Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am FREEZING

Okay, I now the weather is frigid outside, but I can NOT seem to get warm, especially in my extremities. I am working from home today, fully dressed (long sleeved shirt, pants, socks, shoes, sweater) sitting at the table with my legs wrapped up in a blanket, the fire place on, heat set to 72 and my hair dryer blowing hot hair on my hands as I work on my laptop. My husband says our house is warm - I'm just not. I figure my body has basically decided it isn't generating any additional heat, its conserving what energy it has. It's basically telling me, "you starve me, I'll freeze you" - it doesn't want to use the extra energy stores (aka fat).

I have never before wished for 100 degree days in Texas, but I am wishing for them now. Sorry for the rant.

Edited by i1Linda

I am cold often now also. I figure it is getting used to having less insulation. I complained to my Dr. and he is running a check on my thyroid just in case.

I try and wear layers. Cliche I know but it really helps. A $4 tank top from Wally World under my shirt warms me right up. My feet on the other hand..... I have taken to putting a blanket over them at work. I have been known to wear the cheap $1 gloves at work. Slippery to type in though. For home I bought a heated matteress

pad. That thing is like heaven.

Funny you mention the $1 gloves - I have a pair right here. I couldn't type with them on, so I went an got my hair dryer. I'm sure I look funny all bundled up, in the house, with the hair dryer blowing hot air on my hands, but I am tired of being COLD. I had my blood work completed in November and all was well. I may mention it to my Dr and see if they have any thoughts. I really think my body is just conserving energy - trying to be more efficient (maybe I can qualify for the energy savings tax credit:lol0:).

I'm right there with you. I stay in my recliner with the heat and massage on with not 1, but 2, fleece blankets thrown over me.

Our thermostat has been on 75 for the last 2-3 weeks. The guys get hot, but I tell them to take off clothes while I layer, layer, and layer some more.

Ok Girls, I am not a sleeve person, YET! But I do have a lap-band. I hear you on the cold fingers when typing. Good thing about those $1 gloves, you can cut the fingertips off so then you can type! Works like a charm and my finger are warm now!

I agree, when I lost the 200 lb with the band I was CONSTANTLY cold...especially in resturants or the movies---I still bring my blanket to the movies. I would order hot chocolate for my drink...that is one part I'm not looking forward too again.

I have frozen also. I think it may finally be getting a little better. I was just sleeved Dec 29 so I thought it was just because I was not eating much *(drinking). I knew it was really something the other night when I went to bed w long johns under my pjs and a vest on over the top, wool socks and gloves!

Okay, I now the weather is frigid outside, but I can NOT seem to get warm, especially is my extremities. I am working from home today, fully dressed (long sleeved shirt, pants, socks, shoes, sweater) sitting at the table with my legs wrapped up in a blanket, the fire place on, heat set to 72 and my hair dryer blowing hot hair on my hands as I work on my laptop. My husband says our house is warm - I'm just not. I figure my body has basically decided it isn't generating any additional heat, its conserving what energy it has. It's basically telling me, "you starve me, I'll freeze you" - it doesn't want to use the extra energy stores (aka fat).

I have never before wished for 100 degree days in Texas, but I am wishing for them now. Sorry for the rant.

How I can totally relate! My feet and hands are always FROZEN!!!! I have never been one to be cold, always sweating constantly. . . now i have on sweaters, socks, slippers, sweatpants and winter pullovers. . . and still am cold. . . at class yesterday, the nutritionist did say that bariatric patients are always cold in the beginning . . and it doesn't help that San Antonio (as I'm sure the rest of the country) is freezing like no ones business. . . tonight its going to 16F!!!!!!! That is ludicris. . . . :confused:

With the wind chill factor, it's been like -15 to -20 degrees all week here. :scared0:I thought maybe I was going crazy...glad to know there's a reason I'm cold besides just the weather. I used to never get cold & I'm only 4 days out! :biggrin0:

I was always hot before surgery too. When I started the presurgery diet, and was losing weight fast, I became cold...and I'm still cold.

My theory is the body metabolism slows down because it thinks is starving. I am 3 1/2 months post surgery and I am still cold. I wear wool socks, 3 layers of clothes, and sometimes even a hat. It's one I got years ago in Alaska, and it makes me laugh when I put it on because that's where I feel like I am...especially these past few days. It's supposed to be 17 degrees with the wind chill here in Southwest Louisiana tonight.

I can deal with the cold in exchange for all the weight loss! I am stoked...it is hard to believe.

At our family christmas dinner, as people arrived I noticed everyone looking at me with that look that says...hmmmm...something is different...but no one "got it". So I did not tell them. Mischievous me!

Next time they see me, I think they will realize, because I can now see that I have cheek bones in my face...(and I feel "cheek" bones when I sit. Lots of NSV's. :blink::thumbup::thumbup:

i am cold all of the time. i stay in a jacket, socks, blankets, 72 degrees on the thermostat. when i go out now i have two coats, scarf and gloves. i have never worn this many clothes in all of my life. crazyyyyyyyyyy.

i don't understand it!!!

Ok Girls, I am not a sleeve person, YET! But I do have a lap-band. I hear you on the cold fingers when typing. Good thing about those $1 gloves, you can cut the fingertips off so then you can type! Works like a charm and my finger are warm now!

Omg that might one of the smartest things I have ever seen posted on this board. Good idea!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm cold too - especially when going to bed at night. I started doing five minutes on the elliptical machine before bed, it sort of got my circulation going and made it a little better.

I feel you guys. I am ALWAYS cold now. I was always super HOT! Even during winter. You would NEVER catch me with a coat on. Now I had to go buy a goose down one. Granted I live in Los Angeles, we have pretty nice weather all year round, but I am ALWAYS freezing. This is insane. Figured it had to be because I didnt have as much padding anymore :-D