Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I do now?

I am new to this site... I have been reading the postings and the support everyone has been giving for some time.. Well I need some support..

I have thought about lap band for some time.. went thru all of the pre testing..was approved and scheduled for surgery..went in for surgery ( April 24th) the surgery started out fine but then there was a complication and I started to bleed. My spleen tore during the surgery. My Dr. is the best in the area so I do not think he is the cause of this.(I did my research on him, this was the first case that he has had this happen to) .. he apologized to my hubby and to my family and said it is something that just happened. During surgery they removed my spleen ( you can live without one.. it is for reproducing blood cells and it helps fight off infections) Since this was a major surgery.. I was off work for 6 weeks now I am off work 1 more week..

For the rest of my life I have to watch what I do and who I am around. I have to take flu shot, phenonimona shot and menigitis shots every 3-5 years the rest of my life. I have to use purex gel like crazy.. to make sure I do not get germs from money, doors, getting gas, etc...

The Dr did not proceed with the lap band because of the bleeding and he did not want any infection to set in because of the amount of blood. He did tell me I can try again in 2-3 months for surgery.. to allow my body to heal.. My hubby is not happy with the thought of doing it again.. I am about 85% that I want to continue with it.. I went in to have it done.. and had visions of a thinner me.. and now I am back where I started but without an organ...I want to do the lap band, but I have a concern of infection around the port... Is this common? My Dr said he would put me on antibiotics prior to surgery and then after, just to make sure. My Dr has already given me antibiotics now just in case I get the signs of ANY infection or cold like symptoms..

I am still trying to figure out what to do:help:

Bless your heart! What an experience! I'm really sorry you had to endure this and still not get your band. I can't tell you one way or the other. It's a very personal decision. Just know that we all care and hope that everything works out the way you hope it to! Be well!!

Thanks for the support.. I know it is my own decission.. but I am still trying to figure that out.. I am about 85% sure I will do it.. but I am scared of an infection.. that is why I want to see how many people with bands have had any infection.. I have read postings that talked about the port moving.. and pain at their ports.. but was that normal.. or was it an infection?

MANY people live without their spleens and do just fine. Tonsils are another organ that aid in fighting off infection and tons of people live fine without them. I doubt you would have any problems moving forward with the lapband surgery but it has to be your decision. Good luck.

It sounds like your main concern is port infection. I really think you need to talk to your doctor and get his statistics, we cant tell you if you are at an increased risk for infection or not.....he can. Good luck with whatever course you decide on.

What a mess! I'm sorry that happened to you! Do hope you didn't have to pay for all that!!

Thank god for a low out of pocket expense I have to pay.. so with this mess up I have now met that limit.. so if I do decide to do the surgery..It will be free to me!!:(

My concern is not if I am at a greater risk for infection( I am not) but has any one had an infection.. and what are the signs..

you poor thing! I know that many people live quite nicely without their spleens, but so sorry you have to be one of them!

I agree with the others, you should talk with your doc about his infection statistics. I honestly don't know what the greater stats are, but you might check out the Inamed's site as well. Please do a search on port infections and see what you come up with. Keep in mind that as a support board we will probably have a much higher incidence of problems than your specific surgeon or with Inamed.

Take care, and keep in touch!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches