Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overweight instead of Obese

I decided to use the trusty BMI calculator and found that I am out of the Obese category. I honestly never thought (before surgery) I would see a BMI under 30, but today it's there in black and white. My starting BMI was 48.1 (pre-sleeve revision, and 49.4 before Lapband), and here it is 6 months post-op revision, and 14 months after LapBand, I've dropped a total of 19 points off my BMI.

The sleeve is absolutely amazing. I can't even begin to describe just how fabulous this entire journey has been for me. Even with the complications, long recovery, and frustrations, it's all so worth it.

Edited by Tiffykins

Tiffykins,

Do you think your amount of weight loss in such a short time is "normal" with the sleeve or do you think your rather extreme complications accelerated your loss?

I think we all tend to think ahead, plan ahead..perhaps "wish" ahead...and wonder what our own weight loss will be....will it compare to TIFFYKINS???? lol

Tracy

Tiffykins,

Do you think your amount of weight loss in such a short time is "normal" with the sleeve or do you think your rather extreme complications accelerated your loss?

I think we all tend to think ahead, plan ahead..perhaps "wish" ahead...and wonder what our own weight loss will be....will it compare to TIFFYKINS???? lol

Tracy

I know my complications contributed to my quick loss. I also know I'm partially responsible for the quick loss only because I couldn't bring myself to eat. There were times when my surgeon threatened me with a feeding tube. I look back at the first couple of months, my stress levels, and realize I had what my surgeon called "on-set anorexia". It was easy to not eat, I was never hungry. Plus, food disgusted me.

I literally had to force myself to eat or I knew my surgeon would hospitalize me again.

I also had a lot to lose. Starting the VSG revision, I stand 5'2", and weighed in at 263. My "ideal weight" is 129-140 pounds per the NY Life insurance tables (our health insurance uses the guidelines). So, technically, I had a lot to lose, and it's been noted a lot that the more someone has to lose, the quicker they drop the initial weight. Men seem to lose faster also which is always unfair. Maybe because I carried all of my weight like a giant beer-belly (like most men), that contributed to my quick results.

I have been able to get my loss to slow down by increasing my carb intake. I eat 3 meals a day, and have snack in between meals every other, or every 3 days.

Wow, Tiff! As always, you are a true inspiration! I hope to be like you one day! :)

Good Job Tiff!!

I've got 1 more point to be "overweight" and not obese!!

I've gone from a BMI of 54 to 30!!!

That ONE more point is like that ONE more pound to get to ONEderland! ( Ironic huh???)

Tiffykins and Chancie....

Just in case you were brought up not to say "I'm proud of myself" .....I will say it for you!

I'M PROUD THAT TIFFYKINS and CHANCIE ARE SUCH BIG LOSERS!!!!!!

For everyone acheiveing that very special place in life, of dropping to a new level on the BMI chart that has caused us all so much embarrassment, pain, shame and disappointment, I salute you...and can't wait to join you!

Tracy

Good Job Tiff!!

That ONE more point is like that ONE more pound to get to ONEderland! ( Ironic huh???)

Chancie that is so awesome, and that is so cool that one pound will change drop your BMI, and get you to onederland. You are amazing, and I'm so happy to have you in my life during this journey.

Thanks Tracy ! ! !

I decided to use the trusty BMI calculator and found that I am out of the Obese category. I honestly never thought (before surgery) I would see a BMI under 30, but today it's there in black and white. My starting BMI was 48.1 (pre-sleeve revision, and 49.4 before Lapband), and here it is 6 months post-op revision, and 14 months after LapBand, I've dropped a total of 19 points off my BMI.

The sleeve is absolutely amazing. I can't even begin to describe just how fabulous this entire journey has been for me. Even with the complications, long recovery, and frustrations, it's all so worth it.

Good for you Tiffy! It's a long struggle, but I'm so glad there is help out there for us, that is a great BMI. . . the doctor thought my BMI of 41 was not enough to put me on a pre-op diet. . . . that was my first NSV! :001_tongue:

Good Job Tiff!!

Just grow a couple of inches taller, then you will be all good on the BMI scale. Kidding, super congrats to you and Tiff both. You are both very inspirational.

Bill

How wonderful everyone is doing! I, like Tiffy, will be losing quickly. . . . from what I know of myself from tried and failed diets, I lose weight fast (100 lbs in 8 months) that was fast. . . but of course, once i stopped the phentermine, it came on faster then 7 months but at least i didn't gain more then where i started from. . . good job to all the ladies and gentlemen . . . it is a lot of work, and you all deserve big hugs ! Keep up the good work!

Tiffy, your attitude throughout your journey with all you have been through has been an inspiration. Your an amazing woman. Congratulations!