Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you do for Holiday Eating?

Hi everyone.. just wondering how everyone did for the Holiday with their eating. I found myself nibbling on sweets for the first time on Christmas day and I didn't eat much but am now feeling worried that I may have messed up my whole system and will crave sugar again. I had a handful of pecans that were glazed and one cinn. roll (mini about one inch wide).. and felt like I ate a ton of cheese and it all went in easy and well. Is it normal to feel on occasion that your tummy isn't tiny anymore??

Did anyone experience a bad day this early on.. 5 week post op.. of eating off the healthy wagon and if so were you able to get back in control fast?

:thumbup:

I enjoyed about 2oz of ham, 2oz of broccoli/rice/cheese, 2 bites of the green Beans, and about 2/3 of a crescent roll with jelly and brummel & brown butter. (I just copied/pasted this from my thread I started yesterday).

I did have 1/2 of a sugar cookie, I shared a bag of Dill pickle flavored potato chips with the kiddo and 3 pink Starbursts. I munched on some Gardetto Rye chips. I usually do not snack most days, but I'm trying to maintain my loss at this point. So, my eating habits have changed quite a bit from the early days/months post-op. Also, I've never had the carb craving carbs issues that some people experience. I can eat carbs all day long then the next day have zero desire for them. I'm almost 7 months out, and still have never felt hungry. Everyone is different, and I honestly think that what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else.

I didn't have either of my WLS to feel deprived for the rest of my life. I refuse to stop living a normal lifestyle. At this point, (meaning starting this next week) I'll go back to counting Protein and white carbs only. Calories, complex carbs, and fats are not a concern of mine at this point.

I treated it like a holiday!

More sweets than I should have had...but probably about 1% of what I had last year. Sum total spread out over the entire evening: two pieces of Peanut Butter fudge, a 1/4 cup of the cheerios out of CHEX-Mix, and my supper which was 2 oz Light and Fit yogurt, one meatball, and 1 tsp artichoke dip. I sipped low sugar Gatorade all evening.

Last year....geez...almost ashamed to say: Probably 12-15 pieces of Peanut Butter fudge, easily a dozen Christmas frosted Cookies, 2-3 sugar yum yums (sugar cookies), 3-4 pieces of chocolate fudge, 3-4 peanut butter balls, several cups of Chex-Mix, pistachio bark, peppermint bark, 3-4 peanut butter blossoms, divinity, pecan log roll, pecan pie, chocolate Charlie (local product made with milk chocolate, peanuts and homemade marshmallows), chocolate chip Cookies, macadamia nut cookies, meringue cookies..............(this is all mom's normal "spread" at Christmas), in addition to the fantastic meal she prepares!

I'm so grateful for my TOOL!

Thank for the feedback Tiffykins and Tracy... I felt so out of control after finally having so much control for 5 weeks.. and am having an easier time today getting back on track but find myself being drawn to my old habits really bad this Holiday weekend.... and my tummy is able to take in much more food than I thought it would ... I think I can drink a 12-16 oz Protein shake in an hour... I can eat about 2-3oz of food at at time and some times it seems like this is too much ... I need to remember to SLOW down that is hard to remember some days.. but I agree with you Tracy.. in comparison.. there is NONE.. I just don't want to sabotage my losing ability. My surgeon told us that the first 6mths was a "gift" of how fast your body would want to lose weight and after that it's harder.. so I was feeling guilty for for giving into tempation...

We will see on my weigh in day on Tuesday what the scale says and hopefully I can at least maintain this week.. :)

Well, here's what I had:

Breakfast was one homemade biscuit ( my hubby wanted pancakes and I refused, so he mixed up the biscuits and baked them on his new Pampered Chef stone), with a little butter and mayhaw jelly. A treat for sure!

lunch was about 2 oz of roast beef, 1 tablespoon of white rice with some gravy, a bite or two of a roll, about a tablespoon of broccoli casserole, and a bite or two of salad.

I ate three oreo truffles between lunch and dinner.

dinner was 2 oz of ham, 2-3 tablespoons of broccoli casserole and 2 tablespoons of homemade mac and cheese. I was WAY too full.

It was a great Christmas!

well here is what i had 3 weeks out today:

no Breakfast really-1/2 cont. yogurt with fruit

for lunch: 2 oz turkey, 1 table squash cass, 1 table green Beans, 1 table homemade cornbread dressing-my moms! so good, 1 table butter Beans, 1 table pea salad, 1 table copperpennies. couldn't finish all of this but did have it on my plate. ate all of the turkey and dressing. have beat myself up over this. but like someone else said compared to what i have eaten of all the christmas dinners past this is remarkable!! we have gone from plate fulls to little bird portions.

for supper: a 1 egg veggie omelet and only are half. also had sf chocolate pudding with sf cool whip on it. that tasted so good. also a few bites of cornbread dressing again. that stuff goes down so good.

wish i could find something with low carbs like that! it is mushy is why. but i know it is loaded with carbs cause of cornbread!!

I have done horrible the past few days. Christmas day I had nothing but junk. I did have a Protein drink for breakfast but nothing but junk the rest of the day. We went out to a buffet and I had one bite of prime rib and it didn't go down well so I had a piece of pecan pie.

Needless to say, I have gained 4 lbs and I will be glad when the holidays are over.

I have done better today and ate the right things but then this evening I had some Cookies again.

I know I'll be able to get back on track as soon as I stop running around visting people who have platters of goodies to offer me. I have zero will power when it comes to sweets but I am going to work on that after the New year. I saw a book on a web site for sugar addicts and I am considering buying that and learning to detox from sugar. I wish I was like the other people who say that sugar does not appeal to them anymore.

I did okay through Christmas, but then came down to North Carolina to visit family and have done horrible ever since. There have been so many temptations that I have not passed by...cake and chips mostly, that I normally do not have at home. I also have not been able to exercise, but plan to walk tomorrow. There is no scale here so not sure of the weight at this point. I figure it is a vacation/holiday and I'll get back to normal soon (which for me always includes some treats/snacks, just not the grazing I've been doing the last couple of days).

I can sum up the Holiday week with one word - GRAZING. All the Christmas goodies started pouring in, and I would take "just one" or "just a bite or two". Unfortunately, I seemed to do that ALL day long for several days. Fortunately the quantity eaten this year was a small fraction of what I could put away in years past. I got back on my program yesterday (short of 1/2 a small popcorn I shared with my husband at the movies yesterday). I still am craving carbs a bit, but resisting.

I can relate to all this.....if I could have "just one" I wouldn't have required surgery! Once the carb demon is awakened however, it takes me weeks to beat him back into his cave!

bludgening tool in hand.......

Prior to having this WLS, I didn't think about being a carb addict. I just thought I was hungry a lot, especially at bedtime. Now with my sleeve, I know I'm not hungry and have been able to associate eating simple carbs with head hunger and cravings. The more simple carbs I eat, the MORE I CRAVE. It's an EVIL cycle. I guess the first step is admitting you have a problem. :)

I can totally relate. I am so glad that I am going back to work tomorrow. I sure hope nobody brings any junk to work tomorrow. It's clear to me that I am a sugar addict.

Thank you for all your replies. My last family function was yesterday and I grazed a little here and there and had a few things like "funyons".. and a couple of chips.. and I am feeling it for sure this am as this is the first time since surgery that I woke up feeling "fat and bloated".. my rings tighter on my hands and today will start an interesting challenge for me of detoxing off those habits again. I knew my sleeve was working because I couldn't eat a lot at one time..but every half hour or so I could get a few bites in and I know those calories and salt are going to show up on the scale ...

It is good to know that I'm not alone in being able to resist the temptation or feel the pull towards old habits. I really appreciate the honesty that comes with this forum and there are days that I feel so alone with my new life .. that is right until I come here and read some things and I fall right back into place!!

Thanks Tiffy and Judy and all the rest of you who always seem to reply to everyone's threads!