Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Does The Sliming Last????

OK. SO I THOUGHT I WAS HUNGRY. I REALLY DID. MY STOMACH WAS GURGLING, HUNGER PANGS... THE WHOLE WORKS. I WAS LIKE, OK, I ATE VERY LITTLE AT lunch, I COULD VERY WELL BE HUNGRY. I ORDERED A SIDE OF chicken AT A TERIYAKI PLACE. THERE WERE SEVERAL STRIPS; VERY MOIST AND TENDER LOOKING. I BIT ONE. CHEWED RELIGIOUSLY. ONE STRIP, K? SIZE OF MY THUMB. STARTED ON THE PB <very mild one at that> BUT THE SPIT AND SLIME... GEEZ. OK, I GET IT.

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST??? ITS BEEN ALMOST AN HOUR!! :help:

Basically, it'll last until whatever is in the way, isn't in the way anymore. In my case, sometimes sliming will push through whatever is there. Sometimes I slime for a while, and then EVENTUALLY PB and the problem is solved.

SOMETIMES I will take a tiny sip of something carbonated, and somehow the bubbles work their way around whatever is there and help it move. I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training, but this is something I do, that might help. (I also wasn't told to stay away from diet sodas, so it depends on your doctor).

Some people have papaya enzyme tablets that they chew, and some people use meat tenderizer.

Good luck!

so UNTIL it goes away. i see. i took a sip of some diet snapple. little itty bit hoping it would 'wash' it down. no can do. the funny thing is, i friend of mine came to my office with her lunch. i had a few of her beef strips. was sorta afraid of eating it but it was great. no problems at all. last night i had A calimari, button mushrooms, little bits of bread crust. all was fine and this was after a relatively aggressive fill. so this afternoon...<slime>

im ok now. little sore, but not bad. thanks!

Hey - glad you're feeling better. Just passing along my 2 cents. For the past 2 months I've been suffering through a very tight fill. Slimes were a daily occurrence. Then the PB's started for 3 days in a row... so I had my band checked and it was fine - but there was hardly anything going through. So I had a .3 unfill and it has made all the difference in the world! I can now eat without sliming and no sign of PB's. I can eat pretty much normal foods - breads still aren't great, but all else so far seems ok. I can't tell you how relieved I am. I thought what I had was good restriction and that was how it was supposed to be --- and I was afraid to get an unfill and lose restriction. They told me that slimes are a sure sign that the band is too tight. Of course if you don't chew well, then that's a different story, but if you're chewing well, then this shouldn't happen regularly. Wish I would have done this sooner... it's been a hard two months and sub-optimal weight loss since I was eating stuff that would go down but that was not necessarily good for me. Just want you to know that it doesn't have to be this hard.

you've lost over 40lbs. today i read a post about someone who had lost over 50lbs and they were just banded in april. that is a great big WOW and a WTG. im just at 15lbs and was banded on 3/23. im a turtle. excersise is going to help big time. had hip bursitis but physical therapy has definately helped. sorry about your bad two months. my dr is only 10 minutes away and fills <and unfills> are free <yeah, right> for the first year. i will not suffer that long now that i know its not normal. im thinking that the chicken was just not lubed enough. *sigh*. live and learn... and again... and again. :)

wyldvelia,

Heres a heads up for you - be very careful with scrambled eggs. I slimed and PB'd for six hours on 2 small bites chewed very very carefully. I'm three months post op and don't even have a fill! Apparently scrambled eggs are difficult for a lot of people. The patient advocate in my doctors office told me that the Protein in eggs, when quickly heated to a high temperature, a la scrambling, turns into dry, solid, blocks. The perfect recipe for a PB!

Conversely, I've had no problem with eggs done over-easy or hard boiled and made into egg salad.

Between us we may have solved the age old question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? For you it was the chicken, for me it was the egg!

I'm convinced that scrambled eggs are satan's food of choice. LOL

Restriction can vary a lot even in one day just from natural changes in Water retention and hydration. I never know if I will be able to eat 1 cup of food, or twice that, until I am in the process of eating.

I get at least half of my daily Protein with my morning cottage cheese. I can't stand to really eat in the morning, so this is a great alternative and 28g of Protein to start my day! I am a little scared of getting good restriction too quickly as I am not sure I am a really good chewer yet, although I try. As for scrambled eggs, I always add just a little mayo to the mix and it keeps them moist and no problems, I cannot have eggs any other way, even without restriction, hard boiled seems to be the worst, ouch.

had i but waited. i was at work when all that slime happened yesterday. i get home and im thinking i dont want anything aggresive for dinner; hmmm? what to have? oh, i know!! egg salad without the bread. i love eggs you see. you see? do you see???? i found out the hard... very hard way... MY BAND DOES NOT LIKE EGGS. ha. lol. boiled egg with a little mayo. im thinking smooth and creamy. um no. another episode. i thought to myself, well, im probably still a little sore. i called it a night. it wasn't even head hunger you know? it was just that i knew i had not eaten much that day. this morning i think, well, maybe a hard boiled egg, little bit of salt. ok. i know, i know, i know. stop the egg eating. its like i had to try you know? i not only pb'd my first bite, i retched. not good. im at work now and its been over an hour. my chest is still sore. i had even retched some red i knew that was not good. eggs are out. im not sad though. this is the body that rice built. bread built. tortillas built. and i dont eat those anymore and i dont miss them. eggs just made the most NOT wanted list. ho hum.

WyldVelia,

I was having trouble with hard boiled eggs, egg salad, etc, until I threw the yolk out. I can eat egg whites, with no problem. (If you try this, go slow, and don't beat me up if it doesn't work for you!).

You mentioned the chicken; for me, if chicken is dry, it doesn't matter how lubed up it is with sauce. Also, I made some really moist cornish game hens a few weeks ago, but I think the meat was too dense or something. Even with sauce, teeny tiny bites, no go. Just a warning.

:cake:

JACK, IM WITH YOU. THE DEVILED KIND ARE SOOOOO GOOD. I WAS AT A BBQ LAST WEEKEND AND I ENJOYED 4 HALVES OF DEVILED eggs. BUT THEN AGAIN I WAS FILLED JUST A COUPLE DAYS AGO. GO FIGURE.

"ODE TO EGGS"

WHAT WAS, IS NO LONGER,

WHAT IS, WE WILL SEE,

WHAT CAN BE WILL BE

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

Wow...I am totally amazed at how long some of you are able to wait through a sliming episode! As soon as I feel my mouth start to Water and things start getting a tad "flooded" down there, I can wait no more than 20 min before I'm off to the bathroom for a good cough.

And it's so weird...after I get rid of whatever was bothering me, I'm totally okay to go shead and eat what I was eating that caused the problem in the first place! So weird...

On the matter of eggs: Like some of you, scrambled sometimes gives me problems. I like my eggs cooked well, but La Femme Bandita doesn't, so omlettes and hard scrambled is out now. And as for chicken...I had a really embarassing chicken salad episode about a month ago and since then, haven't touched the stuff!

I am new to this sight and to the band. I was banded on April11th of this year. I have not had a fill yet ( next week ) and I have already lost 28 pounds. I am confused reading these threads- what is a PB and sliming? Have I just been lucky or will this happen after I have a fill?

I'm not eatin' eggs NO MORE!!! I'd rather have cream of wheat than go through the discomfort of EVIL EGGS!!! :) Scrambled eggs were on my docs list of OK mushie foods. NOT!!

Tonight, I had Gorton's frozen fish - the kind with no breading. (THANK YOU FOR THE TIP PHOTONUT.) The piece is 3 ounces. And some cauliflower with a little melted cheese. About 2/3 through the fish and 2 bites of the veggie, I had this great big sigh. Dang! It was tasting so good, too. I really didn't want to stop, but I did. I'm still learning about what my soft stops are going to be. The first time I sighed I didn't listen. UGH! :cry I feel full now, and no golf ball. :clap2:

stinaNYC,

Ummmm, you think I wasn't TRYING to bring that egg back up? LOL Believe me I PB'd several times! I think there must be a difference between getting something stuck IN the stoma and eating something that won't go through the stoma. I brought up both bites of egg I swallowed - the first bit came up after about 40 minutes, but it took hours and hours before the rest came up and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying. It went on so long I finally called my doctor! Thank GOD I knew what was going on through reading on LapBandTalk or I would have been FREAKING OUT! Wouldn't you know it, right after I got off the phone with my doctor, the last bit came up and I felt fine.

I went on Clear liquids for the rest of that day, full liquids the next, and mushies on day three. After that I went back to normal food with no problems. Thank you Lord! I did discover that the slowing down of weight loss can be solved with a good PB. Over the next three days I dropped three pounds! lol Oh my.

As far as other types of eggs go . . . no problem. Over easy, egg salad, devilled, no problem. I'm not crazy enough to try boiled with a bit of salt and pepper. Nope. Uh uh.

truckinmama,

PB is a polite euphamism. PB stands for productive burp which is a polite way of saying throwin up. It's really not the same as vomit though because the food hasn't been in your stomach with the stomach acids so it looks just like when you swallowed it - gooey chomped up food. Yuck. The other difference is there's not vomit smell, at least not for me or that I've heard from anyone else. As far as sliming goes, you produce a whole lot more saliva than you ever suspected. When something get's stuck or can't go past your band, your saliva doesn't go through either. It builds up until eventually you have to start spitting it out. It becomes quite thick and slimey, probably as your body is trying to help lubricate the situation so whatever it is will slide past. Although, regular saliva might be this thick and slimey all the time and we just don't notice it! Hmmmm. Never really though about it before. God. I hope you're not eating while you read this! Yuck.

Wyldvelia,

Red in your PB? That doesn't sound good. It's been a couple of days, how are you doing now?

donna, im doing well. thanks for asking. right now im eating a salad. chunks of turkey, some spinach leaves, slicedd mushrooms, little bit of cottage cheese and Salad Dressing. sounds like a lot, but theres only a little of each. it is soooo good. the first bite sorta scared me, felt a little bit of the 'stuck' feeling. there is same salad left and .... here goes.. its in the garbage. ahhh. i do feel satisfied.

re: the reply about the Devil reincarnated as Eggs... the funny thing is,is that i dont miss bread, rice, Pasta. those were my mainstays. i love that stuff. i was so scared that i would miss eggs in my diet. i'm an eggy person. after work for dinner most nights (k, not all, but some) i would scramble two eggs, warm up two tortillas and call it good. BUT GUESS WHAT? the same as all the white stuff (rice, sugar, flour, etc) i dont miss them. i tried to eat them, forced myself to try them, but to no avail. i even went so far as to poach a couple of them; whites cooked, and yolk runny... NO CAN DO. lol. i know now. im at 17lbs down now. two lbs in a the last couple days. i love this fill. it was that damn learning curve. i still condsider myself a turtle, but im gaining speed. TONIGHT STARTS THE CURVES REGIME. lol. -r