Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pondering Question to ask...

Hi,

My name is Ada and I'm from Montreal, Quebec. I finally saw my surgeon for a consult in December and am officially on the waiting list for the VSG!!(Wait can be 12-18 months!!)

I do know and understand the surgical procedure behind the VSG and how the surgery is restrictive and as well lowers Grhelin levels which stimulates hunger.

My question is this: Every one (most) who has had the surgery states that they can only "eat" drink" a certain amount. How does your body/stomach react? How do you feel? Is it painful if you eat too much? Do you feel like throwing up? What is it that stops you from bringing that fork up to your mouth?

The reason I'm asking is that if it is simply getting a "full" feeling after eating it propably wouldn't really work because even now I do feel full but eat anyway and that is what packed on the pounds.

Am looking forward to hearing from anyone who can shed some light on this question for me!

Thanks for reading and a big hug from your Canadian Friend!! :blush:

I was a pure volume eater before surgery. Meaning, I would eat 3 large pieces of pizza, and would be full but I would go back for more. The sleeve has changed my outlook and relationship with food. I no longer need or want to eat huge amounts of food. I still love food, I love to eat, I just make better choices.

To answer your specific questions:

How does your body/stomach react? Early on, you can only take small sips of Fluid because the stomach is swollen, and irritated. As the weeks progress, you can consume more Fluid in shorter amount of time. In the beginning, the fluid going in, kind of feels weird, I burped a lot after each sip and that lasted a couple of weeks. But, it dissipated as time moved forward.

How do you feel? When you overeat, you know it. There is discomfort, you may overprodcue saliva, and that's pretty gross. Vomitting as I knew it before surgery is not the same anymore, and hasn't happened to me in months. But, I have had one bite too many, it kind of creeps back up the esophagus, and I spit it out. There is no wretching, gagging, or trying to get something up.

Is it painful if you eat too much? I would have to say it can be painful depending on your pain tolerance. It does cause discomfort which can be relieved by walking around, or burping sometimes.

Do you feel like throwing up? It's not the same as needing to vomit. But, it can happen if you are not aware of what you are putting in your mouth.

What is it that stops you from bringing that fork up to your mouth? The feeling of being satisfied when I eat small portions. There isn't any room in my stomach for any additional food.

Overeating constantly can cause issues such as esophageal dilation, and excessive vomiting which can lead to other health problems.

I had already had figured out the learning curve with eating because I had the band first then revised to the sleeve.

Eating slow, chewing well, enjoying your food, and measuring your portions early out until you can "eyeball" stuff is a great way to keep yourself in check with portion size. I used the little 1 ounce measurement cups that comes with children's OTC medication.

Hello Tiffykins and thank-you for taking the time to respond to me in such detail.

Your explanations and answers to my questions cleared up many things for me and for that I thank-you.

I know that I have made the right decision in deciding to do the surgery and am looking forward to beginning this new chapter in my life.

I was just wondering if the 122lbs. you lost was all from the VSG or a combination with your previous lap-band? BTW I took a look at your photos and you look wonderful and truly very happy!! Congratulations to your success!!

Again many thanks!

Ada

Thank you Ada.

I initially lost 23-25lbs with my band, then complications started, lost restriction, husband deployed, and I started gaining back my weight. I started off at 270 with the band, the day of my revision, I weighed in at 263. So, I technically only lost 7 pounds with the band.

I've lost 114-115 with just the sleeve in about 6.5 months.

This is actually One of the questions I had too. I EAT.I don't have very low self esteem, and I dont feel like my overeating is s coping mechanism. I just eat, and eat and eat. If I like something I eat it. If Im bored I eat. I swear my stomach must be stretched to the size of a 2 liter bottle down there. I can even sometimes recognize,"Hey Im full." I still ignore it and stuff my face. What Is it that makes you STOP eating in your head. I think I have had the feeling once in my life.

Ill give you an example of the only time I can remember something I can compare it too. A long while ago I was on phentermine (popular prescription diet pill). That is the only time I can ever remember the absolute I AM NOT HUNGRY feeling. Is it the same as that? Are you just not hungry and kinda forcing yourself to eat and then your body finally adjusts?

This is all over the place but I saw a jumping off point in the thread,

Tiffany

This is actually One of the questions I had too. I EAT.I don't have very low self esteem, and I dont feel like my overeating is s coping mechanism. I just eat, and eat and eat. If I like something I eat it. If Im bored I eat. I swear my stomach must be stretched to the size of a 2 liter bottle down there. I can even sometimes recognize,"Hey Im full." I still ignore it and stuff my face. What Is it that makes you STOP eating in your head. I think I have had the feeling once in my life

Ill give you an example of the only time I can remember something I can compare it too. A long while ago I was on phentermine (popular prescription diet pill). That is the only time I can ever remember the absolute I AM NOT HUNGRY feeling. Is it the same as that? Are you just not hungry and kinda forcing yourself to eat and then your body finally adjusts?

This is all over the place but I saw a jumping off point in the thread,

Tiffany.

For me, it's not like I don't have an appetite, I'm just not hungry. I eat because I know I need to eat, and stop when I'm full. I wasn't really a big emotional eater before surgery either. I just loved food, and I still love food.

The sleeve just helps me make better choices and controls my portions. I still don't get hungry like before surgery. I have an appetite especially when I'm cooking, but I no longer find myself raiding the fridge and pantry.

Tiffykins...your weight loss is amazing to say the least but I don't think that this is common for all or most VSG patients.

I've read a bit of your blog and you had some "hiccups" along the way so I'm thinking that that in itself caused more weight loss than the norm.

How about exercise? Truth be told i am not big on exercise but I feel that the main problem for me is the terrible pain in my knees even if I walk a very short distance. I would love to be able to do the things I once use to (jogging, weight traing...etc) but that was in my early 20's and I am now 46 and can hardly walk half a block...sorry for the "sob story" but I am concerned about the physical activity that I will have to do post-op...

Tiffykins...your weight loss is amazing to say the least but I don't think that this is common for all or most VSG patients.

I've read a bit of your blog and you had some "hiccups" along the way so I'm thinking that that in itself caused more weight loss than the norm.

How about exercise? Truth be told i am not big on exercise but I feel that the main problem for me is the terrible pain in my knees even if I walk a very short distance. I would love to be able to do the things I once use to (jogging, weight traing...etc) but that was in my early 20's and I am now 46 and can hardly walk half a block...sorry for the "sob story" but I am concerned about the physical activity that I will have to do post-op...

I admit that my complications contributed to my success to some degree, but moreso was my sheer determination to maximize the first 4 months post-op diet.

My first 2.5 weeks post-op, I was force fed 1800 calories a day via a pic line in my arm. I was super strict on carb intake, and progressed my diet slowly.

So, yes, my complications contributed, but there are plenty of VSG patients that didn't have complications who have lost 100 pounds within 6-7 months by following the program. It may not be the norm, but it's NOT impossible either. It's all in how a patient uses their tool. I chose to use it to maximum potential. Yes, my husband was deployed, so there was a little added stress there. I missed my husband, but my main focus was my health and recovery.

I try really hard to not take it personally when people attempt to blame complications rather than recognizing that I actually had to do some of the work to get where I am today. I'm not saying that is what you are saying, Gabriella, but it's just tough sometimes.

I have admitted I had times where I had difficulties with food, nausea, but I didn't get off track. My surgeon was baffled with my loss, but then once labs, and another ct scan was done, nothing was found that caused alarm to make him think I was starving myself, or was malnourished.

While I was hospitalized in July, I ordered chinese take out, and eat beef broccoli, and chicken on a stick while hospitalized. Hospital food just sucks. Grant it, I didn't eat a lot, but to this day I still eat small portions, and watch my intake pretty closely. My labs have been perfect and I honestly believe if I was malnourished, or if my complications were the main reason behind my success I'm fairly sure my labs would of read something completely different.

Sorry for the rant of sorts.

As for working out, my chronic knee pain has subsided. I didn't work out for 5 months post-op. All I did was walk and use the Wii EA Active Sports with the resistance band. I now work out 4 days a week with one day of bowling for 2-3 hours a week. I mainly do strength training, and one day of heavy cardio to build muscle, burn the flab.

Edit to Add: Another member here, Rosebud2, had her surgery 1 week before mine, and she just hit 101 pounds lost with zero complications, and if I remember correctly her BMI was lower than mine, and so is her goal weight. There are several of the male members who also lost 100+ pounds in less than 6 months with zero complications. Yes, men typically lose faster than women. It's a stickler topic for me, and like I said I really try to not take it personal, but I worked my butt off to lose this weight, and would like to be able to not give all the credit to some complications that hindered my recovery.

Edited by Tiffykins

Tiffy gave you healthy answers. I'm not as far out as she so please consider this. After the surgery, after the liquid and mushy food period most of us are really only able to eat a very small amount of food. There is just so little room for the volume of food as we were used to consuming to fit. If your new stomach is 3 or 4 oz than that is about all you'll be able to get in and even that takes tiny steps. In my opinion things radically change and you need to be psychologically prepared for this change because once done there is no undoing it. Unlike Tiff I have a very narrow scope of what I can eat because since the surgery I dislike so many foods especially sweet things. Even crunchy textures and my former favorite cheeses seem to be history. I have lost all desire for chocolate, coffee, vanilla, strawberry. I haven't the slightest desire for a banana, orange, tangerine, apple, no fruit. I have been able to only drink one flavor Vitamin Water (tropical citrus) all the others which I formerly enjoyed sicken me...even plain water nauseates me. I weighed 132 pre surgery, lost 15lbs on the pre surgery diet and now I'm at 170. I am glad you are asking questions like this it is VERY important that you are prepared because life and relationship with food will change radically. I wish you all the best.

I try really hard to not take it personally when people attempt to blame complications rather than recognizing that I actually had to do some of the work to get where I am today. I'm not saying that is what you are saying, Gabriella, but it's just tough sometimes. (Sorry not sure how to do the quote app. so I just copy/paste)

Tiffykins...Just to clarify things a bit...I never intended to insinuate that your weight loss was due to your medical complications. I just didn't want to be aiming for something that may/may not happen to me therefore not getting similar results.I simply wanted clarification and I felt that it was OK to ask you since you seem very open and honest about what you have been through.I'm truly sorry if it came off differently.

I think though that after hearing that other people had similar success as you, I feel that large weight loss in a short period of time with VSG is possible. Thank-you to all who took the time to answer.

Ada

Tiffy you have rocked every part of your sleeve. And when people follow your advise they get great results as well.

Ada, I am just a month post surgery tomorrow, and I can really relate to your question because I am still struggling with it. I am one of the "lucky" people who has had no problems with food since the surgery whatsoever. Everything tastes good to me (no changes in my tastebuds), no foods have bothered me yet, I have not had nausea or thrown up once. I am actually a bit worried because I fear I may not have such great success because I feel so normal. I kind of wish I weren't so "lucky"!

But I can tell you what the full feeling is - although it's taken me a while to figure it out. As you are eating, all of a sudden you just feel totally stuffed, as if there is literally no where else for the food to go. You really cannot fit another bite in your mouth, or rather down your throat - and believe me, I have been trying. For the first time in my life, I actually have to leave something over on my plate, even though I have been taking much smaller portions.

But there are still the struggles of the old habits which die hard, and that is eating the naughty stuff like cakes and chocolate and other sweet stuff. And that's where the real will power comes in - because even though I won't be able to down a whole chocolate cake in one sitting anymore, I still have to learn not to even start if I want to have results like Tiffy. To lose 122 pounds, Tiffy has had to watch herself and what goes into her mouth very carefully.

I just told my friend the other day that unfortunately the sleeve surgery doesn't come along with a lobotomy - I mean cutting out the part of the brain that makes me eat the wrong things. But hopefully, with the help of my sleeve, I will slowly learn to change my habits.

I'm amazed at how this surgery affects people differently. At 4+ months out I still can not tolerate sweets, like Cookies, cakes, any baked goods whatsoever. Even fresh fruit turns me right off. I no longer can even drink most beverages not even a cup of hot cocoa. Nearly every flavor and texture just sickens me. I feel like I had a lobotomy along with the sleeve actually and it really is disurbing.