Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had 1st fill......questions...

I had 1cc put into my 10cm/4cc band yesterday. Though I don't feel restriction and can still eat as much as I want (he did not put me on liquids this time), I do feel a strange sensation in the back of my throat after I eat. It's almost like acid, but I don't have the regular heartburn sensations to go along with it. Common sense tells me this may have been from overeating......if so, that's a good thing because now I have a reason without restriction to eat less. I had severe acid reflux before being banded I don't ever want to go there again.

Anyone else had this with 1st fill.....or actually anytime?

1 more question...........My Doc will be out of town so I can't have a fill for another 6 weeks. he usually does them at 4....would it be ok if I have no restriction, to call and ask for one at 3 instead?

Thanks Everyone!

Michele

Hey Michelle, I wonder why they wouldnt have you do liquids for at least a day? Anyway, I was just recently filled, (may 16) so I'm very new at that, but I've heard that sometimes people won't feel the effects for 2 wks from a fill. I would wait that time to allow your body to make adjustments. Also if your doc is going out of town right after if you have a 2nd fill at 3 then that may not be good if you have any complications or need a possible refill. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

No, he's making me wait until 6 weeks because he will be out of town between weeks 4-5. He WILL be here in 3 weeks, so I may see if I can get in at 3 if I have no restriction then.

Michele,

I just had my first fill on May 19th and I have been experiencing a similar feeling.

When I eat certain foods, more solid foods, I get this lump feeling in my thought that lasts for a while. It is not a full feeling in my stomach, just a feeling in my throat.

I called my doctor thinking that maybe I was too restricted and was told to wait about a week or two. The reason was because the stomach needs to re-adjust to the new restriction. If it doesn't get better by then, he recommended that I come back to get some of the fill taken out.

Hope things get better.

Debbie

It's not really a lumpy feeling for me...it's almost like acid reflux that doesn't make it all the way up. I even woke up with a sore throat the next day. Yesterday, I ate much, much less and it wasn't there as bad. I guess it's my band talking to me....telling me to stop eating so much at one time...LOL!

You'll definitely have new sensations. And I understand the 'acid' sensation. The true test is this, can you swallow liquids okay? How are things going at night when you lay down? If you have ANY problem at all with nighttime reflux or waking up choking/aspirating in your sleep. Get thee to a doctor immediately!

If you are able to swallow liquids okay now ( use warm liquids too, it helps) and begin to move back into solids (hard proteins) with no problem. Then you're probably doing okay. Unfortunately, my litmus test for a fill has become whether I can sleep at night with no issues. For the past year, I have been unable to get a fill without having reflux problems. :grouphug:

Like you, if I felt NO restriction by week 3. I'd ask for another fill, but not until then. Usually by about 2 weeks, you'll have a pretty good feel for how much restriction you got out of your last fill. Also, don't just count only how you 'feel' restricted, but discern how you're doing scale-wise. If you are eating less, feeling full faster and actually losing weight. There is no need whatsoever to become more restricted. Less restriction is actually safer for your band and esophagus.

Check out this link for the questions to answer before having a band adjustment. http://bigolalaskan.com/lapband/fills.htm

That was a great site....you should post it.

I haven't actually lost any weight in weeks now. I keep bouncing up and down 5 lbs.

On my low days, I am 1 lb. away from onederland. I guess that's my mini goal for now. I get so close, then within two days I bounce back up 5 lbs. It's very depressing.

I am following band rules which I just started really doing 100%, and I eat the right amounts, but I can honestly say I am not full and I could definitely eat more.