Crap!:lol0:

You can and will do it. The sleeve will definitely help control those urges. I, too, have been cooped up for a week due to gallbladder surgery, and the crappy weather we're having in Florida. I have been "snacking" a little more than normal, and I haven't been eating all that well since surgery. BUT, the sleeve is keeping me out of the fridge and pantry.

hey Tiff, thanks for that. I am so over the top about this that I cannot even speak to my husband or I'll cry. My depression seems so outa control too lately. Been on meds for 20 years and stable for the most part. Exceptional stress usually sends me over the edge for a short while but I am crying a lot lately and know it is from fear of not succeeding. Good thing I am not telling anyone!

hey Tiff, thanks for that. I am so over the top about this that I cannot even speak to my husband or I'll cry. My depression seems so outa control too lately. Been on meds for 20 years and stable for the most part. Exceptional stress usually sends me over the edge for a short while but I am crying a lot lately and know it is from fear of not succeeding. Good thing I am not telling anyone!

Have you tried to find a support group near you that you can attend pre-op? I know several people swear that going to support groups help them with the emotional aspect of this journey. If I had any history of depression or anxiety, I would of sought more counseling because it can be very stressful. There are a lot of hormones, and changes that happen throughout this entire process.

It is a bit of mindtwist, and it does seem overwhelming. But, when I'm asked from pre-ops what to do to prepare for this surgery, the first thing I tell them is to get mentally fit and prepared for all the changes. For me, my positive outlook, and sheer determination to succeed really helped get me through the tough times.

There are no pre-surgery groups unless you are having it at the local hospital. I am joining a post op support group that is weekly and know I will need it. Been in therapy on and off over the years but maybe now is a good time to go back and get a little outside support from an un-interested 3rd party. I will schedule an appt for that. Scheduled my stress test and that is the end of it. Surgery tentatively scheduled for week of April 5.

I had a three month wait for my surgery due to postponement for financial reasons. I spent a lot of that time stress eating because I was incredibly anxious about the operation. I had to spend January taking that weight off. I found a competent pyschologist and that helped me to work through my fear. I think that the important thing to remember is that you don't have binge on foods that you think you'll never have again in an amount that is emotionally comforting. You do crave them now but once you are sleeved that intense yearning will be gone and it is OK emotionally not to have them. People who have the sleeve longer than me can speak to this better.

Good Luck!

Pennie

Thanks. I am making an appt. for a therapist I have seen for a few years and took a break. It is not event he amounts I am eating. It is mostly healthy just way too much and constant. I start with oranges, cott cheese, yogust, crackers with cheese and just prgress to anything. Like a 1/2 pound of roasted tomatoes. Stuff just to fill my brain. I don't keep any junk food in the house but it is still food. I want to hurryt his up. I could never do the 3-6 month doctor thing! The surgeon told us at the seminar that a good percentage pf people don't go thru with it after 6 months of dieting. They just give up. I am lucky. Street test on the 24th and the Psych the next day and I am done. see the nutritionist 2 weeks before surgery, and hopefully April 5-6 is the day. I need to get our of the house. I am so over the snow already! My enrire back is purple from my last fall on the ice.